Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 05:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
So no evidence yet you make a baseless claims. I assume you think it wins you points?

Your religion use the Bible as a tool to bolster your argument for your faith. You see words like “spirit” and you paste in verses and exclaim that the Spirit leads your life. But then, some like minded person will post things that directly contradict the Bible.

Frankly, I find that disingenious. I am confident others do as well.
Correct. The poster in question someone who has a long history of making dishonest claims about other people, and as you know he is not the only one. There are many who are on a mission to smear Christians.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-15-2018 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Correct. The posted in question someone who has a long history of making dishonest claims about other people, and as you know he is not the only one. There are many who are on a mission to smear Christians.
Why is it that you ignore my posts but are all over a post that speaks negatively about me?. There is something very wrong about that

Old 03-15-2018, 07:04 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Bible Fundamentalists relentlessly speak about the bible and it's beliefs about the bible so much it drowns out the one it testifies of. It's an observation not accusation, don't be so touchy, when you say stupid things like the church of shenanigans. You are not saved by believing in the bible, salvation comes by the one it testifies of(And i do not mean being saved from hell).
Of course. What you say is easy to understand. Hope you have a good day. I am certainly going to try to.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Correct. The poster in question someone who has a long history of making dishonest claims about other people, and as you know he is not the only one. There are many who are on a mission to smear Christians.
More dishonesty from you. You know that you reap what you sow ?

Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You have a BELIEF that the bolded is true--and many others have a BELIEF that it is not. Now if we choose to provide EVIDENCE of either---you haven't any outside of quoting a couple of verses lifted out of context and without regard to the culture of that time.

The evidence those of us have who don't think it is so--is two-fold. Both INTERNALLY, within the Bible, and externally as we apply textual criticism in the form of literary analysis to Scripture. But I'll just give the internal evidence for now.

Internally, if God and Jesus are responsible for EVERYTHING in the Bible, they are responsible for some quite contrary statements. Jesus pointed out six of them in Matthew 5. We also have evidence from what Jesus LEFT OUT of His quotes of the OT (and Paul as well). For instance, when the rich young man asked what he must do to be saved. Jesus replied "Keep the Commandments."

"Which ones," asked the young man. And now Jesus' response is very, very revealing. He didn't cite all the ten commandments. He only cited those that had to do with our relationships with other people:

Which ones?” the man asked. Jesus answered, Matt. 19:18-19

He left out the first four commandments:

You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make any graven images.
You shall not use the Lord's Name in vain.
Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy.

And the rich young man responded that he had kept all the six Jesus mentioned---and yet Jesus didn't find the six He mentioned to be adequate. He didn't mention the "commandments" that He left OUT, instead He added another directed at this young man's idolatry in his life--money;

Matt. 19:21

The importance of this is that Jesus didn't see everything in the OT as THAT important. And He saw somethings not in the Bible as MORE important.

It's the difference between having a COVENANT relationship with Jesus and a CONTRACTURAL relationship with Him. People who love CONTRACTS rely on the letter of the CONTRACT--as many fundamentalists do with Scripture. But people who rely on COVENTAL relationships TRUST one another--they don't need a rulebook, or how to book, or a do this and don't do that book. They TRUST one another and instinctively know when trust is broken. The Israelites did it dozens if not scores of times.

But God always kept offering ways back for those with whom He had a COVENANTAL relationship.

CONTRACTS are between entities that really DO NOT trust one another. "Look God, it says right here in your "perfect" Word----." That is NOT a COVENANTAL relationship. And it is very easy to fall into that contractual relationship when the COVENANTAL relationship is weak or missing.

My relationship with God relies on neither Heaven nor Hell. Because I TRUST Him. He can do as He wishes because I TRUST HIM, not the book. The book was a place to start, but it is NEVER a place to stop.

As Mary A. Lathbury (1841-1913) wrote in her wonderful hymn Break Thou the Bread of Life:
"Beyond the sacred page, I see the Lord"

HYMN LINES: "Beyond the sacred page I see thee, Lord."

If the Bible is all you have, then you need to grow, my friend. I see Him every day in people around me, in the beauty of the Colorado mountains, and in the faces of those pour souls victimized by fundamentalist Christianity for how they were born.

At some point, I believe you will find yourself teaching this in your Sunday School, because I believe--meaning I have a mental conviction---that you are a good man and want the best for those you are leading.
This is all so very good. I especially like you you said here

Quote:

My relationship with God relies on neither Heaven nor Hell. Because I TRUST Him. He can do as He wishes because I TRUST HIM, not the book.
The book was a place to start, but it is NEVER a place to stop.
And thank you for this
Quote:
If the Bible is all you have, then you need to grow, my friend. I see Him every day in people around me, in the beauty of the Colorado mountains, and in the faces of those pour souls victimized by fundamentalist Christianity for how they were born.
One of the things I've learned, is that even though it can be terrifying sometimes, when we step out of our comfort zone, God is waiting there for us.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Bible Fundamentalists relentlessly speak about the bible and it's beliefs about the bible so much it drowns out the one it testifies of. It's an observation not accusation, don't be so touchy, when you say stupid things like the church of shenanigans. You are not saved by believing in the bible, salvation comes by the one it testifies of(And i do not mean being saved from hell).
Christ even said as much, in John 5:39

Quote:
"You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me"

Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
That is not evidence. And I said ‘like minded’. I will watch with a careful eye on your future postings. When I see one that agrees with what I said I will remind you of this discussion. Does that seem reasonable?
You've asked me some questions, now I have one for you. You have a very accusatory tone in most of your posts. My question is why are you here? Are you here to accuse and argue with those you disagree with, or are you here to encourage others in the faith and find fellowship with the Body of Christ?

Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
In its desire to be more community friendly my church has relaxed its standards
This is done under the guise of unconditional love and forgiveness
Self Reformation and rejection of sin have taken a back seat
Biblical challenges are met with the Papel infallibility defense
Do I feel good about this?
Not so much

Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I put my trust in the words of Jesus, period.
That is what I do. I don't worship the Apostle Paul, or any of the Old Testament profits.

So, some might say I am a "Red Letter Christian". I'd be fine with that.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:09 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
You've asked me some questions, now I have one for you. You have a very accusatory tone in most of your posts. My question is why are you here? Are you here to accuse and argue with those you disagree with or are you here to encourage others in the faith and find fellowship with the Body of Christ?
Well said, geekigurl. So many of the accusers on the forum seem to think they are special in God's eyes despite the fact that God is no respecter of persons. We are all equal in God's eyes and thanks to Jesus God is not counting our sins against us. If we would just love God and each other every day and repent when we don't we could NOT sin and would have nothing to be concerned about. Their "precepts and doctrines of men" have trapped them in a terrible mindset of fear of judgment and condemnation that is a huge stumbling block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity