Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2024, 09:14 PM

88,989 posts, read 85,515,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Thanks, MQ. It could be an interesting subject. That makes me wonder whether there is such a thing as a strictly written language. Can a language exist without being spoken but only written?

It does make sense that the first and oldest, the most primitive languages would be click languages.
Hmm. Your question just sparked a lively conversation with Linguist Daughter. Most languages are based on symbols for sounds or words or syllables, and it doesn't go the other way. There are about 6000 spoken languages on the planet, and only 200 of them have writing systems.

So the only thing she could think of were Con Langs, or constructed languages, like Klingon or Tolkien's languages that were first written, then spoken by fans of the fiction. There is a Con Lang called Blissymbols that was designed to be a universal written language, but it never caught on.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Contemplative? or presumptive?

I leave these issues for theologians. It has zero impact on anyone's salvation, so an opinion is what were left with... and this is where we go astray and begin to judge.

If Christ is risen, nothing else matters. And if Christ is not risen-nothing else matters.
No, the term Contemplative Christianity is used for practices such as Centering Prayer, a type of Christian meditation wherein one invites the presence of God then sits in silence, letting thoughts go, not praying with words, not requesting anything, just sitting in silence. Don't read anything into the statement "the first language of God is silence" that wasn't meant by it. Obviously, it's not meant to be taken literally. It's a form of prayer, and invitation, waiting for God. No big revelation is expected, you just do your centering prayer session, alone or with others, then go about your day. I am not sure where you see judgment in that. No one is saying that's the only right way to do things.

I guess it's not that difference from the Quaker practice of sitting in silence for an hour, focusing on the Inner Light, as they do in their First Day services.

I can see where it is a radical thought to those who come out of the Christian worship traditions of yelling "Praise the Lord!" or babbling supposedly "in tongues" and rolling around on the floor "catchin' the Holy Ghost" and whatnot, or anything else in between those two extremes.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:11 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,723,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
A prophet is just a man claiming to know what God wants or hear God.
the true prophet is supported by miracles .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 01:24 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,723,167 times
Genesis 16:15 ESV
And Hagar bore Abram a son,
and Abram called the name of his son,
whom Hagar bore, Ishmael.

in the above verse Abraham called the name of his son Ishmael

Ishmael was born before Isaac
that means Ishmael was the only son for Abraham

but here in this verse Isaac is only son for Abraham

Hebrews 11:17 ESV
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac,
and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son,

Old 01-09-2024, 07:13 AM

14,996 posts, read 9,923,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Using the factoring out method, does it then follow that it doesn't matter if Christ is risen?
See here the thing... and I say this with all due respect, if the "quote" doesn't resonate then there's no point of explaining that which you do not see or refuse to see.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, the term Contemplative Christianity is used for practices such as Centering Prayer, a type of Christian meditation wherein one invites the presence of God then sits in silence, letting thoughts go, not praying with words, not requesting anything, just sitting in silence. Don't read anything into the statement "the first language of God is silence" that wasn't meant by it. Obviously, it's not meant to be taken literally. It's a form of prayer, and invitation, waiting for God. No big revelation is expected, you just do your centering prayer session, alone or with others, then go about your day. I am not sure where you see judgment in that. No one is saying that's the only right way to do things.

I guess it's not that difference from the Quaker practice of sitting in silence for an hour, focusing on the Inner Light, as they do in their First Day services.

I can see where it is a radical thought to those who come out of the Christian worship traditions of yelling "Praise the Lord!" or babbling supposedly "in tongues" and rolling around on the floor "catchin' the Holy Ghost" and whatnot, or anything else in between those two extremes.
A good explanation, however... the dig at the end was necessary. Maybe unknowingly, but you just affirmed my point when I said
Quote:
and this is where we go astray and begin to judge.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:43 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,213,515 times
Quote:
See here the thing... and I say this with all due respect, if the "quote" doesn't resonate then there's no point of explaining that which you do not see or refuse to see.
Your condescension and contempt were so thickly veiled, I almost missed them

I get that logic and religion don't really mix well, but you're really not helping the cause by being this dismissive.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:10 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,117,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
the true prophet is supported by miracles .
So why didn't Muhammed do any?

Old 01-09-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Your condescension and contempt were so thickly veiled, I almost missed them

I get that logic and religion don't really mix well, but you're really not helping the cause by being this dismissive.
Well ..I think I nailed it and I saw you coming from a proverbial mile away. Dusting off my shoes.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
A good explanation, however... the dig at the end was necessary. Maybe unknowingly, but you just affirmed my point when I said
Ha, I definitely do judge that type of behavior, and I also know (and respect) some good people for whom that type of worship gets them where they want to go. I even went to a consecration of a Deaconess friend in a holy-roller-type church. The music was good!

I was always more of the quiet, go inward type.

I'll keep working on myself. I'm only 65. Maybe a few more years, I'll get that log-in-the-eye thinger down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity