Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:41 PM

396 posts, read 399,843 times

Advertisements

The question is: For Christians who have been called to not marry, is a "civil union" practical between two brothers-in-christ or two sisters-in-christ since a civil union is not a marriage? Your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
The question is: For Christians who have been called to not marry, is a "civil union" practical between two brothers-in-christ or two sisters-in-christ since a civil union is not a marriage? Your thoughts.
I didn't know that Christians were called not to marry, could you point that scripture out first? please
Thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 07:18 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
My opinion is if the laws are written to make sure that legally cu's hold the same benefits and rights as marriage, that they are a good way to ensure that gay Americans have the same rights as str8s, yet we aren't calling it marriage, so as not to enrage those who define marriage as between a man and woman.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Apostle Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
I didn't know that Christians were called not to marry, could you point that scripture out first? please
Thanks
Apostle Paul, who wrote a large portion of the New Testament, was never married. He was single his entire ministry. Did you know that?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
My opinion is if the laws are written to make sure that legally cu's hold the same benefits and rights as marriage, that they are a good way to ensure that gay Americans have the same rights as str8s, yet we aren't calling it marriage, so as not to enrage those who define marriage as between a man and woman.
I agree with you; "marriage" should be defined as being btwn a man and a women. Having said that, civil unions aren't defined that way. Many Christians who are called to singlehood should take advantage of this. Two christians, walking in Christ, can rely on one another. The relationship btwn Jonathan and David in the Old Testament comes to mind when I think of this topic. Do you see the benefits it offers?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,414 times
Quote:
Apostle Paul, who wrote a large portion of the New Testament, was never married. He was single his entire ministry. Did you know that?
The Bible never says if he was or wasn't married. It was highly unlikely that a Jewish man of his stature was not married. Some people hypothesize that if his wife was not a believer in Christ, it could have been the "thorn in his side". Just a thought.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
The Bible never says if he was or wasn't married. It was highly unlikely that a Jewish man of his stature was not married. Some people hypothesize that if his wife was not a believer in Christ, it could have been the "thorn in his side". Just a thought.
\

The Apostle Paul seems to say, in 1 Cor 7, that he was single (or do I interpret this wrong?):

8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Bud

Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
\

The Apostle Paul seems to say, in 1 Cor 7, that he was single (or do I interpret this wrong?):

8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Bud
Well, I stand corrected! Oops! I never noticed those 2 words before.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I agree with you; "marriage" should be defined as being btwn a man and a women. Having said that, civil unions aren't defined that way. Many Christians who are called to singlehood should take advantage of this. Two christians, walking in Christ, can rely on one another. The relationship btwn Jonathan and David in the Old Testament comes to mind when I think of this topic. Do you see the benefits it offers?
No, because Jonathan and David were friends as a result of the relationship to his father Saul. Jonathan and David wasn't trying to live in a marriage or "civil union". Unless I'm misunderstanding this whole concept.
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 09-24-2007 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: too much benadryl***zzzz, meant J&D wasn't

Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:

[+] Rate this post positively
Not for certain, but if you still have that scripture reference to validate your point I would appreciate it
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity