Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 01:00 PM

33,367 posts, read 26,637,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKurreto View Post
Another dating method often discussed when studying one of the various sciences is radiocarbon dating (also known as carbon-14 dating). Some people who defend the theory of evolution have been known to say that this method of dating supports the idea that the Earth is billions of years old. The truth is, however, carbon-14 dating is totally useless in measuring the millions (or billions) of years needed by evolutionists.

Evolutionist Richard Dawkins admitted the weakness of radiocarbon dating when he said, “It is useful for dating organic material where we are dealing in hundreds or a few thousands of years, but it is no good for the evolutionary timescale where we are dealing in millions of years.” Even the inventor of carbon-14 dating, W.F. Libby, acknowledged that it is not an accurate way of dating things past a few thousand years old. Simply put, radiocarbon dating can never be used to get accurate ages measured in millions or billions of years.

In addition, carbon-14 dating has been shown to be far from perfect in measuring organic material. Seals that were freshly killed have been dated at 1,300 years old. Also, when scientists tested two parts of a frozen musk ox found in Fairbanks, Alaska, two vastly different dates were given. Radiocarbon testing falsely showed that one part of the musk ox was 24,000 years old, while another part was only 7,200 years old. Obviously, carbon-14 dating cannot accurately render dates for the age of the Earth in billions of years. The truth is, it has trouble even with items measured in hundreds or thousands of years.
'Evolutionists' don't use Radiocarbon dating to date the age of ancient fossils because of the fact that Carbon-14 dating can only go back to about 50,000 years and so is useless for dating fossils that are millions of years old.

Instead, there are several different ways of dating fossils and rocks which can date back to billions of years and are accurate such as Uranium-lead (U-Pb) dating, Rubidium-strontium (Rb-Sr) dating, Potassium-argon (K-Ar) dating. The first two are used to date the age of the earth itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 03:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,457,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How long do you believe it will take for this planet to cool down at its core?
And how long do you think it took for the surface to cool down?
Quote:
God miraculously made it to inhabit life as soon as necessary. Miracles defy the laws of physics so whether He waited a few moments or did it instantly, it happened rather quickly
In other words, you cannot give, neither do you have an answer to the questions.
Which means, the honest thing to say is you do not know, rather than speculating.

They were not questions, regarding miracles or that of defying the laws of physics?
Let me just say that it took, and will take more than a few (6,000) thousand years.

Last edited by Jerwade; 04-25-2021 at 04:21 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 03:55 PM

16,746 posts, read 15,787,616 times
Quote:
In other words, you cannot give, neither do you have an answer to the questions.
Which means, the honest thing to say is you do not know, rather than speculating.

They were not questions, regarding miracles or that of defying the laws of physics?
Let me just say that it took, and will take more than few a (6,000) thousand years.
Just a couple of thoughts regarding that 6000 year thing.

The Great Meteor Crater in Arizona is 50,000 years old.

The Appalachian Mountains are 200 million years old.

DNA research has determined that female DNA goes back at least 140,000 years and male DNA goes back at least 200,000 years.

The vast majority of woolly mammoths went extinct about 10,500 years ago.

It is true that science may fine tune some of those numbers as more is learned, but they won't change much.

No, the Bible isn't teaching science.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:14 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
Quote:
Whale fossils and other ocean fossils have been found on the tallest mountains in the world, Himalayas, Andes in South America. How would a whale get on top of a mountain 20,000 feet tall?
200 cultures all around the world all have the same story, just different small details about only a few people surviving a global flood. South Americans have stories like that, Asians, Africans sometimes. According to you its all just coincidence?
In North America, a man made well was discovered over 100 feet below the surface during a large excavation job some years ago. How would a man made well be covered with that much dirt?

Didn't we have someone else who came up with this one recently? ETA: Yup, about a month ago. Hmmm.

The whale did not get on top of the Himalayas. The whale was in the ocean when what is now the Himalayas was the bottom of the ocean.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:37 PM

732 posts, read 214,019 times
Quote:

Let me just say that it took, and will take more than a few (6,000) thousand years.
I gave a reasonable answer that was inferred from the Genesis account. If you really disregard the Holy Scriptures being factual on a literal 6 24 hours of creation, then thats your perspective. I'm not giving credit to the long span of time that contradicts the grammer of scriptures. You are simply speculating yourself, you possess absolutely no proof whatsoever, no imperical examples to gauge upon

Old 04-25-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Reference to dinosaur in Job, I believe myself that is what is mentioned. By the precise application on logical reasoning we can from the chapter's context rightly concluded that those described creatures in fact a now extinct dinosaur.
In the book of Job, many still existing creatures are mentioned.
Lions, mountain goats, wild ox, donkey, ostrich, hawk, eagle. Why talk literally about those that we still have today and not talk literally about the behemoth and leviathan as they too are described so realistic just like all these other creatures? It makes no sense to turn off realism in this particular context. It speaks of behemoth as having a tail like a cedar tree, and that it is so huge, sounds like dinosaur to anybody with a lick of common sense. No other large creatures today have tails that make people think of trees swinging around.

Leviathan is referred to as being impossible for spears to kill it. People literally tried to according to the plain language and they all seem to fail, why would God's word do that if it's not true? Native Americans have pottery figures of dinosaurs before the white man knew what some of them looked like until the 1990s! Check into that
You are hardly in a position to talk about logical reasoning and common sense when you believe in a six day creation. The Bible does not mention dinosaurs regardless of what you personally believe.

Lions, mountain goats and the others that you mentioned are still with us. Dinosaurs are not and haven't been for some 65 million years other than birds.

So far as 'Behemoth's' tail bending like a cedar, why assume that it's referring to a cedar trunk instead of a cedar branch?

However, as noted in the Bible Knowledge Commentary, the Ugaritic parallels indicate that the verb yaḥ·pōṣ, translated as 'moves' or 'sways' actually means ''stiffens.' And some Bible translations translate it that way such as the ESV, the CSB, the HCSB, the ISV, and others which you can view by clicking here - https://biblehub.com/job/40-17.htm In that case, a hippopotamus fits the description in Job nicely. No dinosaurs needed.

And as for Leviathan, while elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible Leviathan is symbolic for chaos, here in Job is seems to be referring to an actual animal. . .perhaps a crocodile.

As for the claim that native American pottery depicts dinosaurs . . .No. Read the following.
Alleged Dinosaurs and in Ancient Art
The earth is billions of years old and dinosaurs did not co-exist with man. Young earth creationism is an embarrassment to Christianity.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Didn't we have someone else who came up with this one recently? ETA: Yup, about a month ago. Hmmm.

The whale did not get on top of the Himalayas. The whale was in the ocean when what is now the Himalayas was the bottom of the ocean.
Yep!

Old 04-25-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Just a couple of thoughts regarding that 6000 year thing.

The Great Meteor Crater in Arizona is 50,000 years old.

The Appalachian Mountains are 200 million years old.

DNA research has determined that female DNA goes back at least 140,000 years and male DNA goes back at least 200,000 years.

The vast majority of woolly mammoths went extinct about 10,500 years ago.

It is true that science may fine tune some of those numbers as more is learned, but they won't change much.

No, the Bible isn't teaching science.
Absolutely.

And it's a matter of fact that the rock (lava) which form the Hawaiian Islands chain increase in age the further to the northwest you go.
Many of the islands and seamounts shown have been radiometrically dated. The ages grow older from zero, near the Big Island of Hawaii, to a maximum of 80 million years for the oldest seamount.

https://biologos.org/articles/how-ol...waiian-islands

Old 04-25-2021, 05:07 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,872,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
That's because you refuse to accept the scientific evidence which disproves any literal interpretation of the Genesis creation story and you don't understand how the Bible relates to its ANE context.
I have in fact listened to extensive teaching on how there is evidence for a young earth in Creation science; and the facts of science do not contradict a young earth creation theory.

Though I have forgotten much of what I learned; it convinced me of the truth of a young earth creation understanding even after I grew up in an environment where evolution was taught to me very consistently.

Quote:
No argument about that.

The issue is not what God could have done but rather, what did He do. How did God choose to bring things about.
Yes, and what He did do is that He created the earth 6,oo0 years ago with an apparent age of things in both the earth and in the Universe. Adam was not created as a baby; likewise He did not create the Universe in an infant state.

Quote:
The age of fossils and of rocks can be determined by radiometric age dating. Since the rate of radioactive decay in rocks is known and can be measured, the age of rocks can be determined quite accurately.
I hadn't heard about that method; but I do know that scientists have gauged the age of the materials at the site of Mt' St. Helens and determined them to be much older than what everyone knew they really were.

Quote:
No, we do not. Whatever Job was referring to, it wasn't dinosaurs co-existing with man a few thousand years ago.
Sure it was.

Quote:
In the 21st century, even deepest Africa is not so deep that large dinosaurs could remain hidden. There would have to be a population base large enough to sustain the species that it would be impossible for them to remain undetected.

However, most paleontologists today believe that birds are dinosaurs, having descended from the theropod group of dinosaurs.
You obviously were never privy to the documentaries that I was privy to look at.

Quote:
Very obviously ''the pillars of the earth'' are not scientific statements. But neither is Job in 26:7. The ancient Hebrews knew nothing about a globular earth ''hanging'' in space. It simply wasn't part of ANE cosmology.
Forgive my ignorance...what is ANE cosmology?

Obviously Job knew about the earth hanging over empty space; otherwise he wouldn't have written about it.

Quote:
No, it doesn't. It refers to a flat circle. Again, this has been covered in post #4. And the very link that you posted confirms what I'm saying. A circle is not a sphere.
Look again at the link and everything in it.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
I have in fact listened to extensive teaching on how there is evidence for a young earth in Creation science; and the facts of science do not contradict a young earth creation theory.

Though I have forgotten much of what I learned; it convinced me of the truth of a young earth creation understanding even after I grew up in an environment where evolution was taught to me very consistently.

Yes, and what He did do is that He created the earth 6,oo0 years ago with an apparent age of things in both the earth and in the Universe. Adam was not created as a baby; likewise He did not create the Universe in an infant state.

I hadn't heard about that method; but I do know that scientists have gauged the age of the materials at the site of Mt' St. Helens and determined them to be much older than what everyone knew they really were.

Sure it was.

You obviously were never privy to the documentaries that I was privy to look at.

Forgive my ignorance...what is ANE cosmology?

Obviously Job knew about the earth hanging over empty space; otherwise he wouldn't have written about it.

Look again at the link and everything in it.
You don't know what you are talking about. As I just got through saying in a different post, young earth creationism is an embarrassment to Christianity.

ANE - ancient Near East. The cosmology of which is a flat circular earth (like a pancake) with a solid dome (the firmament) in which the stars, moon, and sun are embedded and somehow able to move through the solid firmament.

Here are visual depictions of ancient Near East, including the Bibles, cosmology in the link below.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-25-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity