Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:20 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times

Advertisements

What was Jesus saying to the recipient when he said this to them ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,734,220 times
in context helps..

Jhn 20:20
And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
Jhn 20:21
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Jhn 20:22
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Jhn 20:23
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

so much for Not judging though.. I believe the whole point of the holy spirit is to Judge rightly..

Old 08-30-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
in context helps..

Jhn 20:20
And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
Jhn 20:21
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Jhn 20:22
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Jhn 20:23
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

so much for Not judging though.. I believe the whole point of the holy spirit is to Judge rightly..
Could you expound on what he meant please rather than just quoting scripture. Thanks x

Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What was Jesus saying to the recipient when he said this to them ?.
It was a common greeting. Don't read more into it than need be. He was there to prove that he had risen from the dead. The exact word he used there was not as important as the fact that he was appearing to the disciples in flesh, having risen.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It was a common greeting. Don't read more into it than need be. He was there to prove that he had risen from the dead. The exact word he used there was not as important as the fact that he was appearing to the disciples in flesh, having risen.
So you do not believe that everything Jesus spoke was in the Spirit. You think he went around saying things like "how's it going". He never spoke one idle word. He spoke who he was and everytime he spoke something, something wonderful happened.

No man spoke like this man John 7:46.

Camps the fluffy stuffy lovey new ager taking the scripture out of context and creating his own theology.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:34 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So you do not believe that everything Jesus spoke was in the Spirit. You think he went around saying things like "how's it going". He never spoke one idle word. He spoke who he was and everytime he spoke something, something wonderful happened.
He's a man, so yes. He greeted them. He said "Hello".
Quote:
No man spoke like this man John 7:46.
OK? So you think every single word he ever spoke was a completely serious and solemn word?

Stop trying to read into every single word in the text. His greeting was not the major part of that passage.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:

OK? So you think every single word he ever spoke was a completely serious and solemn word?

Stop trying to read into every single word in the text. His greeting was not the major part of that passage.
No, I believe everything he said was life to the hearer. Unlike the written word . The letter kills. His greetings without fail put the hearer at peace or because he spoke peace to whoever he wanted it enraged those whom the letter was killing. So everything he said affected someone.

They marveled at the gracious words that came out of his mouth.

There is only one way you can hear the voice of a God and that is when you are still((at peace) Be at peace and know that I am God. Yes of cause I'm taking it out of the context of your comprehension of the scriptures.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:

It seems strange that a "greeting" should come in the middle of a conversation as well as at the beginnning. Seems to be stressing the meaning. Maybe we should look at what that phrase is connected to; the fact that Jesus was "sending" them into the world just as the Father sent Him.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times
Jesus was attempting to calm. I can only imagine the grief and chaos and fear after Rome murdered him.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It seems strange that a "greeting" should come in the middle of a conversation as well as at the beginnning. Seems to be stressing the meaning. Maybe we should look at what that phrase is connected to; the fact that Jesus was "sending" them into the world just as the Father sent Him.
In peace. If they did not go out in peace they would have failed before they opened their pie holes.

You shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace ( I'm obviously quoting this out of context)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity