Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 AM

10,512 posts, read 7,105,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
What's up guys, it's me again.

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
By fully understanding the origins and the growth of the abolitionist movements that finally drove a stake through slavery's heart. You're making the argument that, because some slaveowners quoted the Bible to suit their purposes, that all Christians agreed with slavery. Since when have the body of Christianity thought as one on anything? You might as well say because some whackjob segment of Christianity believes that the world was created in 5400 BC, then all Christians believe that.

I would really encourage you to bone up on the subject to learn the role various Christian sects played in slavery's demise. First, there were the Quakers and Catholics, followed by people such as William Wilberforce who harnessed the power of Christianity to force its abolition in Parliament. Christians on both sides of the Atlantic in growing numbers recognized its evil and more and more forcefully argued for its abolition over time. It is really a remarkable story. Heck, one of the greatest hymns in Christendom, Amazing Grace, was written by a ship captain in the slave trade who became an ardent abolitionist.

To be sure, there were notable Enlightenment thinkers who supported for slavery's abolition, but Christianity provided the organization, the money, and the moral force.

Further, let's look at the moral force of Christianity in supporting the cause of social justice, from child labor laws and workplace reform to the Civil Rights Movement to the ending of Apartheid in South Africa. Christianity has often been on the forefront of those issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Abolitionism

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 05-07-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,747,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
By fully understanding the origins and the growth of the abolitionist movements that finally drove a stake through slavery's heart.

First with the Quakers and Catholics, followed by people such as William Wilberforce who harnessed the power of Christianity to force its abolition in Parliament. Christians on both sides of the Atlantic in growing numbers recognized its evil and more and more forcefully argued for its abolition over time.

To be sure, there were notable Enlightenment thinkers who supported for slavery's abolition, but Christianity provided the organization, the money, and the moral force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Abolitionism
and Egypt and animists and ancestors idols worshippers started slavery. that is why God grew up Israel right inside of Eqypt to walk out with everything they stole . from blood lines to the gold.. so his people walked out with it . and walked right back over and took back th eland that had been usurped and stolen ages before that by Canaanite( and cousins) clans ..

so yes the Idol worshippers as in Menes/ MN/ Mizraim / and his cousins like canaanites and such ( see biblical nations from Noah ) .. are who do and started slavery . and God/ Jehovah/ Jesus has been on a quest to undo that misery from the very start of it ..
niether it was it white folks who were selling Africans in africa, and making humans a valuable trade good.. .. it was black folks (Menes and cananites who menaced mankind ) since menegewi wars more than 3500 years ago.. .. and other canaanites like tribes of arabs / islamics who still do it even today.

God Has been trying ot right what MN/ MENES did for nearly 4000 years and he ain't done correcting it yet.. but it will be fixed before He rests..

but yet again menes and the head lopping ways are coming to a theater near you!
this is what were were to be praying to be saved from... and when the ressurrection of the dead will bring back all the oldies. all idol worshippers.. be they all forms of worshipping the works of their own hands..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 05-07-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 09:36 AM

and I know this won't be believed or received but a day is coming when all those red and blacks and whites who wet through those terrible times will be praising the Lord their ancestors were brought here.. and they are and all their ancestors will be resurrected here. with their saved grandchildren waiting for them..... yep.. and that will prove he be a huge blessing for all saved and all resurrected....
SO He can and will turn tragedies into even our greatest blessings for those prepared and waiting and praising him , knowing he is good and all good comes from his hands.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,316,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
and I know this won't be believed or received but a day is coming when all those red and blacks and whites who wet through those terrible times will be praising the Lord their ancestors were brought here.. and they are and all their ancestors will be resurrected here. with their saved grandchildren waiting for them..... yep.. and that will prove he be a huge blessing for all saved and all resurrected....
SO He can and will turn tragedies into even our greatest blessings for those prepared and waiting and praising him , knowing he is good and all good comes from his hands.
to be expected to "praise" a system that tortured, killed, raped, and pillaged a culture of its identity is beyond ignorant..it is down right humiliating those cultures all over again by saying WHITE IS RIGHT....

Would you truly believe god uses tragedies if it was your 9 year old granddaughter being abducted or your family member being taken to some other country to work as a slave for the benefit of the power elite?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,316,388 times
Quote:
and Egypt and animists and ancestors idols worshippers started slavery. that is why God grew up Israel right inside of Eqypt to walk out with everything they stole . from blood lines to the gold.. so his people walked out with it . and walked right back over and took back th eland that had been usurped and stolen ages before that by Canaanite( and cousins) clans ..

so yes the Idol worshippers as in Menes/ MN/ Mizraim / and his cousins like canaanites and such ( see biblical nations from Noah ) .. are who do and started slavery . and God/ Jehovah/ Jesus has been on a quest to undo that misery from the very start of it ..
niether it was it white folks who were selling Africans in africa, and making humans a valuable trade good.. .. it was black folks (Menes and cananites who menaced mankind ) since menegewi wars more than 3500 years ago.. .. and other canaanites like tribes of arabs / islamics who still do it even today.

God Has been trying ot right what MN/ MENES did for nearly 4000 years and he ain't done correcting it yet.. but it will be fixed before He rests..

but yet again menes and the head lopping ways are coming to a theater near you!
this is what were were to be praying to be saved from... and when the ressurrection of the dead will bring back all the oldies. all idol worshippers.. be they all forms of worshipping the works of their own hands..
Egypt may have started slavery, ISRAEL perfected slavery.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 AM

some will be singing out with great joy when that day comes while others are crying in their beer.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Jhn 6:36

But you haven’t believed in me even though you have seen me.

Jhn 6:37

However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them.

Jhn 6:38

For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will.

Jhn 6:39

And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day.

but his will come to him.. and he will not lose even one of those !!

Old 05-07-2018, 12:23 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,938,112 times
Quote:
Jhn 6:36

But you haven’t believed in me even though you have seen me.

Jhn 6:37

However, those the Father has given me will come to me, and I will never reject them.

Jhn 6:38

For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will.

Jhn 6:39

And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day.

but his will come to him.. and he will not lose even one of those !!

Is that speaking of the little flock? the great multitude? or both?
Because Jesus is clear at Matt 7:21-23-- The big problem is--99% of all religions claiming to be Christian aren't. One is. They might be told they belong to Jesus but they do not. They do not listen to Jesus.

Matthew 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( YHWH(Jehovah)John 4:22-24) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you. ( sustenance, covering, spirituality)

Old 05-07-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
is that speaking of the little flock? The great multitude? Or both?
Because jesus is clear at matt 7:21-23-- the big problem is--99% of all religions claiming to be christian aren't. One is. They might be told they belong to jesus but they do not. They do not listen to jesus.

Matthew 6:33-- therefore, keep on seeking-first- the kingdom and his( yhwh(jehovah)john 4:22-24) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you. ( sustenance, covering, spirituality)
he won't lose one OF THOSE whom the Father gave him or of those who come to him>>> these are connected thought in this scripture . Not to a certain pew.. or to a certain kind of building.. he clearly has 7 churches each with their own sins and strengths.. you are but one of them.. not all of them.. AElysiah/ Philidelphia / red pain clan is the mother of it and she is all of them and will over come all those sins of her daughters.. But all who find their way to his heart and find their place in his body, a living temple of people who love him and his Father!! these clans and tribes and nations and peoples who have become his people / his nations , his clans , his churches , his living and thriving temple..... will cry for joy when he is done.. on that resurrection and restoration of the
nations...day/morning when he restores the nations.. and everyone else will mourn .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 05-07-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,801 times
Default Listen to Thomas Sowell talking about slavery---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWrf...ature=youtu.be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity