Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 10:52 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,428,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Are you serious??? You do know the RCC didn't exist in Paul's time, right? The ONLY scriptures Paul had to refer to, was the ones he grew up hearing every Shabbat in the temple, and that he studied night and day as a student of Gamaliel, grandson of Hillel. Peace

Again you are missing the point. the RCC accepted the Septuagint with the other books that were in it as their canon.

It was the Septuagint bible that Paul read and quoted from so again on what authority do you say Paul was only referring to the Jewish/protestant canon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 02:25 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,081,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Again you are missing the point. the RCC accepted the Septuagint with the other books that were in it as their canon.

It was the Septuagint bible that Paul read and quoted from so again on what authority do you say Paul was only referring to the Jewish/protestant canon?

Well let's look at how the Jews felt about the Greek translation, and then you tell me that Hebrew speaking Jews used it in what was considered sacred contexts, ie. worship, teaching, ect. From Chabad....

"The Hellenistic king of Egypt was fascinated by the idea of the Torah, and ordered the sages to produce a translation. He was worried they might falsify something, so he made 72 sages sit in separate cubicles, so that each one would write an independent version. Miraculously, their translations tallied with each other, even when it came to delicate passages which could easily be misconstrued.

Nonetheless, the later Jewish sages commented that the day the Torah was translated into Greek “was as difficult for the Jewish people as the day when the Golden Calf was made, because the Torah cannot really be translated.”

The reason, has in part, to do with this simple fact.

Biblical Hebrew, also known as "Lashon Kodesh" (The Holy Tongue) is a unique language. It is the only language whose letters communicate meaning independent of the words they form.

In most languages letters don't have independent value. They don’t communicate any meaning. A letter is a symbol that indicates a sound (much like a musical note) and is only valuable when paired with other letters to form a word. Even then, it is the word that communicates meaning, not the letters. Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 08-20-2017 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Well let's look at how the Jews felt about the Greek translation, and then you tell me that Hebrew speaking Jews used it in what was considered sacred contexts, ie. worship, teaching, ect. From Chabad....

"The Hellenistic king of Egypt was fascinated by the idea of the Torah, and ordered the sages to produce a translation. He was worried they might falsify something, so he made 72 sages sit in separate cubicles, so that each one would write an independent version. Miraculously, their translations tallied with each other, even when it came to delicate passages which could easily be misconstrued.

Nonetheless, the later Jewish sages commented that the day the Torah was translated into Greek “was as difficult for the Jewish people as the day when the Golden Calf was made, because the Torah cannot really be translated.”

The reason, has in part, to do with this simple fact.

Biblical Hebrew, also known as "Lashon Kodesh" (The Holy Tongue) is a unique language. It is the only language whose letters communicate meaning independent of the words they form.

In most languages letters don't have independent value. They don’t communicate any meaning. A letter is a symbol that indicates a sound (much like a musical note) and is only valuable when paired with other letters to form a word. Even then, it is the word that communicates meaning, not the letters. Peace
And if you ask the KJV only crowd they would say and have pretty much the same thing about all bibles that are not the KJV.

So that proves nothing.

However if we look at what bible Jesus quoted from, whether it is based on the Hebrew/Masorite text or the Septuagint we get this.

Lets play the sesame street game, one of these things is not like the other, can you guess which one?

Mark 7:6-7
He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with*their*lips, but their heart is far from me.
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching*for*doctrines the commandments of men.

Hebrew/Masorite text KJV

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near*me*with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Septuagint

*And the Lord has said, This people draw nigh to me with their mouth, and they honour me with their lips, but their heart is far from me: but in vain do they worship me, teaching the commandments and doctrines of men.

So which one of the two versions matches up with what Jesus says in Mark 7?

Oh and the reason the Jews hate the Septuagint is because the early church used the Septuagint to prove Jesus Christ was the Messiah and the Jews just could not have that.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
And if you ask the KJV only crowd they would say and have pretty much the same thing about all bibles that are not the KJV.

So that proves nothing.

However if we look at what bible Jesus quoted from, whether it is based on the Hebrew/Masorite text or the Septuagint we get this.

Lets play the sesame street game, one of these things is not like the other, can you guess which one?

He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with*their*lips, but their heart is far from me.
Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching*for*doctrines the commandments of men.

Hebrew/Masorite text KJV

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near*me*with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Septuagint

*And the Lord has said, This people draw nigh to me with their mouth, and they honour me with their lips, but their heart is far from me: but in vain do they worship me, teaching the commandments and doctrines of men.

Oh and the reason the Jews hate the Septuagint is because the early church used the Septuagint to prove Jesus Christ was the Messiah and the Jews just could not have that.

No, they hate the Greek language because it obscures the meaning, which anyone can see if they study Hebrew, in a hot second. Peace

Old 08-22-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
No, they hate the Greek language because it obscures the meaning, which anyone can see if they study Hebrew, in a hot second. Peace
Then why did Jesus quote from the Greek Septuagint? I thought you said a Jew would not do that because they would not believe it to be sacred text, yet Jesus quoted it over what the Hebrew text said. Would that not indicate that Jesus believed the Septuagint was inspired scripture?

Old 08-22-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Then why did Jesus quote from the Greek Septuagint? I thought you said a Jew would not do that because they would not believe it to be sacred text, yet Jesus quoted it over what the Hebrew text said. Would that not indicate that Jesus believed the Septuagint was inspired scripture?

First of all, how do you know He did? Peace

Old 08-22-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Tis right here

Quote:

So that proves nothing.

Hebrew/Masorite text KJV

Septuagint

Old 08-22-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Tis right here

That proves nothing except the translators chose the text. Peace

Old 08-22-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
That proves nothing except the translators chose the text. Peace
Oh I see the bible does not = scriptures because of the translators. Those dam scribes ruin everything.

Hey! is that not what I have been saying from the beginning? The lying pen of the scribes have added to and taken away from the scriptures.

But you would probably say that, that is true of every translation except the Hebrew bible.

You sound just like the KJV only crowd.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:48 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,160,511 times
Quote:
Maybe those who penned the commentary quoted from the Septuagint instead of the Hebrew Scriptures...Considering that Jesus probably spoke Aramaic, not Greek, considering he was a poor carpenter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity