Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 AM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nor was Christ milk-toasty about His agenda. I mean He indeed preached strongly about the very physical presence of eternal separation from God, but notice when and where He did that.... certainly not while healing the blind Bartimaeus (sp?) or raising the little girl from the dead or even telling the prostitute "go and sin no more" which, for many, would've seemed like the perfect time "to really let her have it!" But no, He was composed while letting her know how He felt about adultery as sin. There are so many ways one can tell someone that what they're doing is wrong in human eyes or sin in the eyes of a holy God. I just love the perfect way Jesus did it.

Jesus rocks!!!!
I agree that Jesus condemned when it was needed but I don't believe that the message was one of eternal separation. I believe that the message was one of hope and promise for all people although the process for some will involve an experience of hell. Jesus knew how talk to people and how to give them what they needed. He knew all hearts. Those religious leaders who were hypocritical in their ways needed a different approach than the broken prostitute. Jesus knew what each heart needed and I think we as His people should seek and develop wisdom, discernment on this with His help. We do not want to drive people away from the Lord with our approach although the message may not be one that some people are comfortable with if they do not want to change their ways right now. Paul teaches that we are to be gentle with all men and remember that we were once lost ourselves, deceived, enslaved, disobedient. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 08:43 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Imho, its out job to point people towards Christ in a loving, non-judgemental way, then the Holy Spirit can (as I well know) do the convicting. I know i hated it when someone told me how i was living was wrong, or what i was doing, it sure didnt make me wanna run and join the church, it made me wanna run the other way.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 PM

156 posts, read 609,841 times
Opinion of Jesus .....

Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that is was said to those of old, "You shall not murder," and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment. But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire."

Luke 9:56
"The Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them."

Isaiah 57 & 58
For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
"I dwell in the high and holy place
with him who has a contrite and humble spirit,
to revive the spirit of the humble
and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
For I will not contend forever,
Nor will I always be angry;
For the spirit would fall before Me,
And the souls, which I have made......
....I create the fruit of the lips:
'Peace, peace to him who is far off and to him
who is near,' says the Lord, 'and I will bless him.'....
.....Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?....."
Psalm 94
"O Lord the God who avenges, O God shine forth. Rise up, O Judge of the earth, pay back to the proud what they deserve.....they pour out arrogant words; all the evildoers are full of boasting. They crush your people, O Lord, they oppress...they slay the widow and the alien; they murder the fatherless. They say, the Lord does not see; the God of Jacob pays no deed. Take heed you senseless ones among the people;....does he who disciplines nations not punish? Does he who teaches man lack knowledge? The Lord knows the thoughts of man; he knows they are futile. Blessed is the man you discipline, O Lord, the man you teach from your law.....Who will rise up for me against the wicked? who will take a stand for me against evildoers? Unless the Lord had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death...can a corrupt throne be allied with you - one that brings on misery by its decrees? They band together against the righteous and condemn the innocent to death ...."

Psalm 99:4
"The King is mighty, he loves justice - you have established equity; in Jacob you have done what is just and right. Exalt the Lord our God...."

(Also, Mark 2:16-17, Mark 4:22, Mark 7:6-7)

Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM

17 posts, read 63,125 times
I can only add "The Great Commission". Like it's been said, the Gospel has to be delivered with gentleness and kindness. Many don't do this. It's a shame!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Thanks Isaiah. Actually I have not seen that verse, post it so I can look it up.
You're welcome. Are you referring to the verse about eternal separation? There are others to post, but I think I'll post my favorite one, especially since my question remains, for one individual, to have been answered with arguments - (who still insists on vitriolic attack upon what he claims he knows is in my heart and whose DM was hardly apologetic). I was hoping people will add their details on why we in the west (not America solely) - with all we have going for us -- still have trouble with being like Jesus and the present-day persecuted church when evangelizing.

Matthew 7:20-24
“Therefore by their fruits you shall know them. Not everyone who says “Lord, Lord” shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you: depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ Therefore, whoever hears these sayings of mine and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock….”

This thread’s question was specific.

(It is not a what’s wrong with America question for I stated “in the West”.

(Nor nor would I suggest people edit the Gospel to make it go down like candy.)

What was asked is the question why are some Christians in the West not evangelizing as Christ did?

As the Apostles did? the Early Church did? And - even as we speak - little N. Korean Christian children are? (many who, according to inside sources from that country, have even been instantly shot and killed for doing so).

Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
It's not the homeless girl who was broken in your post.

For whatever it's worth coming from June, (who did look up the above passage, by the way!) I think Isaiah's anger has a place in the encounter described. I may not be a "believer" and I may not have as much of a voice in saying this, but I thought that all were loved equally in Jesus's eyes...

------"And the greatest of these is love."

--Idyll thoughts from an atheist shrink who has a few patients who are, or are about to become....

homeless.

Take gentle care.
The delivery in some of these posts is amazingly fragile and sensitive, and it comforts.
June, you don’t sound like an athiest to me, for if you feel even an inkling that Jesus means hope for one’s soul and that He is just maybe possibly what the heart of mankind needs, then that would mean you’ve received something of this God you claim not to believe and that you have responded to this in your heart. He writes revelation of Himself and He writes His Law [of love] upon people’s hearts…..I love that.

Seems people in the west oftentimes forget Jesus was Jewish/an easterner. I wonder if that Hallmark image of an Anglo-Saxon Jesus keeps people from delving into His words and teachings (although that’s already been changing more, thanks to Mel’s and Ian’s movies, good!). I don’t know … just a thought. June, since you said you’re a “shrink” , I think you would like reading Dr. Ronald Enroth’s writings. He’s my former sociology professor, a friend and has helped many deal with authoritarian pastors and abuses, as his specialty is in cults and the occult. He’s gotten calls at 2am from desperate parents in Scotland about their abducted child, he’s exposed many aberrational “christian” groups and has been doing this ministry for 35 years.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Hi Isaih 30:18 and all the other posters. I am happy to see a lot of people are thinking about the condition of Christianity- no matter what your opinion maybe. I'm encouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity