Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 05:08 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,005,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Would it matter if I quoted Scripture? Would you believe it? I believe that Calvin was right when he said it, but I've never read any of the 3 authors you mentioned. Please stop making assumptions about me.
Augustine was one of the early (i.e., 4th-5th century) Christian Fathers. As a matter of fact, he is considered to be the most significant Christian thinker after St. Paul. Dante (i.e., Dante Alighieri) was a 14th century Italian poet, prose writer, literary theorist and moral philosopher. He was best known for his "Divine Comedy" in which he describes his imagined journey through Hell and Purgatory. He dramatically influenced Christian thought and the impact of his viewpoint cannot be overstated even today. I am amazed that you are unfamiliar with these men as their interpretation of the Bible was the foundation for Calvin's theology.

Quote:
The Bible says we did. You are correct in that we all need a savior. But in the post I responded to, it said that we needed a savior prior to us living on earth. Why would we need a savior prior to life?
I never said anything about our needing a Savior in our pre-mortal life. I can't figure out what I said that made you think I did. No, we did not need a Savior until we became mortal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 07:54 PM

3,516 posts, read 1,421,505 times
It's going to be pretty nerve-wracking going to church on Christmas while Omicron going around. A LOT of people attend mass on Christmas so it might be a bit packed.

I really wish our Bishop would put back the dispensation again to attend mass. The Covid situation is obviously getting really bad again.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:20 PM

23,201 posts, read 10,481,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It's going to be pretty nerve-wracking going to church on Christmas while Omicron going around. A LOT of people attend mass on Christmas so it might be a bit packed.

I really wish our Bishop would put back the dispensation again to attend mass. The Covid situation is obviously getting really bad again.
Yea, thats just not factual, 1 person has died from Omicron, and its like a cold to most, more people have died from ANYTHING ELSE, lighting lol.

All the hype with no bite.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:43 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-INC Man View Post
...........................That is the reason we celebrate Christmas, the coming of our Lord who saved mankind from eternal punishment in hell. .....................
Jesus did Not become Messiah until age 30 so it's at his baptism to save mankind from eternal punishment but Not in hell.
Biblical hell comes to a final end according to Revelation 20:13-14. After everyone in biblical hell (grave) gives up the dead in hell/grave, then emptied-out hell is cast empty into that symbolic second death for vacated hell.

Eternal punishment is: eternal destruction - Psalm 92:7; Psalm 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22.

December 25th was chosen by people (Not Scripture) to replace the non-scriptural festival of the Saturnalia.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:49 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Fret Not, because truthfully the facts show Jesus was Not born on Dec. 25th. Dec.25 birth day is a lie.
What is true, what is fact, is what Jesus taught coming to pass at Luke 21:11 - there would be pestilence........(Rev. 6:8)

Old 12-23-2021, 11:06 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Augustine was one of the early (i.e., 4th-5th century) Christian Fathers. As a matter of fact, he is considered to be the most significant Christian thinker after St. Paul. Dante (i.e., Dante Alighieri) was a 14th century Italian poet, prose writer, literary theorist and moral philosopher. He was best known for his "Divine Comedy" in which he describes his imagined journey through Hell and Purgatory. He dramatically influenced Christian thought and the impact of his viewpoint cannot be overstated even today. I am amazed that you are unfamiliar with these men as their interpretation of the Bible was the foundation for Calvin's theology.
OK? and? Do you think that I only get my theology from reading Calvin, or Augustine or Dante? Why bring them up?

Hell is a topic that the Bible teaches about. We should believe it simply for that reason alone.
Quote:
I never said anything about our needing a Savior in our pre-mortal life. I can't figure out what I said that made you think I did. No, we did not need a Savior until we became mortal.
You didn't, no. But the original poster did, which I responded to. You then picked up my response to him/her. I didn't mean to suggest you did.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:41 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Default Why we celebrate Christmas Day ?

I don't know why anyone else celebrates it, but for me and mine, we do not celebrate the DAY so the particular date is irrelevant. We celebrate what Christmas symbolizes - the birth of Jesus and the incarnation of God in a human thereby permanently connecting all humanity with God. That just seems like the most momentous occasion ever and surely filled with "Good Tidings of Great Joy."

Old 12-23-2021, 07:50 PM

116 posts, read 38,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Actually Jesus is my king. Show us in the bible where Jesus asked for his birth to be celebrated. Otherwise its a tradition of men. And Gods word says--By the traditions of men you make the word of God invalid.
Jesus specifically asked for the lords evening meal to be remembered. Not his birth.
Did you ever read the encyclopedias about the added pagan practices from false god worshipping holidays? To both celebrations they try to hand to Jesus. Did you ever wonder why the name santa unscrambles to satan? And why santa is stealing 98% of that holiday away from Jesus?
Here is what God word says about one partaking off the table of demons( pagan false god worship practices)-1Corinthians 10:21--It says--One CANNOT partake off the table of God and the table of demons.
I dont say these things to be mean, but i know for sure, Jesus will not accept anything that came off the table of demons. neither will his followers. Encyclopedias are facts. The information is all there in them.
Yes the world hates truth, it always has. It murdered Jesus, apostles and the followers back then because they were exposing the table of demons to the world.
A follower of Jesus obeys him. He said to be no part of this world. That means they are different, they do not fit in thus unaccepted. Jesus said his followers would be hated.

Jesus teaches--The meek will inherit the EARTH.Matthew 5:5) Who do you think this is to? Most false teachers tell everyone they are going to heaven and throw Jesus truth away. So they have no clue who Jesus tells thaty truth to.

You probably have no clue satan has his teachers on earth to-2Corinthians 11:12-15-- they transform into angels of light making things off the table of demons look loving to the mortal heart.

You are confused kjw47 on the difference between pre-mortal life and mortal life.

You said:
If Jesus took the sin. Then why all who have lived, then died, be required to pay their own wages of sin?
Acts 2:22 teaches--Repentence gets sin blotted out.

The sin that Jesus took is the sin committed during man's pre-mortal life, which is the sin committed by Adam and Eve. This particular sin is not forgivable when man is transformed into mortal life that is our life on earth. This particular sin needs a redeemer to shed his blood to blot this sin out and if neglected because of not believing to the Son of God that person is destined to perpetual punishment.But in the mortal life, the sins committed by the flesh can be blotted out by repentance.

If you have no background on the pre-mortal life you would not understand OT and NT.

The following are some verses pertaining to the pre-mortal life.
2 Timothy 1:9
who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1 Peter 1:20
For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you

John 17:24
Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

Revelation 13:8
All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain.

Ephesians 1:4
just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love

John 17:5
Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

John 1:29The next day John saw Jesus coming to him and said the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world”

Job 12:10
in whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind?

Isaiah 14:12How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, who didst weaken the nations!”.

The nations referred to is all the peoples of all the nations, the souls therein.

Last edited by X-INC Man; 12-23-2021 at 08:15 PM..

Old 12-23-2021, 08:24 PM

116 posts, read 38,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't know why anyone else celebrates it, but for me and mine, we do not celebrate the DAY so the particular date is irrelevant. We celebrate what Christmas symbolizes - the birth of Jesus and the incarnation of God in a human thereby permanently connecting all humanity with God. That just seems like the most momentous occasion ever and surely filled with "Good Tidings of Great Joy."

What we celebrate is the coming to earth of the Son of God, the Messiah who save mankind from eternal damnation, from the wrath of God and we are thankful to God that His Son came for the sake of all.
It does not matter what season of the year He came, what matters He came.
1 Peter 1:20
For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the SAKE OF YOU.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:24 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
OK? and? Do you think that I only get my theology from reading Calvin, or Augustine or Dante? Why bring them up?
I don't think you realize you do. Let me put put this way: If none of these three individuals had ever lived, it is highly unlikely that you would understand the Bible in the way you do.

Quote:
Hell is a topic that the Bible teaches about. We should believe it simply for that reason alone.
Agreed. I believe in hell, but I do not believe the same things about it as you do. Furthermore, I don't believe the earliest Christians did either.

Quote:
You didn't, no. But the original poster did, which I responded to. You then picked up my response to him/her. I didn't mean to suggest you did.
No problem. I do believe you misunderstood the OP, though, because Mormons do not believe we were accountable for any sin at birth. I'll have to check out all of the OP's posts on this thread to see where he said what you're saying he said. After I've done that, I'll comment further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity