Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:16 AM

16,113 posts, read 6,441,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
THANK YOU, for giving my experience credibility. I think you have to have changed literally from one moment to the next, to "get" it, perhaps? Peace
I agree. It's fluid, in motion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,984,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm thinking maybe he just hasn't experienced it to write it off as mystical. From what I read up on the subject it's not mystical at all, it's part of the human experience. I've talked to Rbbi and she has had the same type of experiences as well. She just came up with different answers. I believe that to be because we have different life stories to draw upon.
It's what happens when the first reaction is to figure out what the author of a passage meant in relation to doctrines held rather than how any perceptionmeets the nature of the Guide Jesus promised. My perception of the difference w/ Rbbi1 is that her ideas on the subject are tainted by the desire to justify the religious tradition she has fallen in love with. I have nothing against that tradition except the idea that it was instituted BY God and applicable to everyone rather than just the community that developed it. I'll take ham and swiss on rye, please.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:21 AM

33,382 posts, read 26,686,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Not even close.

The Greek is Εἰρήνη ὑμῖν which the Latin Vulgate translates as 'pax vobis' - peace to you.

Assuming that 'coom' stands in for 'c um,' then 'Et c um spiritu tuo' translates as 'and with your spirit.'

No space between the 'c' and the 'u' in c um, but necessary because of the CD censor function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, that was the point. "et c um spiritu tu" is the liturgical response when the priest says "pax vobiscum."
Okay, I was unaware that there was an expected liturgical response to the greeting.
''Why has the response et *** spiritu tuo been translated as and with your spirit?''

''The retranslation was necessary because it is a more correct rendering of et *** spiritu tuo. Recent scholarship has recognized the need for a more precise translation capable of expressing the full meaning of the Latin text.''

And With Your Spirit

Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,082,319 times
Quote:
It's what happens when the first reaction is to figure out what the author of a passage meant in relation to doctrines held rather than how any perceptionmeets the nature of the Guide Jesus promised. My perception of the difference w/ Rbbi1 is that her ideas on the subject are tainted by the desire to justify the religious tradition she has fallen in love with. I have nothing against that tradition except the idea that it was instituted BY God and applicable to everyone rather than just the community that developed it. I'll take ham and swiss on rye, please.

No, actually, it's what happens when the Spirit you just received spoke two lines out of a book you never read before, while washing over you like water you can feel but can't see (anointing), and then continues that for about 10 days, increasing until you're walking through this world like the illusion of slowed down Spirit that it is. And then, in love and gratitude, you put your neck to the yoke willingly and start to plow up the field, removing stony places and weeds as you go, with an eye to planting a true harvest out of the "farmer's manual". It's like THAT, minus becoming one with the swine's flesh (a law against consuming the unclean death producing thing/spirit). Peace

Old 08-31-2017, 11:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,984,628 times
Must have been wonderful to experience Rbbi1, but did you ever really examine the bases and compare the results with what Jesus had to teach about the nature of the Spirit, or did you just incorporate older perceptions of the nature of God because they were a part of the religion you encountered?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:47 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,082,319 times
Quote:
Must have been wonderful to experience Rbbi1, but did you ever really examine the bases and compare the results with what Jesus had to teach about the nature of the Spirit, or did you just incorporate older perceptions of the nature of God because they were a part of the religion you encountered?

I let the Teacher do the teaching (and I made a formal request for that). That's usually best. In my case, He had a blank slate, as I've stated many times. That means, no biases' closing myself up with Him for the first 2 years, also negated any "religion" playing a part in the teaching. Peace

Old 08-31-2017, 11:55 AM

64,112 posts, read 40,415,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Discuss? Sure. But there are 3-4 people that routinely attack it. They lecture us on why it's wrong to believe it, wrong to read it, and wrong to follow it. They tell us that instead, we should follow mystical feelings because that's supposedly what said Bible tells them. That's called circular reasoning--to use the Bible to condemn Bible study.
Stop[ making knee jerk defense of the implausible belief that the Bible is 100% the word of God and pretending that we are attacking the Bible. We use the Bible because it CONTAINS information about the TRUE Word of God Jesus the Christ. We test the spirit of everything in the Bible against the Holy Spirit as described and demonstrated by Jesus. You do NOT!
Quote:
When we say to follow the "Guide" Jesus promised, we do not talk about "mystical feelings" as if there were no bases for judgment OF those feelings. Don't get us confused with Rbbi1. You will ALWAYS find us telling you that we TEST by checking against the nature OF that Spirit as taught by Jesus.
It would help if you acknowledged this point and discussed it rather than making baseless innuendos.
Amen.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:14 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,117,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop[ making knee jerk defense of the implausible belief that the Bible is 100% the word of God and pretending that we are attacking the Bible. We use the Bible because it CONTAINS information about the TRUE Word of God Jesus the Christ. We test the spirit of everything in the Bible against the Holy Spirit as described and demonstrated by Jesus. You do NOT!
Amen.
You attack the Bible......then in the next sentence you say you "use the Bible". How do you know which parts are inspired or not? The parts that just give you warm fuzzy feelings?

Old 08-31-2017, 01:33 PM

465 posts, read 237,995 times
Better be sure that Peace be with you, as in other words, the Spiritual Kingdom.

Have no keys to death makes its ways to settle what is to be settled, then Nun.

'But he's a primordial good we never heard of' but he's found in Joshua chapter 1.

'Well who is he?' is the answer that God chose the people of God were Egyptians.

'But they were pagans!' as self-assured as one can get; they were the Christians.

'But that was before there was a Savior of the world' but God never saved it then.

As the days of Noah were, they were eating and drinking to God was their cursing!

"Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance" ink.

God shall have his way with the world and how money will hold no parts Isaiah 19~

Corporate control of the world and all associated with it will find no place with sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When you think from a fundamentalist mindset you tend to look at everything
in a negative light. The division Jesus Christ causes is not one of discord, but one
that cuts us off from our old thoughts and ways and transforms us into his likeness.
No, that would be you, viewing the darkness of the sky in a negative light.

No place found will be the same once the LORD cleanses all not in the rites.

Genesis 1 whosoever makes themselves humble before the LORD is for right.

There will be no money in the Kingdom of God because it's what has divided.

Render unto Caesar that which is his and unto God that for which plundered.

There is no escape from natural moral law, that when death is what decided.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:43 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
Better be sure that Peace be with you, as in other words, the Spiritual Kingdom.

Have no keys to death makes its ways to settle what is to be settled, then Nun.

'But he's a primordial good we never heard of' but he's found in Joshua chapter 1.

'Well who is he?' is the answer that God chose the people of God were Egyptians.

'But they were pagans!' as self-assured as one can get; they were the Christians.

'But that was before there was a Savior of the world' but God never saved it then.

As the days of Noah were, they were eating and drinking to God was their cursing!

"Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance" ink.

God shall have his way with the world and how money will hold no parts Isaiah 19~

Corporate control of the world and all associated with it will find no place with sun.

No, that would be you, viewing the darkness of the sky in a negative light.

No place found will be the same once the LORD cleanses all not in the rites.

Genesis 1 whosoever makes themselves humble before the LORD is for right.

There will be no money in the Kingdom of God because it's what has divided.

Render unto Caesar that which is his and unto God that for which plundered.

There is no escape from natural moral law, that when death is what decided.
And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were near. When you are at peace with God it normally upsets the fundamentalists and brings out the divisive natureof them. You are a peace loving fluffy stuffy lovey liberal who needs to repent and believe what we do about the bible or you will end up in hell..... No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity