Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,081,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
God created everything including the babies in your example. Everything He does is for the good. He is Holy. He is a God of love. He is righteous. He is all powerful. And He is all-knowing. He even knows your true inent on why you ask such questions such as these.
How can a jealous god create the babies if people have free will and the process is fully known and there is no gap in there for vaguery? Think a bit better, I plead.

"Everything he does is for the good" is what the slavers said when they excused themselves supposedly through his favorite Bibliolatry.

Love, Might Makes Right, Power, Knowledge, "true intent of the abolitionists" this are all the things the slavers clothed themselves in also.

Scared, envious, and jealous wolf, the shepherds ultimately eat the sheep (after long terms of petting and fleecing)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 05:57 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,615,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
There isn't any confusion.
Did god mean slaves or servents?

Different bible say different things and you don’t want to see the confusion?

Old 04-24-2018, 06:56 AM

1,183 posts, read 539,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
How can a jealous god create the babies if people have free will and the process is fully known and there is no gap in there for vaguery? Think a bit better, I plead.

"Everything he does is for the good" is what the slavers said when they excused themselves supposedly through his favorite Bibliolatry.

Love, Might Makes Right, Power, Knowledge, "true intent of the abolitionists" this are all the things the slavers clothed themselves in also.

Scared, envious, and jealous wolf, the shepherds ultimately eat the sheep (after long terms of petting and fleecing)!
Arguing with an atheist with an axe to grind with God is a foolish endeavor. If you want to whine and cry because you think your life stinks you are Asking the wrong guy.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
What's up guys, it's me again.

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
First of all, Christianity never taught the selling of black (or white) men and women. That was bad men acting like bad men. It would be a shame to allow the memory of them keep you from God.

Second....do you embrace your African heritage? I hope so. We all should find pride in where we come from and want to know about it. But considering your ancestors were probably sold into slavery by other Africans, does that indict all African-Americans? Or just the bad white men that transported and sold them in America?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,823,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Lol

Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

1 Peter 2:18-25 New International Version (NIV)
18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Colossians 3:22, NIV: "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord."
yes believers(disciples are a bond servant)=slave to Christ.
also known as a free will offering.
70 and 2 was it?
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Hol...t/shavuot.html
“Don’t judge,
and you won’t be judged.
Don’t condemn,
and you won’t be condemned.

“Forgive,
and you will be forgiven.
38 Give,
and you will receive gifts —

the full measure, compacted, shaken together and overflowing, will be put right in your lap. For the measure with which you measure out will be used to measure back to you!”

39 He also told them a parable: “Can one blind man lead another blind man? Won’t they both fall into a pit? 40 A talmid is not above his rabbi; but each one, when he is fully trained, will be like his rabbi. 41 So why do you see the splinter in your brother’s eye, but not notice the log in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the splinter from your eye,’ when you yourself don’t see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite! First take the log out of your own eye; then you will see clearly, so that you can remove the splinter from your brother’s eye!

43 “For no good tree produces bad fruit, nor does a bad tree produce good fruit. 44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit — figs aren’t picked from thorn bushes, nor grapes from a briar patch. 45 The good person produces good things from the store of good in his heart, while the evil person produces evil things from the store of evil in his heart. For his mouth speaks what overflows from his heart.

“You are to count seven weeks; you are to begin counting seven weeks from the time you first put your sickle to the standing grain. 10 You are to observe the festival of Shavu‘ot [weeks] for Adonai your God with a voluntary offering, which you are to give in accordance with the degree to which Adonai your God has prospered you. 11 You are to rejoice in the presence of Adonai your God — you, your sons and daughters, your male and female slaves, the L’vi’im living in your towns, and the foreigners, orphans and widows living among you — in the place where Adonai your God will choose to have his name live. 12 Remember that you were a slave in Egypt; then you will keep and obey these laws.

For the leader. With stringed instruments. A maskil of David, 2 when the Zifim came and told Sha’ul, “David is hiding with us”:

3 (1) God, deliver me by your name;
in your power, vindicate me.
4 (2) God, hear my prayer;
listen to the words from my mouth.
5 (3) For foreigners are rising against me,
violent men are seeking my life;
they give no thought to God. (Selah)

6 (4) But God is helping me;
Adonai is my support.
7 (5) May he repay the evil
to those who are lying in wait for me.
In your faithfulness, destroy them!
8 (6) Then I will generously sacrifice to you;
I will praise your name, Adonai,
because it is good,
9 (7) because he rescued me from all trouble,
and my eyes look with triumph at my enemies.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,952,217 times
Quote:
It says slave, bondman, or servant. the context of the verse indicates servant.
The context of the verse is the society they lived in which included chattel bondage for many of the people who were Christians at the time.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
First of all, Christianity never taught the selling of black (or white) men and women. That was bad men acting like bad men. It would be a shame to allow the memory of them keep you from God.

Second....do you embrace your African heritage? I hope so. We all should find pride in where we come from and want to know about it. But considering your ancestors were probably sold into slavery by other Africans, does that indict all African-Americans? Or just the bad white men that transported and sold them in America?
His question is about what's in the Bible as it relates to his faith and slavery, not all white people. The question lies not what in the Bible actually says, but how it was used to justify slavery in the Americas.

Every time the subject of slavery is raised on P&OC, somebody leaps up shrieking that Africans sold other Africans to the white man, but is not P&OC, and that's not relevant to this conversation, and frankly, that tactic is old and tiresome.

Unfortunately, the OP is one of those who dropped in, tossed out what appeared to be an interesting subject for discussion and then disappeared. Happens on these types of forums. Oh well.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,096,820 times
Quote:
It says slave, bondman, or servant. the context of the verse indicates servant.
No, the primary meaning is slave...

Old 04-24-2018, 08:58 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,096,820 times
Quote:
Arguing with an atheist with an axe to grind with God is a foolish endeavor. If you want to whine and cry because you think your life stinks you are Asking the wrong guy.
Wimping out?...

Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,081,460 times
Quote:
I have an axe to grind with false beliefs everywhere, whether theist or nontheist. But indeed, knowing the truth is foolishness if you prioritize the good feelings one can get from lies.

Life is amazing! Great wonders everywhere! Regardless if there is a god hiding under some rock or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity