Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:47 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But we don't have the original documents any more, jimmie. We have only copies of copies of copies, and translations made through the best, but still fallible, efforts of human beings. That's what we have to keep in mind. Furthermore, we don't even know for sure which of the original documents should be considered "scripture." Do you have any idea how many times the books which comprise today's Protestant canon have been revised since the first and second centuries?
The Dead Sea Scrolls represent nearly every book of the Old Testament, and comparisons with more recent manuscripts show them to be virtually identical—the main deviations are the spellings of some individuals’ names and various numbers quoted in Scripture.

While no one today possesses the original autographs, we do have many extant copies, and the work of biblical historians via the science of textual criticism gives us great confidence that today’s Bible is an accurate reflection of the original writers’ work.

https://www.gotquestions.org/original-Bible.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 02:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The Bible was written by God Himself as He worked through human authors in a process called “inspiration.” “All scripture is God-breathed” (2 Timothy 3:16).

See also 2 Peter 1:21

21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Biblical-inerrancy.html

Fact is whatever pov one has towards the Bible would have been no less if one read the "originals" or heard the words in person from the very lips of Jesus himself.
Moderator cut: delete
The doctrine that God the Holy Spirit says concerning the Bible is 2 Timothy 3:15-17 in addition to John 6:63.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-05-2017 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: insulting and naming poster

Old 08-05-2017, 02:57 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are so many bibles out there and I've NEVER read even a page of one. Raised with the 10 Commandments and they make a lot of good sense. No religion for me these days and no bible stories.

I subscribe to Freedom From Religion group and they sent me a little brochure at one time about the persecution of women...ENOUGH....
Something us Quakers have dealt with fairly effectively, I hope. Early Christianity seems to have been fairly egalitarian for the time and culture but then came the professional clergy that decided to merge their forming religion with neo-Platonist thought and boy were THEY down on women!

Old 08-05-2017, 03:04 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
How?
I mean how could it be?
Oh, if it only were inerrant...how nice that would be.
And I'm not some Bible hater, either...it's just, that's the way it is...men and their edits.

One only has to see how men in power changed it by going to Psalm 46, KJV only.
Count down 46 words, then count up 46 words coming to shakes and spear...
Our good ole King James' homage to W. Shakespeare who was 46.

And no need to make me out as some villain...or a scholar either that can prove all
the changes...there are books galore about shifty reasons why 'those in power'
deleted some things.
And I'm not happy about it.
Doesn't mean I'm attacking those that love it...I mainly disagree with some
interpretations some have, that's all.

And if you get angry at me...sorry...I am unemotional about this...it would be nice if it were
never tampered with!

When Protestants translated--only Catholicism translating remained and Hebrew of course. The originals were gone. They all contain errors in translating. The NEW world translation fixed the errors. Rejected by those living in error. So basically--Catholicism translating or JW translating, or protestant translating from Catholicism translating. one is putting their life everlasting in Gods kingdom on one of those translatings.
We all must choose who we believe--the only way to really know--learn all that Jesus taught. Then one can see clearer.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Something us Quakers have dealt with fairly effectively, I hope. Early Christianity seems to have been fairly egalitarian for the time and culture but then came the professional clergy that decided to merge their forming religion with neo-Platonist thought and boy were THEY down on women!
I've attended some Quaker services, such as they are, and they seemed to fit good with me. I go no where NOW..lots of years of checking so much out. Never checked out the fundi stuff or temples.. Living in a large city we have SO MANY religions to check into. Self Realization got me hooked for a time.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
the only way to really know--learn all that Jesus taught.
Then one can see clearer.
Could I change that to practice all that Jesus taught?

'Hepburn hates doctrine'... boy, shot yourself in the foot on that one, twin.spin...anyone that knows me here or in real life
would not place hate with my name ever...kinda showed your hand there
...and clever name...'spin'...I see that now.
I don't even hate you...or the dog next door that barks too much.... oh, yeah...and don't have a doctrine! Ha!

Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,730,460 times
Quote:
We have only copies of copies of copies, and
and we have Jews who did all that copying ... they are diamond cutters also for a reason.. close isn't good enough. they have to have perfection or they start over.. we can thank them for being so ........ so ...... meticulous... a people made just for copying the dot and tittles and keep his words .
now the dotters and tiddlers have their own sets of sins.... but sloppy copying was not one of them.
again I am indebted to them and I chose to love them and honor them every way I can and not in the ways I can't and I will not feel guilty for that .
But my love for them and their gift to mankind has been an incredible gift.. and that alone will cover a multitude of their sins and lack in my heart towards them.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-05-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 03:45 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
and we have Jews who did all that copying ... they are diamond cutters also for a reason.. close isn't good enough. they have to have perfection or they start over.. we can thank them for being so ........ so ...... meticulous... a people made just for copying the dot and tittles and keep his words .
now the dotters and tiddlers have their own sets of sins.... but sloppy copying was not one of them.

I never thought of that analology.
I can relate somewhat as an artist. I went through a training phase back when I was very young. For the sake of perfection I would work on a piece with ink only.

An excellent practice of focus in my opinion.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've attended some Quaker services, such as they are, ...
Thank you for the best laugh of the day. "Service" may not be the best term, huh? Why we say "meeting."

Old 08-05-2017, 03:55 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,730,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I never thought of that analology.
I can relate somewhat as an artist. I went through a training phase back when I was very young. For the sake of perfection I would work on a piece with ink only.

An excellent practice of focus in my opinion.
sure I am artistic tooo and perfection is the only way to do art , no matter what you are doing to that paper . it needs to be exact what you want it to be ..
or exactly how you see it.
but to the person of words..... the words have to the perfect words...
and copying it about perfected words and glory of that perfect example , be it art or words.
we owe the jews so much ... but still don't worship in their temple because they can copy but they did some things wrong and that will be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity