Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the origin of this Jesus quote?
1. The Eye of the Needle is a secret entrance into Jerusalem 3 20.00%
2. Jesus said cable and not camel...as in a rope 0 0%
3. Jesus is just using hyperbole like take the plank out of your own eye 4 26.67%
4. Other - please explain! 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 12:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,135,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
A Needle in the old Eastern countries, was a small and narrow gait in a walled city, that they would only open at night or at certain times during the day. Only a man could walk through it and a camel couldn't get through it unless it was unloaded first and it's pack inspected. The man talking to Jesus was rich because of ill-gotten gain. Jesus knew this about him and told him to give the ill-gotten gain to the poor and follow him. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy, otherwise.
That's always the understanding I've believed. I'd have no issue with Jesus making a play on words around it and using hyperbole, as well. Bottom line is that "the needle" is not the important part as much as it is his teaching on the attitude that pleases God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 01:41 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,546,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I don't know where the saying comes from, but most Christians misunderstand it. So-called "scholars" of Bible can debate all the reasons they think the rich young ruler did not get saved. However, what they miss is the rich young ruler was surely saved, as Mark 10:21 declares that Jesus loved him. Jesus only loves His sheep (Psalm 5:5, Matthew 7:23, John 17:9, Romans 9:13), and He has promised He will never lose any of His sheep (Luke 15:4-7; John 6:39, 10:27-29; Romans 8:28-39).

Riches are a strong obstacle to obedience, however. Jesus laid down His life for us, and we should most definitely do the same for Him, no longer living for ourselves but for Him. We owe Him nothing less than everything. But who can even begin to do this as we ought to, especially a rich man?
Are speaking in my area? Cuz.. I'll go.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:56 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,546,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
... Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and love one another
as I have loved you. What if Jesus really meant that?
And turn the other cheek.
But, you and I know he did mean that.

And you don't play a role pretending and acting this out, 'loving and being nice to people'.
Jesus meant realize...realize Truth, realize what the Reality Is---I am in each of you - I am in the homeless man, the nagging wife - the awful neighbor ---I am in them.
There is no trying to be kind ---there is Realization... of what all this is...a manifestation of God...
All is in my Father, the Father is in all.
See It.

So glad you posted, sis. xo

Old 10-26-2019, 02:58 PM

64,148 posts, read 40,475,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But, you and I know he did mean that.

And you don't play a role pretending and acting this out, 'loving and being nice to people'.
Jesus meant realize...realize Truth, realize what the Reality Is---I am in each of you - I am in the homeless man, the nagging wife - the awful neighbor ---I am in them.
There is no trying to be kind ---there is Realization... of what all this is...a manifestation of God...
All is in my Father, the Father is in all.
See It.

So glad you posted, sis. xo

Old 10-26-2019, 03:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,987,746 times
People cannot enter heaven based on his or her own works or personal righteousness. Only by faith in Christ Jesus can we enter heaven.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:46 PM

20,499 posts, read 12,896,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
People cannot enter heaven based on his or her own works or personal righteousness. Only by faith in Christ Jesus can we enter heaven.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,953,827 times
Has anyone else noticed that the "view first unread post" feature doesn't work on threads with polls? It always takes me to the last post in the thread.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,953,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ozzy, did you know that pretty much in the same breath (2 verses later), Jesus reportedly said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible”?
Good point.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:31 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,459,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ozzy, did you know that pretty much in the same breath (2 verses later), Jesus reportedly said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible”?
It’s easy to read this story and think the rich man was a guy with loads of wonga.

Read what Paul said about himself, he was rich in every way but he had to basically consider it dung to pass through the eye of the needle. Paulie had it all .....If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless

Go sell all your beliefs come and follow me.

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ

Old 10-26-2019, 09:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,504,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is it that you are calling heaven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity