Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 03:37 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I doubt that's true, but I suppose there is a small chance (<1%) that it could work. However your thought seems to imply that all unbelievers lack humility, and I see no reason to believe that.
There are plenty of unbelievers who have never been presented with truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 03:44 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Within the Western nations, I'd say the number of people that have never heard of the Bible, God, or Jesus is infinitesimally small.

Old 05-01-2022, 03:45 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
U mad? Oh, y U mad?

Old 05-01-2022, 04:07 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Within the Western nations, I'd say the number of people that have never heard of the Bible, God, or Jesus is infinitesimally small.
True, but the % of people who understand what Jesus did for us is small, IMO.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:51 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
What I get from some of the posts is that people have given up on many of the systems of Christianity and are no longer willing to support it

The same as the reformers were not willing to support the papacy, a lot of individuals brought up in the various ‘sects’ are no longer willing to support those ‘sects’
Excellent points Meerkat2. I agree!

Old 05-01-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This verse is what you have to lose. Serving a deity who if you tick him off even a little, will squash you like a bug. Kissing him, so that his fragile ego is not wounded -- not because you actually like, much less love, him.

To have such a level of Stockholm Syndrome for this monster that you read the truth said out loud here in this verse and actually feel that it is somehow a good thing and are actually okay with it.
May I ask you a question? I understand if you choose not to answer. Was there ever a time that you were a believer? If so, did something happen, or was it simply a conclusion you came to. Someone else, in another post, made a good point. Many people are turned off from Christianity due to things other Christians say or do. I’ve seen that first hand. People can be very cruel, even those who claim to be Christians.

I don’t view God in the same way you do. I don’t believe He will squash me like a bug whenever I sin against Him. I believe He is a very loving and forgiving God. All that He requires is that we confess our wrongdoings to Him and stop sinning. I believe God is a just, fair and righteous God. He hates sin and cannot be in its presence.

I actually do love Him. I fear Him only in the sense that I see Him as very powerful being who is able to destroy me if He chose to, but to be honest, I rarely, if ever, think of Him in that way. I think a lot about Jesus. When I read the gospels, I see so much love there. Even if you don’t believe He is who He says He is, you have to admit, He was the greatest man ever to walk this earth. Even Muslims believe He was a great man. Anyway, I serve Him because I love Him, not because I fear Him.

Am I okay with some people being condemned by Jesus to eternal punishment? I’d be a liar if I said no. I guess I’m one of those people who thinks that those who rape and beat little children deserve to suffer. I have a hard time sympathizing with people like those who brought down the trade towers and killed thousands of innocents. Imho, there must be justice whether in this life or in the next for the unrepentant. Does that make me a bad Christian? Maybe. I don’t know.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It starts with maybe dropping the obnoxious snark and maybe being willing to have an actual conversation. There are some here that are reasonable, but so many are just here to belittle others.
I didn’t see mensaguy’s post as snarky. I thought he asked an honest and sincere question.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
What do I have to lose? First, a life not living in fear. Then, a life free of those who wish to instill fear. Finally, a life where one has figured out how to co-exist with those who wish me to live in fear. I have moved through all three phases and it was all done without ever publicly announcing I am an unbeliever. And where did I end up? Surrounded by people who have had a positive influence on my life - all believers.

I see now that I was protecting myself from other people and their need to influence me. I did not need protection from God or a belief in God.
Thanks for your response. I can’t speak for others, but I don’t find myself living in fear. I have a healthy reverence for God. I know He has the power to destroy me. But I also know He doesn’t want to. I think He wants to shower me with blessings. In fact, he’s done that so abundantly in my lifetime.

I hope I am never the kind of Christian who wants to instill the fear of God in others. I’d much rather show others His love.

I’m sorry for whatever hardship you went through. I would be interested to hear your story if you care to share it.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Isn't this a snarky answer to an honest question that could lead to "actual conversation"?

No one thus far in this thread has tried to belittle anyone, so it's YOU taking the conversation in that direction by responding in such a manner to mensaguy's post.
I thought mensaguy’s question was excellent.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:30 PM

553 posts, read 173,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

Am I okay with some people being condemned by Jesus to eternal punishment? I’d be a liar if I said no. I guess I’m one of those people who thinks that those who rape and beat little children deserve to suffer. I have a hard time sympathizing with people like those who brought down the trade towers and killed thousands of innocents. Imho, there must be justice whether in this life or in the next for the unrepentant. Does that make me a bad Christian? Maybe. I don’t know.
There is a cause for all evil. Even Judas didn't turn Jesus in to the authorities until satan had entered him. Aside from satan, there are many examples of why evil happens, even hidden causes. One example I read about in 1997 was about a man who suddenly developed the intense desire to go out and get a gun, then come home and shoot up his entire family. Instead, he confided in his doctor. The doctor did a battery of tests finally determining the murderous man suffered from Lyme disease. The man was treated for Lyme and his desire to kill left him.

Only God knows the hidden reasons for the horrors we commit. But I know he can cure whatever ails us physically, psychically and spiritually. That is (my) faith in something not yet seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity