Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
You doubt because you're smart and because you're a good person. You know it's wrong. You know, deep down, you're being lied to. Listen to your gut.
When Sh’mu’el grew old, he appointed his sons as judges over Isra’el. 2 His firstborn was named Yo’el, while his second son was named Aviyah; they were judges in Be’er-Sheva. 3 However, his sons did not follow his way of life; they turned off it to pursue riches, so that they would take bribes to distort justice. 4 All the leaders of Isra’el gathered themselves together, approached Sh’mu’el in Ramah 5 and said to him, “Look, you have grown old, and your sons are not following your ways.

Now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.”
6 Sh’mu’el was not pleased to hear them say,
“Give us a king to judge us”; so he prayed to Adonai. 7 Adonai said to Sh’mu’el,

“Listen to the people, to everything they say to you; for it is not you they are rejecting; they are rejecting me; they don’t want me to be king over them. 8 They are doing to you exactly what they have been doing to me, from the day I brought them out of Egypt until today, by abandoning me and serving other gods. 9 So do what they say, but give them a sober warning, telling them what kinds of rulings their king will make.”

10 Sh’mu’el reported everything Adonai had said to the people asking him for a king. 11 He said,
“Here is the kind of rulings your king will make: he will draft your sons and assign them to take care of his chariots, be his horsemen and be bodyguards running ahead of his chariots. 12 He will appoint them to serve him as officers in charge of a thousand or of fifty, plowing his fields, gathering his harvest, and making his weapons and the equipment for his chariots. 13 He will take your daughters and have them be perfume-makers, cooks and bakers. 14 He will expropriate your fields, vineyards and olive groves — the very best of them! — and hand them over to his servants. 15 He will take the ten-percent tax of your crops and vineyards and give it to his officers and servants. 16 He will take your male and female servants, your best young men and your donkeys, and make them work for him. 17 He will take the ten-percent tax of your flocks, and you will become his servants. 18 When that happens, you will cry out on account of your king, whom you yourselves chose.

But when that happens, Adonai will not answer you!”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 02:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
What's up guys, it's me again.

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
There is no scriptural basis for it, just like many of the beliefs christianity adheres too.

This is what you might here fundamentalist bible believers of today say,, 'If we had lived in the days of those christians, we would not have taken part in taking them in chains from their own lands

This is what the fundamentalists of Jesus' day said , 'If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.

See the similarity?.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
People whio support Killing babies are usually the same people who rally against the Bible. The reference is relevant.

That passage does not show that the bible tolerates slavery. Reference and tolerance is not the same. You selected a specific verse and purposely took it out of context. The Scriptures says love your neighbor. You most certainly cannot love your neighbor if you enslave them.

Leviticus 19:18

18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord.

You failed miserably on your attempt to smear the Bible.
But the Bible supports killing babies (not in general of course, but "in context" same with its support of "in context" perpetual and physically abusive slavery). No? God even kills a baby to punish its parent (I think it was King David's child). A Jewish King (whom God was on their side) killed his pregnant baby mama (along with the fetus). Was it King Judah?

And God commands and goes through his personal killing of first-born children.

And miscarriages (of God?) kill tons of fetuses often to this day. Where does God send them? Heaven? Then what is the most merciful thing to do to fetuses? So then what does God do to them? ...False Religions through and through when some critically good thought is given them.

The truly "help the poor" thing to do is to tax the rich and the religions (and atheist clubs) to save the poor people's fetuses (and also the rich people's fetuses). Also, conservatives (the ones not hypocrites) should all be celibate and adopt and raise children that way. That could inspire a lot of mothers not to abort their fetuses due to mitigating various fears whether selfish or not.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-23-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 04-23-2018, 04:37 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
People whio support Killing babies are usually the same people who rally against the Bible. The reference is relevant.

That passage does not show that the bible tolerates slavery. Reference and tolerance is not the same. You selected a specific verse and purposely took it out of context. The Scriptures says love your neighbor. You most certainly cannot love your neighbor if you enslave them.

Leviticus 19:18

18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord.

You failed miserably on your attempt to smear the Bible.
“Your People”, IOW, Jews...

Old 04-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
“Your People”, IOW, Jews...
start with hebrews, it will help your position better.

if you are stuggling with vision i can help explain the covenant given to Avraham so that you will have a better grasp of the promised Seed and the Fruition of the land.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
When Sh’mu’el grew old, he appointed his sons as judges over Isra’el. 2 His firstborn was named Yo’el, while his second son was named Aviyah; they were judges in Be’er-Sheva. 3 However, his sons did not follow his way of life; they turned off it to pursue riches, so that they would take bribes to distort justice. 4 All the leaders of Isra’el gathered themselves together, approached Sh’mu’el in Ramah 5 and said to him, “Look, you have grown old, and your sons are not following your ways.

Now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.”
6 Sh’mu’el was not pleased to hear them say,
“Give us a king to judge us”; so he prayed to Adonai. 7 Adonai said to Sh’mu’el,

“Listen to the people, to everything they say to you; for it is not you they are rejecting; they are rejecting me; they don’t want me to be king over them. 8 They are doing to you exactly what they have been doing to me, from the day I brought them out of Egypt until today, by abandoning me and serving other gods. 9 So do what they say, but give them a sober warning, telling them what kinds of rulings their king will make.”

10 Sh’mu’el reported everything Adonai had said to the people asking him for a king. 11 He said,
“Here is the kind of rulings your king will make: he will draft your sons and assign them to take care of his chariots, be his horsemen and be bodyguards running ahead of his chariots. 12 He will appoint them to serve him as officers in charge of a thousand or of fifty, plowing his fields, gathering his harvest, and making his weapons and the equipment for his chariots. 13 He will take your daughters and have them be perfume-makers, cooks and bakers. 14 He will expropriate your fields, vineyards and olive groves — the very best of them! — and hand them over to his servants. 15 He will take the ten-percent tax of your crops and vineyards and give it to his officers and servants. 16 He will take your male and female servants, your best young men and your donkeys, and make them work for him. 17 He will take the ten-percent tax of your flocks, and you will become his servants. 18 When that happens, you will cry out on account of your king, whom you yourselves chose.

But when that happens, Adonai will not answer you!”
“How blessed you are when people insult you and persecute you and tell all kinds of vicious lies about you because you follow me! 12 Rejoice, be glad, because your reward in heaven is great — they persecuted the prophets before you in the same way.

13 “You are salt for the Land. But if salt becomes tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except being thrown out for people to trample on.

14 “You are light for the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Likewise, when people light a lamp, they don’t cover it with a bowl but put it on a lampstand, so that it shines for everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before people, so that they may see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.

Context of history is always best to acknowledge before a discussion.

Ezra(i suggest reading the whole letter.
“I, Artach’shashta the king, herewith order all the treasurers in the territory beyond the [Euphrates] River to do carefully anything ‘Ezra the cohen, scribe of the law of the God of heaven, requires of you, 22 up to three-and-a-third tons of silver, 500 bushels of wheat, 500 gallons of wine, 500 gallons of olive oil and unlimited amounts of salt. 23 Whatever is ordered by the God of heaven is to be performed exactly for the house of the God of heaven; for why should wrath come against the realm of the king and his sons? 24 Moreover, we herewith proclaim to you that it will be illegal to impose tribute, taxes or tolls on any of the cohanim, L’vi’im, singers, gatekeepers, servants or laborers in this house of God.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
But the Bible supports killing babies (not in general of course, but "in context" same with its support of "in context" perpetual and physically abusive slavery). No? God even kills a baby to punish its parent (I think it was King David's child). A Jewish King (whom God was on their side) killed his pregnant baby mama (along with the fetus). Was it King Judah?

And God commands and goes through his personal killing of first-born children.

And miscarriages (of God?) kill tons of fetuses often to this day. Where does God send them? Heaven? Then what is the most merciful thing to do to fetuses? So then what does God do to them? ...False Religions through and through when some critically good thought is given them.

The truly "help the poor" thing to do is to tax the rich and the religions (and atheist clubs) to save the poor people's fetuses (and also the rich people's fetuses). Also, conservatives (the ones not hypocrites) should all be celibate and adopt and raise children that way. That could inspire a lot of mothers not to abort their fetuses due to mitigating various fears whether selfish or not.
God created everything including the babies in your example. Everything He does is for the good. He is Holy. He is a God of love. He is righteous. He is all powerful. And He is all knowing. He even knows your true inent on why you ask such questions such as these.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
God created everything including the babies in your example. Everything He does is for the good. He is Holy. He is a God of love. He is righteous. He is all powerful. And He is all knowing. He even knows your true inent on why you ask such questions such as these.
Spoken like a good robot.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
How am I supposed to follow a faith that justified the enslavement of my ancestors?

Why would you want to?

Old 04-24-2018, 04:27 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
[i]

God WILL avenge the slave. Make no mistake about that. The Bible says so. History proves it.
Why didn’t omnigod tell us to not own people in its top ten rules?

Why didn’t it say not to own people in the other 613 godly rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity