Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,714,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The problem with Christianity is that it thinks that God has an opponent, whereas God has given mankind an opponent.

God created all, as seeds, to develop and grow and when the trees and thorns and briers, the weeds and tares reach maturity it is then time to separate them. A lot of stuff in the bible is not about individual salvation, it is about the kingdom of God on earth which has been developing over time, Christianity thinks they are the pinnacle of creation, as a nation and as individuals, but they are not, there is a lot of weeds in Christianity which will be burnt.
God only has an opponent in the sense that EVERYTHING that is, must have an opponent to be made manifest. You can't have good without bad to manifest goodness, Christ without anti-Christ to manifest (demonstrate) those things. This is not to say that I think all evil that happens is ordained or necessary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Evil did NOT have to be created by God for this to be happen.
I agree. I don't think evil is part of Creation. I think it is simply that which opposes all that is good.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Good cannot create evil. Otherwise, it would not be good.
God brings good out of evil things. He uses all things including our evil ways to bring about ultimate good. Once again, I am not stating that anyone should consider doing evil that good may come, rather than when evil does come, trust that God will bring good from it.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What if evil is not just the horrible images that come to mind when thought upon, but everything outside of that which is harmonious with God(Good)?.
You mean like scorpions and tarantulas? They don't seem good to me and I don't want them in heaven. They make good snake food, though. And I don't think snakes will be redeemed.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Create is a word of division or separation. so that verse should read

"I form light and cut down darkness; I make peace and cut down evil. I, the Lord, do all these things.
I wish more people never associated evil thoughts, acts, and deeds with God. It's hard for a person to grow in grace if he thinks God is kind of devilish.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 PM

252 posts, read 149,328 times
I completely relate to this. If my earthly father acted as my heavenly father, i would count him as the reason i am here and thats about. I would have wished he had stayed instead of playing the card of "i will return one day son."

Taking it further, why would my "father" threaten eternal hellfire if i failed to understand which "faith" to follow or which thing i should or shouldnt, repent for. My earthly dad explained things clearly and was THERE for me. He was not wreckless towards my future, leaving room for potentially fatal error, nor did he want to leave me susceptible to deceit.

I do not wish to offend anyone. Its just that nothing adds up to me. I believe there is some entity that created us, i just do not entirely buy into the stories. The explanation that says the existance of "evil" being the result of two people's actions thousands of years ago seems a bit silly to be honest. Honestly, i cannot explain evil either. I can only say the obvious: evil is everywhere and it should not be.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Man playing God in the concept he has of him

And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? ..... Interesting ....like Elias did....Anything that comes down from the heavens must be God or God's approval was the mindset back them and sadly the same today.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:52 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,405,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I wish more people never associated evil thoughts, acts, and deeds with God. It's hard for a person to grow in grace if he thinks God is kind of devilish.
You know I have spoken against the concept of God doing evil for years now and one thing that always sticks out to me is the irony involved.

To the universalist the greatest evil would be a God who would eternal torment people, yet many of the universalist are the one who actually teach God does evil and many of those who teach eternal torment speak out against a God who can do evil.

Something very wrong with that picture.

God is Love.

Love thinketh NO EVIL

Love worketh NO EVIL

Thus people need to get their heads around the concept that God does not think or work evil.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
You know I have spoken against the concept of God doing evil for years now and one thing that always sticks out to me is the irony involved.

To the universalist the greatest evil would be a God who would eternal torment people, yet many of the universalist are the one who actually teach God does evil and many of those who teach eternal torment speak out against a God who can do evil.

Something very wrong with that picture.

God is Love.

Love thinketh NO EVIL

Love worketh NO EVIL

Thus people need to get their heads around the concept that God does not think or work evil.
Do you believe some go to Hell, at least temporarily?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Do you believe some go to Hell at least temporarily?
Do you believe your parents sent you to hell, when they corrected you?

Hell would be living this life, over and over again.
While finding out that nothing has changed.

So, why don't you grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity