Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:42 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This was one of the parables Jesus gave in response to the Pharisees questioning Him about hanging out with the people deemed sinners by the righteous Pharisees. The other 2 parables were the lost sheep and the prodigal son. I'd be interested to see if anyone knows the original word that has been translated into sinner in these verses because none of those parables seem to be driving home the point that the coin, the sheep, or the son was being judged for having gone astray.
I'm pretty sure the word has the connotation of "missing the mark". Like an arrow that didn't hit the target, and needs to be retrieved from the bushes. Or a golf ball that went into the rough or the lake. I think the Pharisees had no clue that they, themselves, were off in the weeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 02:09 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm pretty sure the word has the connotation of "missing the mark". Like an arrow that didn't hit the target, and needs to be retrieved from the bushes. Or a golf ball that went into the rough or the lake. I think the Pharisees had no clue that they, themselves, were off in the weeds.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:12 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think you missed the point. For a clue, look at the other two parables Jesus told in Luke 15. He told the story of the shepherd looking for the lost sheep, leaving behind the 99 sheep in order to find the one, and how there was rejoicing when it was found.

There was the Prodigal Son. The Prodigal Son only decides to return home when he was in desperate straits after throwing away his birthright on dissolute living. Even as he decides to come home, he practices his alibi without showing any true repentance for his actions.

The outcome of all three? The coin is found, to much rejoicing. The sheep is found, to much rejoicing. The Prodigal Son doesn't even have a chance to ask for his father's forgiveness. Instead, the father runs out to greet the son, showering him with love and attention.

A lost coin has no thought. It is simply lost. A sheep has no agency or moral awareness. It is simply lost. While the Prodigal Son is a person with thought, he has no higher feeling beyond his own safety and comfort.

Instead, in all three situations, the lost are actively sought out and found. The widow sweeping her home. The shepherd searching the wilderness. The father excitedly running up the path to greet his long-lost son.

The theme implied in all three is pretty clear. God is always seeking us. God values us deeply and wants nothing more than to love us, even when we aren't wholehearted in our pursuit of Him.

That's how I see it too. Love the line about the son practicing his alibi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Mistakes will be made.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:29 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
ole paul the pharisee
Everyone who lives on milk is still an infant, inexperienced in the message of righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained their sensibilities to distinguish good from evil.
I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:02 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.
yes,
and all this teaching given in the letters of sh,aul are fairly forward.
The letter titled "romans" is a clue from what i can tell.

the entire letter if read from an outsider might look as though sh,aul maintained a certain level of discretion in the letter. the tone is somewhat different than the rest of the letters sh,aul wrote.

something seems a bit off i think.

From: Sha’ul, a slave of the Messiah Yeshua, an emissary because I was called and set apart for the Good News of God.

2 God promised this Good News in advance through his prophets in the Tanakh. 3 It concerns his Son — he is descended from David physically; 4 he was powerfully demonstrated to be Son of God spiritually, set apart by his having been resurrected from the dead; he is Yeshua the Messiah, our Lord. 5 Through him we received grace and were given the work of being an emissary on his behalf promoting trust-grounded obedience among all the Gentiles, 6 including you, who have been called by Yeshua the Messiah.

7 To: All those in Rome whom God loves, who have been called, who have been set apart for him:

Grace to you and shalom from God our Father and the Lord Yeshua the Messiah.

8 First, I thank my God through Yeshua the Messiah for all of you, because the report of your trust is spreading throughout the whole world. 9 For God, whom I serve in my spirit by spreading the Good News about his Son, is my witness that I regularly remember you 10 in my prayers; and I always pray that somehow, now or in the future, I might, by God’s will, succeed in coming to visit you. 11 For I long to see you, so that I might share with you some spiritual gift that can make you stronger — 12 or, to put it another way, so that by my being with you, we might, through the faith we share, encourage one another. 13 Brothers, I want you to know that although I have been prevented from visiting you until now, I have often planned to do so, in order that I might have some fruit among you, just as I have among the other Gentiles. 14 I owe a debt to both civilized Greeks and uncivilized people, to both the educated and the ignorant; 15 therefore I am eager to proclaim the Good News also to you who live in Rome.

16 For I am not ashamed of the Good News, since it is God’s powerful means of bringing salvation to everyone who keeps on trusting, to the Jew especially, but equally to the Gentile. 17 For in it is revealed how God makes people righteous in his sight; and from beginning to end it is through trust — as the Tanakh puts it, “But the person who is righteous will live his life by trust.”[a]

18 What is revealed is God’s anger from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people who in their wickedness keep suppressing the truth; 19 because what is known about God is plain to them, since God has made it plain to them. 20 For ever since the creation of the universe his invisible qualities — both his eternal power and his divine nature — have been clearly seen, because they can be understood from what he has made. Therefore, they have no excuse; 21 because, although they know who God is, they do not glorify him as God or thank him. On the contrary, they have become futile in their thinking; and their undiscerning hearts have become darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they have become fools! 23 In fact, they have exchanged the glory of the immortal God for mere images, like a mortal human being, or like birds, animals or reptiles!

24 This is why God has given them up to the vileness of their hearts’ lusts, to the shameful misuse of each other’s bodies. 25 They have exchanged the truth of God for falsehood, by worshipping and serving created things, rather than the Creator — praised be he for ever. Amen. 26 This is why God has given them up to degrading passions; so that their women exchange natural sexual relations for unnatural; 27 and likewise the men, giving up natural relations with the opposite sex, burn with passion for one another, men committing shameful acts with other men and receiving in their own persons the penalty appropriate to their perversion. 28 In other words, since they have not considered God worth knowing, God has given them up to worthless ways of thinking; so that they do improper things. 29 They are filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and vice; stuffed with jealousy, murder, quarrelling, dishonesty and ill-will; they are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God; they are insolent, arrogant and boastful; they plan evil schemes; they disobey their parents; 31 they are brainless, faithless, heartless and ruthless. 32

They know well enough God’s righteous decree that people who do such things deserve to die; yet not only do they keep doing them, but they applaud others who do the same.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:14 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Jesus said just the opposite.

John 3:18

He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Matthew 15:18

But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
I’m sorry he never said Hitler was a misguided good man
Before you put that spin on Jesus teachings please do get to know the public better

Old 05-30-2018, 07:22 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.
Oh Jimmie, why do you assume and see in the scriptures that which is not there ?. Where does it say God has already made a judgement on the one not believing?. The judgement is those who are not believing have alienated themselves(in mind only, a mind that needs transforming) from the life (the Son of God).

Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I’m sorry he never said Hitler was a misguided good man
Before you put that spin on Jesus teachings please do get to know the public better
This was in reference to those being judged as sinners by the religious of their day. I don't know what Jesus would have said about Hitler. We do know He wasn't too keen on those that used scripture to condemn others.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This was in reference to those being judged as sinners by the religious of their day. I don't know what Jesus would have said about Hitler. We do know He wasn't too keen on those that used scripture to condemn others.
I understand no disrespect intended
Jesus did not have much good to say about lawyers and doctors nor priests
I don’t see him talking much about criminals at all
So I guess you ar right Hitler is not up for discussion
Jesus puts what looks like a curse on child molesters strong language

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-30-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity