Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 11:02 PM

563 posts, read 157,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
''Ancient people held several ideas that seem silly in light of modern scientific research. The human authors God inspired to write the Bible were no different from any other ancient people. As a result, antiquated ideas about the natural world show up in their writings. . .the Bible's authors believed the earth was flat. They also thought the liver, kidneys or intestines, and not the brain were the seat of human intellect and emotion. St. Paul may even have thought that a woman's hair helped women to become pregnant. . . How can we trust the Bible if some of the information it records is not actually true?''

Did the Bible ever claim to be a Science Book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
God did not reveal to the ancient Hebrews that the world is a sphere. They didn't know that it is a sphere. They thought the earth was flat and supported on pillars, and that the firmament was a hard dome over the earth and was itself supported on pillars (the mountains at the ends of the earth).

I thought it was the Pelasgians who taught about the pillars of Atlas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 11:28 PM

33,383 posts, read 26,690,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligurian View Post
No, the Bible does not claim to be a science book. But many people try to read science into the Bible. The day-age and the GAP interpretations of the Genesis creation story are attempts to harmonize science and the Bible.

Quote:
The pillars or foundations of the earth are mentioned in Psalm 104:5, Job 38:4, 2 Samuel 22:16, 1 Sam. 2:8, Psalm 75:3. These verses speak of a foundation of pillars which hold the earth in place.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,194,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
only in metaphysical way.
one needs to know original ancient languages, habits, history, numerology, mysticism, e.t.c.
e.g. Gerald Schroeder "Genesis and the Big Bang: The Discovery Of Harmony Between Modern Science And The Bible' and his other books.
Gerald Schroeder Home Page

Old 03-17-2021, 08:35 PM

23,321 posts, read 10,620,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligurian View Post

If the bible goes against science and the word of God goes against science, well then it proves the word of God wrong by repeatable results. Science is simply repeatable results because something is true, and if something is true, it repeats itself.

If you think God is not a God of science who knew this universe is 16 billion years old or something, you should.think about that thing.

If science proves the big bang and evolution and your God doesnt know about it, it wouldn't be a very smart God.

Is.God against what is?

Old 03-18-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If the bible goes against science and the word of God goes against science, well then it proves the word of God wrong by repeatable results. Science is simply repeatable results because something is true, and if something is true, it repeats itself.

If you think God is not a God of science who knew this universe is 16 billion years old or something, you should.think about that thing.

If science proves the big bang and evolution and your God doesnt know about it, it wouldn't be a very smart God.

Is.God against what is?
God created world of metaphysical Law, science sees only physical.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
God created world of metaphysical Law, science sees only physical.
I dont know what that means. I know that in the 1980's we proved the big bang is a fact, and we know evolution is a fact.

Do you think different?

My mother thinks God just put a bunch of dino bones in the ground a few thousand years ago lol.

I would tell you that not only does the bible back up the big bang and the moon slamming into the earth, but also teaches evolution from cover to cover.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 03-18-2021 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-19-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I dont know what that means. I know that in the 1980's we proved the big bang is a fact, and we know evolution is a fact.

Do you think different?

My mother thinks God just put a bunch of dino bones in the ground a few thousand years ago lol.

I would tell you that not only does the bible back up the big bang and the moon slamming into the earth, but also teaches evolution from cover to cover.
i partially agree.
old rabbi said that what embedded in language of beginning of Genesis 1 is only thing God created ex nihilo was some particle of matter with a program built in...the rest came as made out of that programmed particle.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
i partially agree.
old rabbi said that what embedded in language of beginning of Genesis 1 is only thing God created ex nihilo was some particle of matter with a program built in...the rest came as made out of that programmed particle.
You lost me, but who is old rabbi?

Old 03-19-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You lost me, but who is old rabbi?
Nachmanides
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachmanides

Old 03-19-2021, 02:43 PM

11,977 posts, read 3,801,788 times
Quote:
i partially agree.
The “word/logos” the “seed” “the light” in the beginning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity