Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 07:32 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,276,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
In my sect even wanting to connect with that world was the very worst thing a person could be. That meant you were an apostate. I was a stranger in a strange land.
That is sad! Sometimes parents, though they love us to the best of their ability, can cause damage that lasts a lifetime. It can be a tough hurdle to overcome. It’s very hard as a parent to strike the proper balance. We need to be in the world but not of the world is a difficult concept to teach our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 07:54 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
That is sad! Sometimes parents, though they love us to the best of their ability, can cause damage that lasts a lifetime. It can be a tough hurdle to overcome. It’s very hard as a parent to strike the proper balance. We need to be in the world but not of the world is a difficult concept to teach our children.
I now see "the world" as anything that makes you feel less than or unworthy. The more you dislike yourself the further away from God you become IMO. The more you dislike anyone the further you go. For a lot of us that begins early. I don't believe my damage is any more unquie than anyone else's. In fact, I believe that's why my parents are the way they are. They couldn't overcome it so they passed it down. I have the internet so I can connect with others so I'm going to be OK.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Very good question! Thanks for asking.

Here’s the verse you asked about.

“There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.” (1 John 4:18)

Imho, both unbelievers and believers who are not mature in their knowledge of God have varying degrees of fear. The true believer doesn’t have to fear eternal punishment. He has been made perfect/complete in love. The love of God is what drives him, not fear of Him. He has come to know God. He will approach the judgement seat with confidence.

I like the part that says “fear involves torment.” It’s so true. I can remember a time very early on in my Christian walk. I believed my sins were unforgivable. What a horrible feeling that was. But as I read and studied different characters in the Bible, I came to know God better and began to see just how forgiving He is. If God could forgive King Manasseh, who sacrificed his own children in fire, and David for setting up Bathsheba’s husband to be killed, He could forgive me.

What are your thoughts on the verse?
I just think, if God is really what I felt; I completely trust His judgement be He lable me sinner or saint. I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere in-between. Still, I trust Him to get it right.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:10 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not mordant, but he was directly responding to the OP's reasoning for her thinking that you have nothing to lose by believing in Christ because of this specific verse:

She is indeed clearly saying that you should try to believe in order to avoid the chance that you will incur God's wrath.
Yeah, I guess you're right. We're so far into the thread now that I just assumed that Mordant was making a blanket statement about Christian doctrine.

Quote:
It is EXACTLY the way Christianity was presented in the church in which I was raised, but not those that I found later in adulthood. God is always watching what you do and you do not want to anger him, or he will get you for it. It is not the belief of every Christian, but it apparently is that of the OP, and that is to whom mordant was responding.
Wow, that is just so sad. I can't even conceive of going through life believing that way. IMO, that's pretty much opposite of how we should be seeing God.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:22 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
I define F.E.A.R as:
F : Father
E: everlasting
A: away and
R: removed

Old 05-02-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I define F.E.A.R as:
F : Father
E: everlasting
A: away and
R: removed
That's how I was able to let go. I knew, He'd never let that happen. In the sermon of Southern Cross By the prophets Crosby, Still and Nash I heard Him say His love was an anchor tied to me with a silver chain. He also told me I would survive being bested. It was something I needed to hear at the time. I'm not like that anymore.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:06 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's how I was able to let go. I knew, He'd never let that happen. In the sermon of Southern Cross By the prophets Crosby, Still and Nash I heard Him say His love was an anchor tied to me with a silver chain. He also told me I would survive being bested. It was something I needed to hear at the time. I'm not like that anymore.
Amen

Old 05-02-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Amen
Amen

Old 05-02-2022, 09:44 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Help satisfy my curiosity

I’m seeing more and more unbelievers on this forum, and wondering. If you are an unbeliever have you ever considered what will happen if you are wrong in your unbelief? I’d like to hear your thoughts on this. Personally, I made the choice many years ago to be a follower of Christ. If it turns out that I have been wrong, what have I got to lose?
Nothing.

I'm not sure where I'd classify myself, I can't be fully convinced either way. I'm sure, that makes me a defined "unbeliever", but a question I'd throw back at you is; if a good person dies, having done wonderful things in their life, enriched their community, been selfless, loving and giving; do you still want to worship a god who would throw them into the gates of hell all because they never believed he/she existed?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:00 AM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Maybe I watch too many episodes of the FBI files. .
You can never watch too many episodes of FBI Files!

Seriously, having Muslim coworkers who ran down those stairs right along with me and who came back to rebuild with the rest of us, and then working for Muslims after I retired, I urge everyone everyone not to judge anyone by what others have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity