Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Really? Abstain from meats offered to idols, avoid blood, flee fornication, avoid things strangled. And this was said to new converts right after they said they didn't need to tell them more than that INITIALLY, because after all, Moses is read every Shabbat, meaning they would pick it up later.

Odd too, that Acts talks about how many THOUSANDS of Jews that believed were even more zealous of the law afterwards.

You want to talk about this is wrong, that is wrong, but the big ticket item that is wrong that nobody wants to see after 1900 years of error, is that it never ended and you're a gentile again no matter what you do, because you were grafted into a covenant you ignore. Peace
Interesting too that Paul would later contradict this sop to the Ebionites regarding meat offered to idols. Whether the others indicated good sense about things that were demonstrably harmful I'll leave to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
If the sun is directly above your head, you will not cast a shadow.

True, but since that means perfect uprightness, which also means the moon is beneath your feet (law as foundation) as the woman/soul with the crown, how do you obtain that seeing how you reject the moon? Peace

Old 08-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Interesting too that Paul would later contradict this sop to the Ebionites regarding meat offered to idols. Whether the others indicated good sense about things that were demonstrably harmful I'll leave to you.

It was not contradicted, it was not to be used when in the company of gentiles if it was going to cause them to stumble by refusing their hospitality. That was the ONLY time, because of the motive of the heart. Peace

Old 08-27-2017, 07:09 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
True, but since that means perfect uprightness, which also means the moon is beneath your feet (law as foundation) as the woman/soul with the crown, how do you obtain that seeing how you reject the moon? Peace

Rbbi I have no problem with the law being the foundation as it were. Because I understand the law is spiritual, not literal. It is written in mythos just as Paul showed with Sarah and Hagar.

To take that which is spiritual literally is the reason so many people believe God is some kind of a monster much worse then anything Hitler could ever think of being.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Quote:
It was not contradicted, it was not to be used when in the company of gentiles if it was going to cause them to stumble by refusing their hospitality. That was the ONLY time, because of the motive of the heart. Peace
1 Cor 8:1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The one who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the one who loves God is known by God.

4So about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world, and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many so-called gods and lords), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we exist. And there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we exist.

7But not everyone has this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that they eat such food as if it were sacrificed to an idol. And since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us closer to God: We are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

9Be careful, however, that your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if someone with a weak conscience sees you who are well informed eating in an idol’s temple, will he not be encouraged to eat food sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12By sinning against your brothers in this way and wounding their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to stumble.

So, basically, it is just the "weak brothers" that have a problem with meat offered to idols and they need to be educated inthe truth about it.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Rbbi I have no problem with the law being the foundation as it were. Because I understand the law is spiritual, not literal. It is written in mythos just as Paul showed with Sarah and Hagar.

To take that which is spiritual literally is the reason so many people believe God is some kind of a monster much worse then anything Hitler could ever think of being.

Paul said that Sarah and Hagar, meaning what happened between them, was also for our example basically, as it pointed to the two kingdoms. That doesn't mean it didn't happen literally.

I see a G-d who protected His seed coming down through the generations, just as you would protect your son from foreign invaders trying to murder him. Should I change the way I see Him to appease those that don't know Him? Peace

Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Paul said that Sarah and Hagar, meaning what happened between them, was also for our example basically, as it pointed to the two kingdoms. That doesn't mean it didn't happen literally.

I see a G-d who protected His seed coming down through the generations, just as you would protect your son from foreign invaders trying to murder him. Should I change the way I see Him to appease those that don't know Him? Peace

Paul did not say they were example he said they were an allegory of the two covenants.

And I know you see God killing others to protect his own down through the generations, I however disagree with that because that is NOT the God Jesus revealed to us.

You can believe as you like rbbi, but you will never get me to believe God tosses aside his own commandment not to kill and goes about killing men, women and children to protect his own. And the foreign invaders were the Israelites for the Canaanites already lived in the land.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:02 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
It's the other God of Religion, man himself, who rapes, kills and pillages through violence.

Especially, in times of war.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Paul did not say they were example he said they were an allegory of the two covenants.

And I know you see God killing others to protect his own down through the generations, I however disagree with that because that is NOT the God Jesus revealed to us.

You can believe as you like rbbi, but you will never get me to believe God tosses aside his own commandment not to kill and goes about killing men, women and children to protect his own. And the foreign invaders were the Israelites for the Canaanites already lived in the land.

Saying something is an allegory, STILL doesn't mean it didn't really happen, exactly as told.

Yes, land G-d had given by promise to someone else. The Canaanites were not going to go along with the plan, obviously. Killing is different than murder. G-d can kill all day long and there is no sin to be found in it, try as you might. For the simple reason that 1) He is G-d and do with His creation as He pleases, and 2) He can also raise them up, as all are alive unto Him.

That's exactly the G-d Jesus revealed to you when He prophesied the coming destruction of the Temple and 1.5 million deaths (speaking ONLY what He heard His Father speak). You just don't want to take off your rose colored glasses. The same G-d that destroyed the Egyptian's first born, and then the army in the waters of the sea. Peace

Old 08-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
1 Cor 8:1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The one who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the one who loves God is known by God.

4So about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world, and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many so-called gods and lords), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we exist. And there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we exist.

7But not everyone has this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that they eat such food as if it were sacrificed to an idol. And since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us closer to God: We are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

9Be careful, however, that your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if someone with a weak conscience sees you who are well informed eating in an idol’s temple, will he not be encouraged to eat food sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12By sinning against your brothers in this way and wounding their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to stumble.

So, basically, it is just the "weak brothers" that have a problem with meat offered to idols and they need to be educated inthe truth about it.

Did you notice in your translation here, the words "well informed"? The weak brother is the one who is NOT well informed, doesn't know not to eat meat sacrificed to idols. Which is why Paul said above not to eat it, because if a weak one sees you eating it, they will think it's ok, and sin against Christ. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity