Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,049,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The motive of my heart from a position of love would be to lay down my own life, not that of another.
Your excessive or erotic interest in oneself and their narcissistic beliefs are not impressing anyone.

And that, qualifies as the most whacked insult you have ever made. Congratulations. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 03:28 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I understand that it can be spiritualized and I don't want to argue with you about that. The symbolism you see in that story is important and meaningful to you.
I'm glad you can see my point to a degree. I would just say that a parent being willing to "sacrifice" their child in any sense of the word, literally or figuratively, isn't the same as a parent laying down their own life, literally or figuratively.

Quote:
The spiritual, of course. We obviously don't see eye to eye on the spiritual meaning of a lot of things -- that's just the way it is -- because we have different views of the nature of God and God's relationship to humanity.

Also, I no longer look for spiritual symbolism in the bible. If it comes, it comes, and I allow/welcome it, but I don't seek it, because I'm seeking to grow in my relationship with what is Real. But, I have been into bible symbolism in the past, and at the time, some of it was edifying in that it did stir up the desire for a relationship with what is Real, for me. I believe the same is true for you. So, I'm learning not to assume you or anyone else needs to let go of the same things that I have. Bible symbolism is important for you, unless and until it no longer is. Doesn't mean my "path" is better or more advanced than yours, it's just different than yours and uniquely fitted for me, and more advanced for me.
I really hope I worded that in the way my heart is intending it to be received.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
The motive of my heart from a position of love would be to lay down my own life, not that of another.
Your
excessive or erotic interest in oneself and their narcissistic beliefs are not impressing anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
And that, qualifies as the most whacked insult you have ever made. Congratulations. Peace
Perhaps, but that is the way you sound and come across with your fanaticism.
And nobody has to believe the same way that you do, nor follow your commands.

No matter how zealous or passionate you are in your beliefs, or how you see yourself.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,049,777 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but that is the way you sound and come across with your fanaticism.
And nobody has to believe the same way that you do, nor follow your commands.

No matter how zealous or passionate you are in your beliefs, or how you see yourself.

The zeal of the Lord's house has consumed me, and I don't have any commands. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 PM

23,179 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
If you believe that God would ask any parent to kill their child as a sacrifice to please God or prove their allegiance, I don't understand why you would want to align yourself with it. That would be like the Nazi soldier being willing to kill to prove to Hitler that he was loyal.

Yeah, that is it.

That is what I am saying to you.

That is my point.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
The zeal of the Lord's house has consumed me, and I don't have any commands. Peace
It's great that it has consumed you. However, other people have a different way of seeing things.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
If you believe that God would ask any parent to kill their child as a sacrifice to please God or prove their allegiance, I don't understand why you would want to align yourself with it. That would be like the Nazi soldier being willing to kill to prove to Hitler that he was loyal.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yeah, that is it.

That is what I am saying to you.

That is my point.
Hanni, I have no doubt that anything happening to your child would be devestating, as it would be for any parent. I also have no doubt that you would rather die than kill your child. Here's my question... Would you also be willing to displease a god that you thought had commanded you to do that to please it, rather than obey such a command?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Hanni, I have no doubt that anything happening to your child would be devestating, as it would be for any parent. I also have no doubt that you would rather die than kill your child. Here's my question... Would you also be willing to displease a god that you thought had commanded you to do that to please it, rather than obey such a command?
Because he knew God, because he knew God was testing him.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:21 PM

Jonah knew God, Job knew God.

Other people talk about knowing God, but Abraham knew God and God visited him.

Jonah laughed at God because he knew God, Jonah knew God wasn't going to curse anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity