Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 04:39 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,705,401 times

Advertisements

What I get from some of the posts is that people have given up on many of the systems of Christianity and are no longer willing to support it

The same as the reformers were not willing to support the papacy, a lot of individuals brought up in the various ‘sects’ are no longer willing to support those ‘sects’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 07:51 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
How is having humility going to fool God into thinking a person believes something he doesn't?
It doesn't fool anyone. Humility predisposes one to believe truth when it is presented to them. It's only the first step to acquiring genuine faith.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:54 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What? Why do you want to be humble?
To be more like Christ would be the main reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Whatever that reason is will be the reason you'll never get there. Sought after virtue is not virtue.
That's just not true and makes no sense. Would it be preferable to seek out vice?

Old 04-30-2022, 10:48 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,845,403 times
Quote:
How do you propose that these unbelievers change their beliefs? Not what they say, not whether they go to church, not whether they read a Bible, but what they really believe. Regardless of their actions, God would know what they really believe? How should they go about changing that?
A person can cultivate faith in Jesus Christ and what He did for them by simply getting into His word (Romans 10:17). I believe that if you do that, eventually if not immediately, the message will sink in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This verse is what you have to lose. Serving a deity who if you tick him off even a little, will squash you like a bug. Kissing him, so that his fragile ego is not wounded -- not because you actually like, much less love, him.

To have such a level of Stockholm Syndrome for this monster that you read the truth said out loud here in this verse and actually feel that it is somehow a good thing and are actually okay with it.
This Deity will squash you like a bug for certain if you don't believe in Him (John 3:18).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus Christ was betrayed with a kiss, I don't read he lost it with Judas when he betrayed him.
Jesus knew that Judas would betray Him with a kiss; and in anticipation, He said that for Judas it would be better for him if he had never been born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To the actual question of the OP, What do you have to lose?

One answer might be the chance to have, if not happiness, some contentment in this life. For people who believed most of their lives and yet were handed stones when they asked God for bread, it may just be that "your life might be sad and difficult now as long as you believe and take what I hand you but think how GREAT it will be when you're dead!" is no longer enough. Suffering may have worn them down to the point where they just can't believe this anymore. There's no evidence of God's love except supposedly some words on a page in a book full of promises never realized that now ring hollow. They have nothing left in them to give, nothing left to help them believe, because believing and trusting in God and trying to live a righteous life has brought nothing but sorrow.

The end to crying out in prayer and studying the scriptures with no answer ever coming forth may simply be a relief after a lifetime of trying to get the attention of a God who doesn't seem to give a rat's ass about you no matter what you do or don't do.
Jesus did say, "In this world you will have tribulation."

It is those who have had the seed fall on the rocky ground who give up on Jesus when trial or persecution comes.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:21 PM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
A person can cultivate faith in Jesus Christ and what He did for them by simply getting into His word (Romans 10:17). I believe that if you do that, eventually if not immediately, the message will sink in.

This Deity will squash you like a bug for certain if you don't believe in Him (John 3:18).

Jesus knew that Judas would betray Him with a kiss; and in anticipation, He said that for Judas it would be better for him if he had never been born.

Jesus did say, "In this world you will have tribulation."

It is those who have had the seed fall on the rocky ground who give up on Jesus when trial or persecution comes.
Ah, the "your own damn fault" response, devoid of all Christian compassion, giving the compassionless self-permission to dismiss the pain of others, backed, of course, by Scripture. Predictable, and SO unChristlike. And strangely, I pity you for it.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:17 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,845,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, the "your own damn fault" response, devoid of all Christian compassion, giving the compassionless self-permission to dismiss the pain of others, backed, of course, by Scripture. Predictable, and SO unChristlike. And strangely, I pity you for it.
Jesus did say that if I followed Him I might one day be hated of all men for His sake.

I find that more and more, I am hated by unbelieving people over the fact that I put my trust in Him...

I don't claim to have been perfected.

But it seems that there are many, who are un-Christ-like themselves, who will judge you over the fact that you are still a work in progress.

I do try to be as perfect as possible; but I understand that there are times that I continue to fall short.

I find it odd that it is the same people who judge Christians for being imperfect who, when confronted with scriptures that define sin, will cry, "Judge ye not, lest ye be judged!". It seems that that is their favorite verse except when it applies to the judgments that they make about Christians.

Old 05-01-2022, 03:59 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
To be more like Christ would be the main reason.

That's just not true and makes no sense. Would it be preferable to seek out vice?
Try it. Why do you want to be humble? Why do you want to be more like Christ? What is it you want out of being more like Christ? Wanting virtue is attached to the self. Christ was selfless.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 05-01-2022 at 04:20 AM..

Old 05-01-2022, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Jesus did say that if I followed Him I might one day be hated of all men for His sake.

I find that more and more, I am hated by unbelieving people over the fact that I put my trust in Him...

I don't claim to have been perfected.

But it seems that there are many, who are un-Christ-like themselves, who will judge you over the fact that you are still a work in progress.

I do try to be as perfect as possible; but I understand that there are times that I continue to fall short.

I find it odd that it is the same people who judge Christians for being imperfect who, when confronted with scriptures that define sin, will cry, "Judge ye not, lest ye be judged!". It seems that that is their favorite verse except when it applies to the judgments that they make about Christians.
You are command to be the light of the world. I got into a discussion on the politics form and I commented that if every Christian was like a certain poster (Geekie) I would consider it proof that yes, there is something there. Instead, Christians are the same mix as any other group.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:18 AM

If you are truly a work in progress then stop telling people what you know as if it comes from God. You don't know He will squash people like a bug, you don't know He sent the Jews to Hell, you don't know, you don't know what you don't know.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:12 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
How is having humility going to fool God into thinking a person believes something he doesn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It doesn't fool anyone. Humility predisposes one to believe truth when it is presented to them. It's only the first step to acquiring genuine faith.
I doubt that's true, but I suppose there is a small chance (<1%) that it could work. However your thought seems to imply that all unbelievers lack humility, and I see no reason to believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity