Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:36 PM

21,098 posts, read 13,675,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I never gave that much thought, but you are right.
I know there are Celestial rungs, realms, diff levels. Just sayin...
The rungs and realms are excruciating for a lot of Mormons, and they are given double talk by their church about it.

One has to be married and have children to get to higher levels, this is painful beyond belief for those who can't find a partner/can't have children.

They are told Heavenly Father will work it out, but they don't say how, and saying that is in direct contradiction to what they are taught. That a temple sealed marriage is ESSENTIAL.

That is only one example. One of many.

Straight up, I am not worthy to be a Mormon and I thank God I do not have to be. The pressure cooker is too much.

I wish I were Catholic. Hey dude, I did this and that bad thing. Do this penance. God forgives you. Whew!

Plus they can drink and smoke and dance and all kinds of things. I was raised Baptist, which can also be hard, depending on the type, and mine was strict.

I don't think mine was Evangelical. I was baptized as a baby, but I didn't have to later be 'born again'.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,152,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _000_ View Post
What is the difference between grace and mercy?
I believe that grace allows and enables us to overcome sin. I see mercy as God's willingness to forgive us when we don't fully succeed, despite our best efforts.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:38 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,525,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
This was posted on a thread (that was recently closed) by L8Gr8Apost8:
For anyone interested, I found this woman really insightful (as well).
https://www.ted.com/talks/karen_arms...on?language=en
She's been around forever...brilliant. I think I have 2 of her books. Glad to see her mentioned here!

Old 12-02-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You are telling me that I'm either lying or stupid, that I'm either being intentionally deceptive in explaining my beliefs or that you understand LDS doctrine better than I do. Which is it?
None of the above. When did I say anything of the sort?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I'm not listening to a 20 minute video. If you have a rebuttal to what I posted, please summarize.

ETA, I am listening. What does this have to do with what I posted? I am not condemning anyone.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Yeah, well, I'd say the man in the video just liked the idea of cheap grace. Mormons believe that God's Plan of Salvation is designed not just to bring God's children back to Him, but to bring them back changed. No Mormon who truly understands his religion feels "overwhelming pressure" to do anything other than to do what Jesus Christ told us to do when He walked here on earth among men. I don't know about you, but I'd be downright ashamed to say that I thought He was asking too much of me.
Cheap Grace? What? Jesus came to fulfill the law and died on the cross. That is not cheap. What a bizarre statement. Sounds very judgmental to me. Are you condemning him for 'seeking cheap grace'? And me? I believe in what you call 'cheap Grace'. It's right there in the Bible, which I quoted for you.

Maybe you should listen to this video. https://www.ted.com/talks/karen_arms...age=en#t-65080

Old 12-02-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The rungs and realms are excruciating for a lot of Mormons, and they are given double talk by their church about it.

One has to be married and have children to get to higher levels, this is painful beyond belief for those who can't find a partner/can't have children.

They are told Heavenly Father will work it out, but they don't say how, and saying that is in direct contradiction to what they are taught. That a temple sealed marriage is ESSENTIAL.

That is only one example. One of many.
Talk about double-talk. First you say that Mormons are told that that they have to married (i.e. sealed in the temple) and have children in order to attain the highest level of salvation. Then you say that Mormons are told that Heavenly Father will work it out if they don't do this. So which is it?

Most Christians I've encountered say that a person must accept Jesus Christ in order to be saved. But when asked what will happen to the billions of people who have lived and died without ever having heard of Jesus Christ, they say that God will work it out. So, I ask you now, tell me how, precisely, He's going to do that?

Quote:
Straight up, I am not worthy to be a Mormon and I thank God I do not have to be. The pressure cooker is too much.
Straight up... You'd have to start out by developing a little humility. That pressure cooker would probably eliminate you right off the bat.

Quote:
I wish I were Catholic. Hey dude, I did this and that bad thing. Do this penance. God forgives you. Whew!
Well, what's stopping you?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
It’s Free Grace or No Grace At All

The testimony of scripture, from beginning to end, is that the offer of salvation in Christ is completely and totally free.

No strings attached.
https://theblazingcenter.com/2018/03/cheap-grace.html

Old 12-02-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm not listening to a 20 minute video.
Why not? The one you posted was 17 minutes.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Most Christians I've encountered say that a person must accept Jesus Christ in order to be saved. But when asked what will happen to the billions of people who have lived and died without ever having heard of Jesus Christ, they say that God will work it out. So, I ask you now, tell me how, precisely, He's going to do that?
I've never heard that in my life. Do you have a source for this contention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity