Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,134,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It came across as more of an act, after six years, but fundamentalists are gullible.
Yeah, I imagine most fundies would just eat this stuff up.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,663,164 times
I am not a fundamentalist. I don't use the phrase 'The Good News' personally. I thought this was very moving and very interesting.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,476,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I am not a fundamentalist. I don't use the phrase 'The Good News' personally. I thought this was very moving and very interesting.
I found it artificial, rather than something occurring naturally, especially after six years.
Apparently, it was meant to stir-up the emotions of the audience that was assembled.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Why anyone would want to follow the Penal Substitution theory with the clause of Eternal damnation is beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Well, that's it, Jerwade, I guess you are going to hell when you pass on.
"He's got the whole world in his hands...."
I have already experienced hell several times, it's not what people have been taught to believe.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, I imagine most fundies would just eat this stuff up.
Why fundamentalists? Anyone who believes in being saved by GRACE not works could enjoy this.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
I am an evangelical Christian and have lived among mormons for 30 years. I have never felt the kind, caring, loving acceptance from them that is common among my Christian brothers of various other denominations. There is an easily recognized level of sanctimonious arrogance that most of them have, that is not what Christianity is about. Much like in places the muslims are the majority they are a dominating force in all that happens in everyday life and politics in Arizona and Utah. The laws are rarely enforced when they do wrong, the local media tiptoes around reporting their misdeeds if they report them at all. I have known a few that have escaped the vice grip of mormonism and it came with severe consequences for most of them. While traveling years ago it was not at all shocking when a man I barely knew was discussing them and he knew I was from Mesa but could easily tell that I was not a mormon. It was a very nice compliment that I had a spirit of openness, kindness and none of the rigid, zombielike arrogance that he could easily spot a mile away.

Many people claim to be Christians but the way you treat your fellow man [especially those different from you] is what really tells who your master really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hi, there, Larry! Zombie-Mormon, Katzpur, here. It's nice to hear from a "true Christian." How amazing that it was so easy to tell that you were not one of those sanctimonious, arrogant Mormons, that instead, you were just the kind, open, loving and accepting person you've shown yourself to be by this post! It just goes to show what teaching by example can do.
Farmer Larry assumes an air of arrogance, condescension or superiority over others; to think that one is better, or more refined than other people as if his _____ doesn't stink.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
I am an evangelical Christian and have lived among mormons for 30 years. I have never felt the kind, caring, loving acceptance from them that is common among my Christian brothers of various other denominations. There is an easily recognized level of sanctimonious arrogance that most of them have, that is not what Christianity is about. Much like in places the muslims are the majority they are a dominating force in all that happens in everyday life and politics in Arizona and Utah. The laws are rarely enforced when they do wrong, the local media tiptoes around reporting their misdeeds if they report them at all. I have known a few that have escaped the vice grip of mormonism and it came with severe consequences for most of them. While traveling years ago it was not at all shocking when a man I barely knew was discussing them and he knew I was from Mesa but could easily tell that I was not a mormon. It was a very nice compliment that I had a spirit of openness, kindness and none of the rigid, zombielike arrogance that he could easily spot a mile away.
Many people claim to be Christians but the way you treat your fellow man [especially those different from you] is what really tells who your master really is.
Well, Baptists,at least Southern Baptists, are pretty stuffy. Part of what intrigued me when YouTube suggested this video to me. I was thinking from the frying pan to the fire. BUT there are different types of Baptist churches.

The part I was moved by was finding salvation via Grace rather than works. It's right there in the NT, as he said.

This is far from the first Mormon to have severe angst about all that is required in the Mormon church to be worthy, it's constant,it's unending, it's never enough. The relief that came over him must have been amazing.

The fundie comments confuse me. I was partly raised fundie and I had a similar relief as him when I was shown that I am saved by grace.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:10 PM

28 posts, read 11,672 times
Quote:

THE GOOD NEWS

God So Loved The World
that He gave His only begotten Son
that He is going to burn it up
With fire and brimstone.
And throw Satan and all the evil spirits
and all the children of the devil
and all that offends God

IN THE LAKE OF FIRE.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Why fundamentalists? Anyone who believes in being saved by GRACE not works could enjoy this.
A fundamentalist is the only one I know who would exalt himself, over that of others.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Well, Baptists,at least Southern Baptists, are pretty stuffy. Part of what intrigued me when YouTube suggested this video to me. I was thinking from the frying pan to the fire. BUT there are different types of Baptist churches.

The part I was moved by was finding salvation via Grace rather than works. It's right there in the NT, as he said.

This is far from the first Mormon to have severe angst about all that is required in the Mormon church to be worthy, it's constant, it's unending, it's never enough. The relief that came over him must have been amazing.

The fundie comments confuse me. I was partly raised fundie and I had a similar relief as him when I was shown that I am saved by grace.
James 2:18
But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

Faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity