Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the origin of this Jesus quote?
1. The Eye of the Needle is a secret entrance into Jerusalem 3 20.00%
2. Jesus said cable and not camel...as in a rope 0 0%
3. Jesus is just using hyperbole like take the plank out of your own eye 4 26.67%
4. Other - please explain! 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 04:12 AM

1,754 posts, read 756,366 times

Advertisements

I've heard different theories as to what specifically Jesus said or meant when he claimed "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." From Mark 10:25 (<- the same as today's date!)

1) Some people say there was a secret entrance in the wall of Jerusalem that the Romans didn't know about that a camel could pass through if it lowered itself and jettisoned some cargo. Hence a rich person would have to humble themselves and give away some to charity. The secret entrance was called....the eye of the needle.

2) Some people say it is mistranslated and it really reads cable and not camel. So Jesus meant rope rather than a thread of camel. Remember, Jesus spoke Aramahic and the New Testament was written into Greek, and then translated into English....and things get lost along the way. A cable, or rope, cannot fit through the eye of the needle.

3) Jesus was using hyperbole...like "take the plank out of your eye" which is too big to be in an eye.

It seems like he is just trying to flip an old concept taught at the time that God made the rich...rich...and therefore were the most likely to go to heaven. But what is the best reasoning for the origin of this saying.

Last edited by QuakerBaker; 10-25-2019 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 06:27 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
I don't know of the origin of the saying, or the original Greek. I've always understood it to mean that the pull of riches and worldly pursuits is so strong that it makes it nearly impossible for a person to focus on the kingdom of heaven. The two just can't compete. A few of Jesus' other sayings have clarified this for me--like a person can't serve two masters, where your treasure is there will your heart be, if thine eye be single...

Life experience has also shown this to be true. Not only do riches have a seductive effect and make people want more and more like a drug, but they also trap a person in a certain lifestyle that can be hard to leave, and that requires a lot of time/energy to maintain.

On the other hand, I don't believe a person has to be dirt poor in order to be spiritually minded. When one is too poor, life can be ruled by illness, anxiety, survival, hardship, working 3 jobs...and one doesn't have the time and energy to devote to spiritual things like study, fellowship, and prayer/contemplation.

For me, it's about the conditions in one's life that will enable a person to focus on the important things, i.e. spiritual development. Jesus warns us of a major obstacle: riches.

Last edited by kmom2; 10-25-2019 at 06:36 AM..

Old 10-25-2019, 06:54 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
When you value earthly riches, it's hard to make the switch and value Christ more than riches.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:35 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
A rope can be unraveled but it can't pass through while it is a rope.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:49 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I think people fail to realize that Jesus often used humor in his speech.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Its natural and to be expected that many people will try to find an alternative interpretation for this verse, because it conflicts with popular opinion today...people today like the idea of being rich/having alot of money.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:36 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
A rope can be unraveled but it can't pass through while it is a rope.
Oh, that’s a good one.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:05 AM

566 posts, read 678,479 times
A Needle in the old Eastern countries, was a small and narrow gait in a walled city, that they would only open at night or at certain times during the day. Only a man could walk through it and a camel couldn't get through it unless it was unloaded first and it's pack inspected. The man talking to Jesus was rich because of ill-gotten gain. Jesus knew this about him and told him to give the ill-gotten gain to the poor and follow him. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy, otherwise.

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-25-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-25-2019, 01:15 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
A Needle in the old Eastern countries, was a small and narrow gait in a walled city, that they would only open at night or at certain times during the day. Only a man could walk through it and a camel couldn't get through it unless it was unloaded first and it's pack inspected. The man talking to Jesus was rich because of ill-gotten gain. Jesus knew this about him and told him to give the ill-gotten gain to the poor and follow him. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy, otherwise.
That idea became popular within the past few years and circulated the Internet as well as the sermon circuit, but I'm not sure it has any basis in fact.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:35 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,385,293 times
I just give my wife all my money; HER problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity