Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2021, 07:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,332,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nowhere in MQ's post did she say she didn't believe in Scripture. The issue is that you like your interpretation better than hers. Everybody that thinks about what they read has an interpretation.
Yes, that's true also! I don't pick and choose what I think is truth and what is not.

I take the whole Word of God as truth. That is what separates MQ and myself when it comes to scripture.

But hey, we have the right to believe whatever we choose.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,734,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Yes, that's true also! I don't pick and choose what I think is truth and what is not.

I take the whole Word of God as truth. That is what separates MQ and myself when it comes to scripture.

But hey, we have the right to believe whatever we choose.
I've never seen anything in her posts that said anything in the Bible wasn't true.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I've never seen anything in her posts that said anything in the Bible wasn't true.
Wonder where she stands on this?

1 Cor. 6:9-10

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I see you're using a fairly new translation.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM

88,725 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:

A man named Paul wrote this because he was a highly educated, learned Jew, and in his religion and in his culture, homosexuality was seen as sinful, an abomination, as we already know from Leviticus. He wrote that in his letter of the church at Corinth because he believed it to be true (and from the context, it seems that the Corinthians in that church were getting a bit wild. He goes off on just about everything.)

The difference between us is that you believe that just because this guy named Paul who had taken it upon himself to spread and codify Christianity according to his Judaic beliefs wrote that, it means that he spoke for God, and I don't.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I see you're using a fairly new translation.
The KJV uses the word "effeminate" which means in the Greek,

soft, soft to the touch

metaph. in a bad sense

effeminate

of a catamite

of a boy kept for homosexual relations with a man

of a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness

of a male prostitute

Old 05-03-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A man named Paul wrote this because he was a highly educated, learned Jew, and in his religion and in his culture, homosexuality was seen as sinful, an abomination, as we already know from Leviticus. He wrote that in his letter of the church at Corinth because he believed it to be true (and from the context, it seems that the Corinthians in that church were getting a bit wild. He goes off on just about everything.)

The difference between us is that you believe that just because this guy named Paul who had taken it upon himself to spread and codify Christianity according to his Judaic beliefs wrote that, it means that he spoke for God, and I don't.
Which goes back to my former post. I believe the whole Word of God is truth and you choose what you see as truth.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 AM

88,725 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
The KJV uses the word "effeminate" which means in the Greek,

soft, soft to the touch

metaph. in a bad sense

effeminate

of a catamite

of a boy kept for homosexual relations with a man

of a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness

of a male prostitute
But those aren't the things those Christians who accept and welcome LGBTQ people are talking about. A boy kept for homosexual relations with a man is obviously WRONG. Someone is being used by another person. Someone is being harmed.

No, the issue is that you also want death and punishment to come upon people who are born attracted to and loving another person of their same gender, whether they are having sexual relations or not, or are monogamous or not. They cannot change who they are. God made them that way. We know that now in this day and age.

Is it not better to choose knowledge over old superstitions and encourage LGBTQ people to not go underground and live in a world of furtive promiscuity, or even worse, falsely marry someone of the opposite sex who they cannot really love to hide their true nature?

To let them know they are worthy of God's love they way they are? To let them choose a life partner and welcome their family into God's family?

"You're an abominable sinner and I'm only telling this because I love you" doesn't fool anyone and is pretty far from the love of Christ.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But those aren't the things those Christians who accept and welcome LGBTQ people are talking about. A boy kept for homosexual relations with a man is obviously WRONG. Someone is being used by another person. Someone is being harmed.

No, the issue is that you also want death and punishment to come upon people who are born attracted to and loving another person of their same gender, whether they are having sexual relations or not, or are monogamous or not. They cannot change who they are. God made them that way. We know that now in this day and age.

Is it not better to choose knowledge over old superstitions and encourage LGBTQ people to not go underground and live in a world of furtive promiscuity, or even worse, falsely marry someone of the opposite sex who they cannot really love to hide their true nature?

To let them know they are worthy of God's love they way they are? To let them choose a life partner and welcome their family into God's family?

"You're an abominable sinner and I'm only telling this because I love you" doesn't fool anyone and is pretty far from the love of Christ.
We know from Romans 1 that Paul was referring in 1 Corinthians to "of a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness."

Old 05-03-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
We know from Romans 1 that Paul was referring in 1 Corinthians to "of a male who submits his body to unnatural lewdness."
No, we don't know that. We don't know what Paul was referring to in Romans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity