Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 05:24 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Because he knew God, because he knew God was testing him.
Quote:
Jonah knew God, Job knew God.

Other people talk about knowing God, but Abraham knew God and God visited him.

Jonah laughed at God because he knew God, Jonah knew God wasn't going to curse anyone.
Are you saying it was fake obedience on Abe's part, and he had no intention of going through with it because he knew God didn't want that? It was all just a game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 06:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
God I know you're only kidding me, so let us wait by faith for a replacement.
I'm sure, another "victim" will come along, getting itself caught in the bushes.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:56 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Are you saying it was fake obedience on Abe's part, and he had no intention of going through with it because he knew God didn't want that? It was all just a game?

I don't know what Hanni thinks, but I don't think Abraham knew it; if he had it wouldn't have been a true test of his obedience and love for G-d. I think G-d's response to him shows that, seeing how G-d knew his heart and all to begin with. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 07:06 PM

No human being or deity would sacrifice it's own offspring, yet that alone of an innocent animal.
Unless, they were struggling to survive, or to maintain control over a religious minded people.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:07 PM

God is moving in the heart of his people, but many are too stiff-necked to see it.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
If you believe that God would ask any parent to kill their child as a sacrifice to please God or prove their allegiance, I don't understand why you would want to align yourself with it. That would be like the Nazi soldier being willing to kill to prove to Hitler that he was loyal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
NO, it wouldn't because you all are forgetting the "invisible" factor here that is the most important: the motive of the heart. You cannot accuse G-d of having a wrong motive on this, when it's obvious that the scene portrays salvation and the resurrection from the dead, CAN YOU? Peace
I realize you are using the word "accuse" for effect, but I'm sure it is clear to you by now that I don't accuse God of anything. What I have said in this thread is that Abe got his wires crossed because he had a mistaken view of God. Probably because he lived in a culture where child sacrifice was practiced. But even the bible states that such a thing was abhorrent to God, and that such a thing "never entered God's mind". In other words -- and this also is not an accusation, because that word implies guilt -- people, not God, came up with the thought that God was wrathful and needed to be appeased/pleased by sacrifice, and some people still believe it. I don't.

If ever it was shown that a "god" actually did demand such a thing, sadly i might not accuse it of anything. I'm a coward and I would be terrified of drawing it's attention. I can only hope that I would have the courage to speak up, and declare what an evil tyrant that "god" was. I would still want to cast my lot with the God of love, even if that God was only real in my mind.

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-14-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
I am saying that you can't put your mind in the mindset of people who were visited by God. I would bet that Abraham knew God would stop him, but I don't know, and neither can anyone know what it feels like to be visited by God, and what a person would do after he was visited by God.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I am saying that you can't put your mind in the mindset of people who were visited by God. I would bet that Abraham knew God would stop him, but I don't know, and neither can anyone know what it feels like to be visited by God, and what a person would do after he was visited by God.

Okay, I'm thinking about this. I agree that love can be overwhelming, especially if you haven't been aware that it surrounds us, and dwells within us. Depending on how much one had cut themselves off from love, and how much one's thoughts were out of sync with love, it is possible that one could interpret a "visitation" of the God who is love through a very cloudy lens. It's true, I don't know how someone might interpret what they experience in such a case.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'm thinking about this. I agree that love can be overwhelming, especially if you haven't been aware that it surrounds us, and dwells within us. Depending on how much one had cut themselves off from love, and how much one's thoughts were out of sync with love, it is possible that one could interpret a "visitation" of the God who is love through a very cloudy lens. It's true, I don't know how someone might interpret what they experience in such a case.

Don't you think it's "odd" that Abraham given recognition as the father of our faith, had this one on one experience with G-d, and yet still was able to do what you consider "evil", and not "love"?

Again, you're clearly willing to ignore the type that his sacrifice presented for all of us, because like or not it is a type of many things, including the resurrection. And if you recall, we are told that EVERYTHING that happened to them, was for our INSTRUCTION. Are you feeling instructed? I don't think so. Peace

Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I realize you are using the word "accuse" for effect, but I'm sure it is clear to you by now that I don't accuse God of anything. What I have said in this thread is that Abe got his wires crossed because he had a mistaken view of God. Probably because he lived in a culture where child sacrifice was practiced. But even the bible states that such a thing was abhorrent to God, and that such a thing "never entered God's mind". In other words -- and this also is not an accusation, because that word implies guilt -- people, not God, came up with the thought that God was wrathful and needed to be appeased/pleased by sacrifice, and some people still believe it. I don't.

If ever it was shown that a "god" actually did demand such a thing, sadly i might not accuse it of anything. I'm a coward and I would be terrified of drawing it's attention. I can only hope that I would have the courage to speak up, and declare what an evil tyrant that "god" was. I would still want to cast my lot with the God of love, even if that God was only real in my mind.

I basically answered this with my other post....but Abraham did not get his wires crossed. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity