Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:12 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
What's up guys, it's me again.

I personally love Christ. I'm a young adult navigating the world and trying to do right in the face of evil. But this issue is weighing heavy on my conscience. I am the descendant of people taken from West/Central Africa in chains and forced to work the soil of the land until they died. The brutes that took my people & owned them as property justified their actions with Biblical scripture. This scripture still exists and there are heated theological discussions to this day about its translation & the negative connotations associated with it.

I just need an answer, I need SOMEONE to give me an encouraging word or try to debunk the pro-slavery passages in the Bible. I feel extremely conflicted and although I do follow the Biblical laws to the best of my abilities, I can't help but feel this nagging doubt in the back of my mind.
You doubt because you're smart and because you're a good person. You know it's wrong. You know, deep down, you're being lied to. Listen to your gut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:17 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Only the unbeliever will never forgive , and Jesus said If people do not forgive than their sins will never be forgiven by God , so you forgive the history of brutal people which God probably never knew
How does God NOT know?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:32 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,139,669 times
From my research, 'slaves' in the Bible were not equivalent to what we think of as slaves these days. Slaves in Biblical times were hired workers. They worked under people, essentially under contract. Looking at everyone else in the Bible, you can see the contrast. Everyone else either served in a position of authority (government, military, clergy), or they worked for themselves (carpenter, tax collector, blacksmith, farmer, etc.) 'Slaves' in biblical times signified employees and hired work.

So, since the Bible doesn't promote slavery as we think of it, the Bible can't be used to promote that (i.e. people in bondage, kept as property all their life, etc.) It doesn't matter what people are saying to justify their ways. Carrying out the modern connotation of 'slavery' is displaying typical loathsome human actions, like theft, fraud, hatred, physical abuse, etc. It has nothing to do with the Bible.

Those that promoted slavery in southern America and Africa (and other regions) have no one and nothing to blame except themselves. There's no way to pin this on others or a book.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-23-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Moses wrote Leviticus and Exodus. He is not suffering from schizophrenia.

God says one man should marry one woman yet Solomon married several times. Did God change His mind? Of course not. How many times must the Lord repeat Himself? His plan of salvation will not get derailed by man’s wicked actions.

Love God (1st 4 Commandments) and love your fellow man (the last 6 Commandments). Don’T let the actions of men swaying your thinking of the Holy Scripture
Assuming that Moses wrote both, no, he is not suffering from schizophrenia or even split personality, which is more to the point, he is suffering from the common failure to recognize and apply all the applications of one line of thought to common perceptions of the time and place....like you.

Your "one man/one woman" comparison does not apply when God is supposed to be the author of BOTH instructions... .FAIL again.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
From my research, 'slaves' in the Bible were not equivalent to what we think of as slaves these days. Slaves in Biblical times were hired workers. .....
Your "research" is incomplete due to your desire to deny what is manifest IN the Bible: that "indenture" and chattel slavery were BOTH practiced and regulated, as well as the manifest fact that the cited scripture is ABOUT chattel bondage and NOT "indenture."

Old 04-23-2018, 10:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
From my research, 'slaves' in the Bible were not equivalent to what we think of as slaves these days. Slaves in Biblical times were hired workers. They worked under people, essentially under contract. Looking at everyone else in the Bible, you can see the contrast. Everyone else either served in a position of authority (government, military, clergy), or they worked for themselves (carpenter, tax collector, blacksmith, farmer, etc.) 'Slaves' in biblical times signified employees and hired work.

So, since the Bible doesn't promote slavery as we think of it, the Bible can't be used to promote that (i.e. people in bondage, kept as property all their life, etc.) It doesn't matter what people are saying to justify their ways. Carrying out the modern connotation of 'slavery' is displaying typical loathsome human actions, like theft, fraud, hatred, physical abuse, etc. It has nothing to do with the Bible.

Those that promoted slavery in southern America and Africa (and other regions) have no one and nothing to blame except themselves. There's no way to pin this on others or a book.
You have read the story of Moses leading the slaves out of Egypt and all that went on in relation to that...right? Legions of soldiers were sent after them!

Old 04-23-2018, 01:02 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,910 times
When I was a sinner, I was satan's slave and didn't even know. Then one day Jesus bought me with a price and he's now my Master. Sin no longer has dominion over me.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
When I was a sinner, I was satan's slave and didn't even know. Then one day Jesus bought me with a price and he's now my Master. Sin no longer has dominion over me.
Kewl.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:07 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You have read the story of Moses leading the slaves out of Egypt and all that went on in relation to that...right? Legions of soldiers were sent after them!
Okay, yeah, forgot about that part of the Bible. Those were slaves in the same sense as now. Thanks for pointing that out! That shouldn't be overlooked. It's instructive that God didn't approve of, and didn't support, that (true) slavery. We can see his stand against people in bondage.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:09 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Simplicity for the simple then: Exodus 20 "20"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. 21"If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property.…"
strike a slave or slave master and the out come is the same
interesting instruction isnt it. This depth of language is most likely beyond the palate of a culture raised and taught to ignore the Truth and have been offered cups of devils.

"You shall furnish him liberally from your flock and from your threshing floor and from your wine vat; you shall give to him as the LORD your God has blessed you.

15"You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God redeemed you; therefore I command you this today. 16"It shall come about if he says to you, 'I will not go out from you,' because he loves you and your household, since he fares well with you;…

By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. 25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. 27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. 28 By faith he kept the Passover and the application of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.

29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity