Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2021, 12:08 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,321,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
If you must know, I wanted the screen name pajamaGuru...lol but somehow ended up with jj. It was late at night and couldn't see the keyboard and somehow ended up with jj instead. Guru is a last name by the way. I'm not saying it's mine, but it could be.

Why on earth would you read and interpret the book of Revelations literally. Now you're just being carnal minded here.
The "jj" is just minor mishaps to ones I create, lol.

If we took the entire scripture as symbolic, what kind of mess do you think we would have, I don't even want to think how far away from God we would be if that were to happen.

The book of Rev. is to be approached no different than any other book, using proper hermeneutics, that is, taking the scripture literally UNTIL it becomes obvious it not literal. it will be obvious.

There are many things in scripture that are taken literal, as should be, but also has a symbolic meaning, this is very common in scripture and gives insight to the context. This is missed by many and they fail to gain the knowledge.

Rev. is filled with the symbolic, it's plain to see, but we can't take the whole book figuratively or what we are to learn will be lost. Almost all the symbols of Rev. go back to the Old Testament scripture and terminology, that's where you will find what the symbols represent, 9 times out of 10.

As we read through this book, very slowly I might add, read it as the newspaper until something says, this can't be literal, then you read the surrounding context to see what this symbol or figurative language is, thinking OT terminology.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:12 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I think my real problem with you is that I disagree on almost everything you say!
You've got some messed up stuff going on Mystic, it all came from your view of scripture.
If you can't believe the entire Word of God, is the Word of God, you're going to have some very, very serious problems, my friend!
Believing everything in the Bible is the word of God without testing the spirit of anything against the Holy Spirit of agape love revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus Christ is what will get you in trouble, Charlie. You will be forgiven "for not knowing what you are doing" but you will still have to account for being blind and leading the blind to err instead of agape loving God and each other.

The way I see it, you have to choose between:

1. continuing to blindly spread the misidentification of the Bible as God's word instead of Jesus and the theological errors and condemnations of others it has produced

- OR

2.you can choose the safest path and promote Jesus Christ's unambiguous agape love of God and His instructions to us to love God and each other, Charlie.

I know which I have chosen to do.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Believing everything in the Bible is the word of God without testing the spirit of anything against the Holy Spirit of agape love revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus Christ is what will get you in trouble, Charlie. You will be forgiven "for not knowing what you are doing" but you will still have to account for being blind and leading the blind to err instead of agape loving God and each other.

The way I see it, you have to choose between:

1. continuing to blindly spread the misidentification of the Bible as God's word instead of Jesus and the theological errors and condemnations of others it has produced

- OR

2.you can choose the safest path and promote Jesus Christ's unambiguous agape love of God and His instructions to us to love God and each other, Charlie.

I know which I have chosen to do.
Mystic, there's not a single line in the writings of those so-called primitive, barbaric old men that you can show to be incorrect!!!

But you insist we can't trust it, that is a shame and disgrace for a self-proclaimed Christian to profess.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:23 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Mystic, there's not a single line in the writings of those so-called primitive, barbaric old men that you can show to be incorrect!!!

But you insist we can't trust it, that is a shame and disgrace for a self-proclaimed Christian to profess.
Charlie, are you sure you want to go there? Not a single line in the OT incorrect? Really?

Old 06-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Charlie, are you sure you want to go there? Not a single line in the OT incorrect? Really?
What of relevance is incorrect? We all know that some numbers and minor things were mistaken by the scribes rewriting here and there, but nothing of significance.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:39 PM

1,091 posts, read 278,700 times
Quote:
The "jj" is just minor mishaps to ones I create, lol.

If we took the entire scripture as symbolic, what kind of mess do you think we would have, I don't even want to think how far away from God we would be if that were to happen.

The book of Rev. is to be approached no different than any other book, using proper hermeneutics, that is, taking the scripture literally UNTIL it becomes obvious it not literal. it will be obvious.

There are many things in scripture that are taken literal, as should be, but also has a symbolic meaning, this is very common in scripture and gives insight to the context. This is missed by many and they fail to gain the knowledge.

Rev. is filled with the symbolic, it's plain to see, but we can't take the whole book figuratively or what we are to learn will be lost. Almost all the symbols of Rev. go back to the Old Testament scripture and terminology, that's where you will find what the symbols represent, 9 times out of 10.

As we read through this book, very slowly I might add, read it as the newspaper until something says, this can't be literal, then you read the surrounding context to see what this symbol or figurative language is, thinking OT terminology.
I agree with some of what you said, and when you understand the two elements of the soul: "flesh" and "spirit", the scriptures become much more clear when reading parables, judgements, etc. And, as Meerkat is often opt to point out, there are many layers to understand and see through before arriving at a correct interpretation or understanding. And, that understanding may only be appropriate for the one to whom it's been given.

And, single layer interpretations that become "dogma" may not always be the correct one to grasp onto. Within each of those layers of "dogma" are still further hills and valleys to navigate, down or up, with each having their own wide or narrow perspective lens to view from, depending on where God has placed you in your appointed "times" and "seasons".

I don't think you can really approach the book of Revelations like a "newspaper" though. It just isn't. It has to be understood within the full context of all scripture that leads up to it. And there are many layers to explore and delve into. It can also be thought of as a roller-coaster. Wherein you travel up and down through the myriad periods of the souls life.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I agree with some of what you said, and when you understand the two elements of the soul: "flesh" and "spirit", the scriptures become much more clear when reading parables, judgements, etc. And, as Meerkat is often opt to point out, there are many layers to understand and see through before arriving at a correct interpretation or understanding. And, that understanding may only be appropriate for the one to whom it's been given.

And, single layer interpretations that become "dogma" may not always be the correct one to grasp onto. Within each of those layers of "dogma" are still further hills and valleys to navigate, down or up, with each having their own wide or narrow perspective lens to view from, depending on where God has placed you in your appointed "times" and "seasons".

I don't think you can really approach the book of Revelations like a "newspaper" though. It just isn't. It has to be understood within the full context of all scripture that leads up to it. And there are many layers to explore and delve into. It can also be thought of as a roller-coaster. Wherein you travel up and down through the myriad periods of the souls life.
Can you explain exactly what you mean by the "flesh and spirit," in as few words as possible?

Old 06-05-2021, 01:14 PM

1,091 posts, read 278,700 times
Quote:
Can you explain exactly what you mean by the "flesh and spirit," in as few words as possible?
I'll try. The "flesh" is the nature of man's body that God formed from the earth. The "spirit" of man is the breath of God that God breathed into the body. Those two elements "flesh" and "spirit" form the compound: soul. The body is the tabernacle of the soul.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I'll try. The "flesh" is the nature of man's body that God formed from the earth. The "spirit" of man is the breath of God that God breathed into the body. Those two elements "flesh" and "spirit" form the compound: soul. The body is the tabernacle of the soul.
Yes, that is the foundation of the creation of man in Gen.

From that we learn that the body of flesh is just a house for the spirit and soul of man to live.

I thought you had some other meaning for it. Wasn't sure what you meant.

There is no way for us to understand the spiritual aspect of scripture without knowing this.

I see what you meant now.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:06 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

Everything is INCORRECT that is NOT CONSISTENT WITH OR COMPATIBLE WITH the Holy Spirit of agape love who IS God, Charlie. You ignore it all and blindly accept things that cannot POSSIBLY be accepted as TRUE together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity