Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 01:31 PM

6,888 posts, read 11,278,382 times

Advertisements

Very emotional for my husband as he was beaten by his dad until he was 16. Very good movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 01:34 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,850,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Changing words in the bible. Tsk. Isn't that against your religion? Verbatim, " in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them".

It's God that was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not counting their sin against them.
That is my understanding of the whole of scripture. *I will be watching for you to chastise pcamps next time he butchers scripture, though.

John 3:16-18

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

1 John 5

12 He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

Surely these scriptures give you pause, concerning Universalism.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
How often must it be explained to you that salvation has nada to do with escaping hell or God holding our sin against us. I'm pretty sure you've never provided a scripture verse that says it does.
John 3:36 “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”

Old 03-29-2018, 01:37 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sounds like Pleroo is stuck in a loop.
Sounds like you are not in Christ.... Being in Christ is being fully aware that as you behold Jesus Christ you are seeing not only the true nature and character of God, but that he is not holding missing the mark against you but also the missing of the mark of all the people too..... This is the reconcilation message that you oppose, which is impossible to oppose if you are "in Christ".

Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,438,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That is my understanding of the whole of scripture. *I will be watching for you to chastise pcamps next time he butchers scripture, though.
I don't think it's against his religion to put his understanding into his own words .

Quote:
John 3:16-18

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

1 John 5

12 He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

Surely these scriptures give you pause, concerning Universalism.
You keep bringing up Universalism, but I'm not a Universalist.

The passage you just quoted does not say that God is holding the sin of the world against them.

Jimmie, you keep trying to wriggle out of examining the fact that you are arguing against what Paul said. If you still believe the bible is inerrant, you really shouldn't be doing that, should you?

Old 03-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
John 3:36 “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”
Ah, yes ... "wrath". God's strong emotion which, of course, must be motivated by what God is: LOVE (which is patient and kind and keeps no record of wrongs). So, God's going to keep drawing, and drawing, and drawing people to the understanding that God is not holding their sin against them. It's what God does, because LOVE never fails.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM

64,024 posts, read 40,325,748 times
Quote:
Changing words in the bible. Tsk. Isn't that against your religion? Verbatim, " in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them".

It's God that was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not counting their sin against them.
Your insight does you great justice, Pleroo. It IS God (Holy Spirit) who was in Christ's HUMAN consciousness (Spirit) that achieved what none of us were capable of - connecting human consciousness with God's consciousness making it unnecessary for any of us to achieve such perfect resonance (Identity). Jesus is the "tuning fork" who brought human consciousness into resonance with God. As long as the confusion over "persons" reigns in Christianity this will not be understood. Spirit is consciousness and God is Spirit (Holy Spirit = agape love). We are Spirit and our task is to achieve some degree of harmonic resonance with God's consciousness as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's against his religion to put his understanding into his own words .

You keep bringing up Universalism, but I'm not a Universalist.

The passage you just quoted does not say that God is holding the sin of the world against them.

Jimmie, you keep trying to wriggle out of examining the fact that you are arguing against what Paul said. If you still believe the bible is inerrant, you really shouldn't be doing that, should you?
I’m not surprised you give pcamps a pass, while chastising me for the same.

Paul also said this:

Romans 10

9 If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I’m not surprised you give pcamps a pass, while chastising me for the same.
Aw jimmie, I was just tweaking you in the first place because camps asked you earlier to put something into your own words, and you refused. I'm totally fine with you putting things in your own words and encourage you to do so. But, I'm going to call you on it when the things you say you believe aren't in line with the bible that you believe is infallible.

Quote:
Paul also said this:

Romans 10

9 If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
Well, when you understand that salvation is (in part) about coming to the realization that God is not holding the sin of you and the rest of the world against anyone, you'll understand that telling people that God IS holding their sin against them is at cross purposes with their salvation -- and yours (because I'm fairly certain that it's religious people who are most in need of salvation. God knows I was.)

Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 PM

18 posts, read 9,238 times
Quote:
16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
What does "shall not" mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity