Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 01:55 PM

444 posts, read 113,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For the Christian, Jesus made it perfectly clear what kind of mind we need to have in order to be guided by the Holy Spirit (Comforter). It is not rocket science or a mystery. You cannot be guided by the Holy Spirit when in any other states of mind, especially those that are OPPOSITE to these.

Philippians 2:5-30 King James Version
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.
I agree. but how do we know the mind of Christ? The scriptures tell us.

3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility consider one another as more important than yourselves; 4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. 5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, ,
He doesn't say listen to the Holy Spirit in you but plainly tells us what mind we should have.

Here he tells us what is walking by the flesh and walking by the Spirit.
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

We are told we have the Spirit in us just as we are told that Jesus, God and the word are in us. I'm not aware of a scripture that says listen to the Spirit in you or let the Spirit in you guide you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 02:25 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post

3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility consider one another as more important than yourselves; 4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. 5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, ,
He doesn't say listen to the Holy Spirit in you but plainly tells us what mind we should have.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

We are told we have the Spirit in us just as we are told that Jesus, God and the word are in us. I'm not aware of a scripture that says listen to the Spirit in you or let the Spirit in you guide you.
2nd Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)
2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

John 16:7-14 King James Version (KJV)
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth
: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)
27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:26 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,718,016 times
Quote:

Our spirit within us is the container (vessel) at the smallest/personal level

Individually we are composite of intellect and feelings which are to be subordinate to the spirit in balance

There is also the greater systemic levels, which religious people are affiliated to or under the ‘yoke’ or ‘bondage’ or ‘circumcision’ as it were

I believe that what the Scriptures are saying is what happened with His own people is that these higher levels get/got mixed up and imbalance was/is the result, and it is that confusion and imbalance at those highest levels which also reach down to the lowest levels over ‘generations’

That is why in Ephesians it says the war is not at the personal level (flesh and blood) it is at the systemic level

Eph 6:10**Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11**Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12**For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13**Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14**Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15**And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16**Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17**And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18**Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Eph 6:19**And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20**For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

But systems do not operate by themselves, it is the collectives of individuals that perpetuate them via their own inheritance so to speak

Last edited by Meerkat2; 03-13-2022 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 04:20 PM

9,899 posts, read 1,282,702 times
Quote:
Christianity today is in so many pieces. I don't see anyway possible that the Holy Spirit has done this. One group says white and another says black. Especially on the most important topic of HOW one is added to Chris's church. I believe the Holy Spirit guided the writers of the bible and that is how we have the Holy Spirit till the end of time.

The great commission was to the 11. They were the ones that lead us into the church age.
Jn. 14:25 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Heb. 2:3 how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard,

19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,

There is no need for the Holy Spirit to guide individuals today other than by the inspired word. The word has been revealed by the Holy Spirit and is forever unchanging. Today, the "Holy Spirit" guiding individuals is why we have the multiple divisions we have. 10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.
I agree with you completely!

Old 03-13-2022, 04:29 PM

9,899 posts, read 1,282,702 times
Quote:

Me either! The only way I know of that the Holy Spirit guides us is through His word, the Scriptures.

Old 03-13-2022, 05:44 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,923,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Which NT Bible? Can you not name it?

Did they or the NWT also say that John 1:6, 1:12, 1:13, and 1:18 should read “a god†since they don’t have the definite article previous?

I have asked you this question repeatedly, but you refuse to answer. Ignoring my question only goes to prove bias.

It doesnt have to be in every spot, But everywhere God and Jesus are mentioned together Or God and satan at 2Cor 4:4

New Testament an improved version-1808= a god
New testament in Greek and English-1822-a god
Literal translation of New Testament- 1863= a god
Concise commentary bible-1885= a god
Plus a few others.

James Moffat bible-was divine
Hugh Schoenfield bible- Was divine
Edgar Goodspeed bible-Was divine

Old 03-13-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
It doesnt have to be in every spot, But everywhere God and Jesus are mentioned together Or God and satan at 2Cor 4:4

New Testament an improved version-1808= a god
New testament in Greek and English-1822-a god
Literal translation of New Testament- 1863= a god
Concise commentary bible-1885= a god
Plus a few others.

James Moffat bible-was divine
Hugh Schoenfield bible- Was divine
Edgar Goodspeed bible-Was divine
There were no upper and lowercase letters in Koine Greek at the time, period. It is a later development. Your mentors are lying to you.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:56 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Quote:
Me either! The only way I know of that the Holy Spirit guides us is through His word, the Scriptures.
And for you, that's probably true. I know that the Spirit definitely guides me! By the way, do you see the Spirit as even having a role at all in this day and age? Or is His job already done?

Old 03-13-2022, 06:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 885,422 times
Quote:
Paul was inspired. People today are not. There are, however, some very gifted preachers and teachers out there. It certainly is a blessing to hear one.
Everyone who has accepted the plan of salvation through Jesus Christ and has accepted the Holy Spirit is inspired.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
2nd Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)
2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

John 16:7-14 King James Version (KJV)
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth
: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)
27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.
Quote:
This is so sad! The Holy Spirit is NOT a book. It is a state of mind - the "mind of Christ." So many people have been misled and misguided by the belief that a book is our God's word instead of Jesus Christ and the Comforter sent in His name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity