Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 02:17 PM

1,091 posts, read 278,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I would answer that one may think they are being led by the Holy Spirit; but they have no way of being objectively sure of that unless they place themselves under the proper authority established by Christ Himself - namely the Church.

This is a purely subjective standard, and there is no reason anybody should take your experience as even remotely authoritative.

This is an extremely shaky foundation for Truth.
I didn't say my experience was authoritative for others. It's simply what I experienced, and I see no reason to deny it. You have an exceedingly militant attitude, much like Saul did before coming to Christ (Gal 1:13-14).

I can hear the Pharisees telling Paul the things you're telling me after Paul's encounter with Christ on his way to Damascus.

You do realize the Gospel you believe in, if in-fact you do, came to Paul, not by man, not by tradition, not even by written parchment, but rather by direct revelation from Christ Himself. Right?

Old 08-23-2022, 02:22 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I have been taking you to the original languages and showing you they do not teach eternal torment
But your arguments about the Greek are simply your opinion and have no real authoritative backing.

αἰώνιον means eternal/everlasting.

aeternum means eternal/everlasting.

Try to work around that if you want. Complicate the simple and square your circles.

The near unanimous consensus of Christianity throughout the ages affirms the doctrine of eternal hell. Your opinion is in the extreme minority and always has been. If that doesn't bother you, then fine; but it would bother me.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
I didn't say my experience was authoritative for others. It's simply what I experienced, and I see no reason to deny it. You have an exceedingly militant attitude, much like Saul did before coming to Christ (Gal 1:13-14).

I can hear the Pharisees telling Paul the things you're telling me after Paul's encounter with Christ on his way to Damascus.

You do realize the Gospel you believe in, if in-fact you do, came to Paul, not by man, not by tradition, not even by written parchment, but rather by direct revelation from Christ Himself. Right?
I have no interest in exchanging personal insults. If you trust in your subjective experience as authoritative, then that is your right. I, however, have not been blessed with visions or apparitions, so I am forced to stick with the objective.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I do not deny that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. Of course He is. This, however, does not mean that every individual human ends up in heaven as you think it means.

It's a simple interpretive disagreement, and it's wrong of you to accuse me of denying Christ or of unbelief.
Actually you do deny it. Look, if Christ does not, in-fact, save the world, then He is not the savior of the world. This should be obvious to anyone who reads scripture for what it actually says rather than through the lens of Church dogma and the traditions of men.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Actually you do deny it. Look, if Christ does not, in-fact, save the world, then He is not the savior of the world. This should be obvious to anyone who reads scripture for what it actually says rather than through the lens of Church dogma and the traditions of men.
Two things are obvious here:

1) You have a difficult time understanding nuance in language. Christ being the Savior of the world is not invalidated or negated by reprobate souls experiencing eternal justice.

2) What you think is "obvious" is quite obviously *not* so obvious considering that universalism has always been an extreme minority position within Christianity

Old 08-23-2022, 02:35 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times
Quote:
"The RCC" is a universal body that encompasses all peoples and nations.

This is demonstrably false. If Scripture does such a fine job of "interpreting itself", then why are there tens of thousands of different interpretations and denominations? Why do no two Christians agree on everything?

Because most refuse to search the scriptures for themselves to find the answers and let their church leader tell them what is true. Just look at yourself for example, if your church says something is so then come hell or high water you are going to believe it is so.

Quote:
I do not deny that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. Of course He is. This, however, does not mean that every individual human ends up in heaven as you think it means.

It's a simple interpretive disagreement, and it's wrong of you to accuse me of denying Christ or of unbelief
I never said you denied Christ brother I said because of your church traditions you deny the scriptures that say Jesus Christ is the saviour of all men and the saviour of the word.

Logic and reason are not on your side here brother.

One cannot logically say Jesus Christ is the saviour of the world and then deny that the world will be save.

And this is the third time I will ask you this.
Please show me yourself or via your church your agreement with Jesus Christ being the saviour of the world

Old 08-23-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I have no interest in exchanging personal insults. If you trust in your subjective experience as authoritative, then that is your right. I, however, have not been blessed with visions or apparitions, so I am forced to stick with the objective.
I don't actually trust in my experiences, per se, they're simply my own traditions, if you will.

My experiences simply reinforce what the Holy Spirit has shown me in scripture. However, I don't place my trust in those experiences. I also believe in direct revelation from Christ.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
And this is the third time I will ask you this.
Please show me yourself or via your church your agreement with Jesus Christ being the saviour of the world
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're looking for.

I do agree that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, as I have repeatedly affirmed. You are wanting to understand what that means?

Old 08-23-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Two things are obvious here:

1) You have a difficult time understanding nuance in language. Christ being the Savior of the world is not invalidated or negated by reprobate souls experiencing eternal justice.

2) What you think is "obvious" is quite obviously *not* so obvious considering that universalism has always been an extreme minority position within Christianity
The soul is not reprobate, at least not according to the spirit. That's simply Augustine's doctrines talking. Can you show me where the very breath of God (Gen 2:7), the spirit of man, the very image of God (Gen 1:26-27), also called the candle of the Lord (Pro 20:27), is ever called reprobate?

Old 08-23-2022, 02:47 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times
Quote:

Yup,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity