Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:46 PM

322 posts, read 585,042 times

Advertisements

What's up guys, it's me again.

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:56 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
It does not bother those of us who do not take the Bible to be more than what it is: A collection of 66 letters and books written at different times and over thousands of years in a certain part of the world that attempts to tell of journeys of humanity's search for God.

You can learn much from those writings, but they must be read with reason and mindful of the context and the culture in which they were written.

Slavery is not OK just because slavery was a part of that ancient culture that produced the authors of the writings that we now call The Bible. Slavery is wrong because it goes against the very rock-bottom foundation of what Christ taught: Love one another.

There is a flaw in your thread title. Faith did not justify slavery, people did. Yes, the Bible was used to justify slavery; however, it's good to remember that the Bible was also used to justify and promote abolition. The Bible is not in and of itself the answer to everything, but it can be a prism to look through into the minds of others who sought God, and for a Christian, ultimately make choices based on that rock-bottom foundation of Christ's.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
^^^^

What she said.

The bible is just a collection of stories. Take what is good, discard the rest.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:15 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post

I haven’t heard of any pro slavery passages of the Bible. People twist and pervert the Scriptures to suit their own wicked desires. It happens often and you can actually witness it on this site

Old 04-22-2018, 04:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I haven’t heard of any pro slavery passages of the Bible. People twist and pervert the Scriptures to suit their own wicked desires. It happens often and you can actually witness it on this site
Both OT and NT at least tolerate slavery as an institution. The OT passages at least offer some perceptions concerning the treatment of slaves that could be considered relatively humane for their time and place, while the NT passage, especially the letter to Philemon gave ideas and conditions that were totally ignored by those who justified slavery in the "New World." What OP needs to realize is that those who justified slavery a an institution by biblical passages totally ignored especially what was said in the NT not only about treating slaves, but about treating people in general. It wad never a matter of faith, but of how to bypass the requirements of faith while retaining the appearance, just as so many do today in other matters. The kind of slavery based essentially on race was really not seen in the world before and many of the practices were among the most heinous ever seen, as well as the attitudes about the subjugated people that were necessary to "justify" such practices which were by no means limited to the slaveholders themselves that are a source of amazement to anyone who really looks at the message of Christ.

To the OP: don't confuse following institutional religion with all its vagaries with following Christ.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Both OT and NT at least tolerate slavery as an institution. The OT passages at least offer some perceptions concerning the treatment of slaves that could be considered relatively humane for their time and place, while the NT passage, especially the letter to Philemon gave ideas and conditions that were totally ignored by those who justified slavery in the "New World." What OP needs to realize is that those who justified slavery a an institution by biblical passages totally ignored especially what was said in the NT not only about treating slaves, but about treating people in general. It wad never a matter of faith, but of how to bypass the requirements of faith while retaining the appearance, just as so many do today in other matters. The kind of slavery based essentially on race was really not seen in the world before and many of the practices were among the most heinous ever seen, as well as the attitudes about the subjugated people that were necessary to "justify" such practices which were by no means limited to the slaveholders themselves that are a source of amazement to anyone who really looks at the message of Christ.

To the OP: don't confuse following institutional religion with all its vagaries with following Christ.
Show me passages that the Scriptures tolerate slavery.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:49 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Don’t base your faith on the actions of others. Read your Bible, pray and serve God. You’ll be fine.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Show me passages that the Scriptures tolerate slavery.
When passages tell how to treat slaves that is de facto toleration of that institution, are you ignorant that OT passages discuss the treatment of slaves. Show me anything in the NT including anything in the letter to Philemon on how to receive back his runaway slave that indicates that he is to free that slave.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:

Well said.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
When passages tell how to treat slaves that is de facto toleration of that institution, are you ignorant that OT passages discuss the treatment of slaves. Show me anything in the NT including anything in the letter to Philemon on how to receive back his runaway slave that indicates that he is to free that slave.
I requested a verse to back up your claim and response was gibberish. Show me the verse that YOU think that Scripture tolerates slavery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity