Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2024, 01:23 PM

33,382 posts, read 26,686,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I was referring to pre-Flood times. Adam was first before the Chinese or any others languages.
Oldest or after the Flood ended was when the people migrated away from the Tower of Babel.
Adam, if he even existed, did not speak Hebrew. And there was no flood. You're speaking religious beliefs. I'm speaking reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 02:19 PM

14,996 posts, read 9,923,511 times
No one knows for sure, but if God spoke it ... surely it was the language of the Divine.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:30 PM

424 posts, read 95,657 times
Check out the documentaries called 'Patterns of Evidence'. According to one of the documentary (I believe its in the 1st one), Joseph was the founder of the written FORM of Hebrew language that they were speaking since the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterns_of_Evidence

Old 01-08-2024, 02:36 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,255,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
Some verses in the Bible can't be true

such as 2 Samuel 11:3-5

ESV
And David sent and inquired about the woman.
And one said, “Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam,
the wife of Uriah the Hittite?”

So David sent messengers and took her, and she came to him,
and he lay with her. (Now she had been purifying herself from her uncleanness.)
Then she returned to her house.

And the woman conceived,
and she sent and told David, “I am pregnant.”

This is not the attitude of the prophets

such thing doesn't come from a general good man
letalone from a prophet
Wasn't having multiple wives allowed then? If yes then he should have taken another wife to give him a son.
He was told his wife would give him a son but he didn't believe what he was told and after the son from the Hittite got pregnant he took the baby for himself and his wife to raise and ditched the mother when the bastard should have taken her as his second wife. But of course what started all this fighting we still see today is who owns what piece of land because the idiot went to a different tribe like out of their own race, sort of, and then comes the fighting of which son gets the land. He should have split his everything in detail between the two boys not give everything to the son from his wife.

A prophet is just a man claiming to know what God wants or hear God.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:53 PM

88,989 posts, read 85,515,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
No, Hebrew is not the first or oldest language.

https://www.oldest.org/culture/langu...20221%20BCE%29
Those are written languages, Mike. Again, as I stated upthread, the oldest spoken languages, as far as can be determined by linguists, are the click languages in Africa. This past year, I listened to The Story of Human Language, one of The Great Courses, written and read by John McWhorter (of whom I am a long-time fan going back to his book, The Power of Babel.

It's no error that my kid became a linguist. I was forever fascinated by the subject. In fact, before it was confirmed by Prof McWhorter that the click languages are the oldest (a theory upheld by the ancient DNA of the speakers), I wondered if that was the case. My mother taught my daughter to make click sounds in early infancy, which made me think that the clicks might have been an early form.of human language.

I recommend reading or listening to the course if you find the subject interesting. John McWhorter also has a linguistics podcast and is quite humorous and entertaining while imparting knowledge.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:58 PM

88,989 posts, read 85,515,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No one knows for sure, but if God spoke it ... surely it was the language of the Divine.
Then there is the saying in Contemplative Christianity that "The first language of God is silence."

Old 01-08-2024, 05:09 PM

424 posts, read 95,657 times
well, every old civilization claims that their language is the oldest. Tamil language, spoken in South India, is even older than Sanskrit, they say. Some say, it could be at least 4500 years old. well, only God knows which language was first and which will be last!

Old 01-08-2024, 05:48 PM

33,382 posts, read 26,686,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Those are written languages, Mike. Again, as I stated upthread, the oldest spoken languages, as far as can be determined by linguists, are the click languages in Africa. This past year, I listened to The Story of Human Language, one of The Great Courses, written and read by John McWhorter (of whom I am a long-time fan going back to his book, The Power of Babel.

It's no error that my kid became a linguist. I was forever fascinated by the subject. In fact, before it was confirmed by Prof McWhorter that the click languages are the oldest (a theory upheld by the ancient DNA of the speakers), I wondered if that was the case. My mother taught my daughter to make click sounds in early infancy, which made me think that the clicks might have been an early form.of human language.

I recommend reading or listening to the course if you find the subject interesting. John McWhorter also has a linguistics podcast and is quite humorous and entertaining while imparting knowledge.
Thanks, MQ. It could be an interesting subject. That makes me wonder whether there is such a thing as a strictly written language. Can a language exist without being spoken but only written?

It does make sense that the first and oldest, the most primitive languages would be click languages.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:58 PM

14,996 posts, read 9,923,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Then there is the saying in Contemplative Christianity that "The first language of God is silence."
Contemplative? or presumptive?

I leave these issues for theologians. It has zero impact on anyone's salvation, so an opinion is what were left with... and this is where we go astray and begin to judge.

If Christ is risen, nothing else matters. And if Christ is not risen-nothing else matters.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:08 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,213,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If Christ is risen, nothing else matters. And if Christ is not risen-nothing else matters.
Using the factoring out method, does it then follow that it doesn't matter if Christ is risen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity