Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 01:24 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
Actual scientist, universities would never say that flaws and undeterminable calibrations exist if it never was true, I gather this info from people who have PHDs and other high educational degrees in that particular field.
You're getting your information from young earth creationist sites.

Again, when something is dated using two or more different dating methods and the testing is carried out by independent labs, the results are trustworthy.

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-26-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 01:29 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EonBlueSyZ View Post
Am I not allowed to respond to comments / responses to my own posts which answered the OP's question?
The thread title is “does the bible teach science?”

I started a thread on “how does God communicate with man” if you and mystic are interested in continuing the discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 05:39 PM

732 posts, read 211,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EonBlueSyZ View Post
God wrote the Bible, in part, to reveal Himself to humanity and to reveal the person of Jesus Christ to the world.

The Bible presupposes God's existence, man's depravity, the existence of angels and demons, future end-time events, etc. - many things that cannot be measured or quantified or observed scientifically.

To answer the question - no, the Bible does not teach science nor speak to it. That is not the intent or purpose of the Bible.
The old testament does teach clean and unclean foods that are all scientifically backed, nowadays we have advanced cooking/preparation methods thats can overcome the unclean meat. But there is nobody who can refute the soundness of those clean and unclean

Old 04-26-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Did someone say, they saw a dinosaur ...?
Yeah, man. That looks just like one. Cool

Old 04-26-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't see it as a change for the better, IMO.
Did you see it though? How did it get to be there?

Old 08-16-2021, 05:13 AM

127 posts, read 64,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
''Ancient people held several ideas that seem silly in light of modern scientific research. The human authors God inspired to write the Bible were no different from any other ancient people. As a result, antiquated ideas about the natural world show up in their writings. . .the Bible's authors believed the earth was flat. They also thought the liver, kidneys or intestines, and not the brain were the seat of human intellect and emotion. St. Paul may even have thought that a woman's hair helped women to become pregnant. . . How can we trust the Bible if some of the information it records is not actually true?''

Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser answers that question in the short 7 minute video below.

Michael Heiser — Does The Bible Teach Science? How the Bible’s Own Context Answers the Question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFQR6MQ9es

That was fascinating.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:34 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know. I saw it on a sign in my old church once, and I thought it made a lot of sense. I don't believe we are meant to set our intellectual abilities aside and be robots. It's kind of like burying the talent, ya know?

Now there's a sentence that doesn't make sense, but I'm pretty sure you mean "do I believe the Bible is the inerrant, actual, infallible 'Word of God'".

No, I do not. Human beings wrote the 66 books and letters compiled into the volume we now know as "the Bible", and they wrote those books and letters for different reasons. They all represent humanity's search for and attempts to define God, but as one of those very letters pointed out, they all fell short. There's some wisdom in those writings. There's also a lot of purely-human nonsense, which, at the time, probably made sense to the authors.

The human desire to have God defined and watered down and condensed into a neat little black-and-white package one can carry in one's purse makes for a very limited spirituality, as well as something close to idolatry.

ETA: Please do not quote 2 Tim 3:16 in response. It's tiresome and shows no use of that God-given ability to reason.
Well done, MQ!

Old 08-16-2021, 10:42 AM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia25 View Post
That was fascinating.
I'm glad you found it to be so.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:58 AM

299 posts, read 104,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Science and the Bible's teachings sometimes parallel each other, however the Bible is not intended to be a science textbook. Jehovah's people however, which of course are all Bible penmen, were aware the earth was round, at least from the writings of Isa anyway 40:22 to be exact. Take a gander at Job 26:7 Mike, isn't that unbelievable? When did worldly men of science figure that one out?
We can't say who figured out first. Phoenician sailors seem to have known in the 6th century BC. By the 5th century BC, the idea was well-published in Greek literature.

"My conviction is that the Earth is a round body in the centre of the heavens, and therefore has no need of air or of any similar force to be a support"
- Plato
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity