Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 07:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It may help to open your eyes of understanding, especially when people see themselves as sinners or filthy rags having no righteousness.
OK well I never was taught nor do I believe that I am a filthy rag. So I am not sure what you think my eyes need to be opened to. I do believe that I am a sinner, but not filthy. I can't be filthy. That is impossible. God does not make junk. Jesus died for all of my sins in advance. My spirit is perfect, made in the image of God.

Even people who society sees as filthy. God does not. Christians should not. Jesus hung out with the 'filthy'.

And he never asked for a single thing back for the gift of Grace. It is a GIFT. Sad that some people think it's a cheap gift. Not very good, cheap implies. Maybe the fact that it's free is why some would see it as useless.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:16 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Are you under the mis-impression that this thread is about you personally?
No, I am under the impression that it's about what Mormons "supposedly" believe. I am also under the impression that you're afraid that if you answer my questions honestly, you may end up regretting it.
Quote:
I shall not respond further since you're being so rude.
Oh, that would be delightful! Thank you for dropping by, though!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh, that would be delightful! Thank you for dropping by, though!

Thanks for dropping by? In my own thread? You don't own all threads that mention Mormons. But it's funny that you think you do.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I've never heard that in my life. Do you have a source for this contention?
Actually, I'm not going to go back through the tens of thousands of posts to find one. It's not necessary, though. You could answer the questions yourself.

Is faith in Christ and acceptance of Him as our Redeemer essential to salvation? Or is it just nice to have?
What will happen to those who never heard of Him? Are they doomed to eternal torment or will God bend the rules when He judges them?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for dropping by? In my own thread? You don't own all threads that mention Mormons. But it's funny that you think you do.
I've never claimed to own any thread. But you can bet your life that when someone starts a thread with the intention of denigrating my religion by misrepresenting its beliefs, I'll be right behind that individual to set the record straight. Every time.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'm not going to go back through the tens of thousands of posts to find one. It's not necessary, though. You could answer the questions yourself.

Is faith in Christ and acceptance of Him as our Redeemer essential to salvation? Or is it just nice to have?
What will happen to those who never heard of Him? Are they doomed to eternal torment or will God bend the rules when He judges them?
This is what you said:

Quote:
Most Christians I've encountered say that a person must accept Jesus Christ in order to be saved. But when asked what will happen to the billions of people who have lived and died without ever having heard of Jesus Christ, they say that God will work it out. So, I ask you now, tell me how, precisely, He's going to do that?
That is very vague, so I asked you to cite a source that says this is what Christian's believe.

I will answer your questions since you found your way back to being polite. We are taught that it is essential, yes. It says in the Bible that only those who believe in Jesus will enter Heaven. And that we as Christians, part of the reason we have to spread the 'good news' is because their blood will be on our hands if we don't.

That poor missionary who got himself killed on that Island probably believed this. I have never in my life been to a church that said God would 'work anything out' for non-Christians. You believe in Jesus or you are damned. I do not personally believe this, but this is what is taught.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
That is what Mormons who are told this would like to know. How? They are told it's part of what they must do on earth to climb the ladder. If the woman in question has children, she can't seal herself to them or take them to heaven without being married in the temple to a worthy Mormon.

This leaves a lot of people excruciatingly concerned about their eternal life. The kind they are taught to believe in by their church.
Well, any Mormon who is "excruciatingly concerned about [his] eternal life" is clearly as clueless about Mormonism as you are. And that's pretty clueless.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I've never claimed to own any thread. But you can bet your life that when someone starts a thread with the intention of denigrating my religion by misrepresenting its beliefs, I'll be right behind that individual to set the record straight. Every time.
I wasn't denigrating anything. I felt that this man's journey was very moving. He doesn't condemn Mormonism either. He just didn't like it for himself. He was really ecstatic to learn that no matter how much he falls short, he is saved.

I didn't misrepresent anything either.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I will answer your questions since you found your way back to being polite.
I'm so glad you decided to stay. I haven't enjoyed myself on this forum this much in a very long time. There are definitely too few jencams around.

Quote:
We are taught that it is essential, yes. It says in the Bible that only those who believe in Jesus will enter Heaven. And that we as Christians, part of the reason we have to spread the 'good news' is because their blood will be on our hands if we don't.
So despite our best efforts, God is going to punish billions of people? That's one unloving God, if you ask me.

Quote:
I have never in my life been to a church that said God would 'work anything out' for non-Christians. You believe in Jesus or you are damned. I do not personally believe this, but this is what is taught.
So why are you even a Christian if you don't believe what apparently all Christian churches are teaching in this regard? And if the Bible says this, why in the world wouldn't you believe it? I mean, isn't the Bible the "be all and end all" when it comes to truth?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM

You don't get it. This is my thread. Of course I am going to stay. I said I will not respond to you if you insist on being rude. So don't expect a response from me if you address me rudely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.