Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 05:31 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Jesus of course is High Priest , and yes there are levels in His Kingdom because no other can be High Priest!
Yet WE have an altar, as Paul explains in Hebrews, from which we eat of the sacrifice made available to us FROM our High Priest, Jesus Christ.
IFFF HIS kingdom had NOT yet come, then what we eat of from this altar would still be merely just a symbol - a shadow of something better YET to come.
But has HIS kingdom not yet come, MissKate I ask you?
Is HIS sacrifice just a shadow or symbol and not sufficient enough for you to enjoin the banquet, dressed properly, that merely requires only your presence too?
Did Jesus leave something left yet undone that in His Kingdom His loyal subjects are fed mere shadows and symbols of something better yet greater to come??
I’m having trouble making sense of your post. You seem to be all over the place. I don’t see how it relates to the OP topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 05:45 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Hi Sparrow. How would you interpret the verses below, which I shared with you in my last post? I may not be able to get back to you tonight, but if I am unable, I pray you have a blessed one.
Kate

15. Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. 16 But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. (Hebrews 13:15-16)

And walk in love, just as Christ also loved us and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma. (Ephesians 5:2)
That's what I'm saying.... "sacrifice" does not make sense in this context.

However, the quote below does shed more light on it, for me, anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Paul is speaking to Jews and converted Pagans...both religions at that time made "sacrifices" of animals.
Sacrifice is used in context of the time at which it was written.

Why would people today proclaim these things as "sacrifices"? They shouldn't. It makes no sense.

The acts of praying, singing songs, walking in love, are not sacrifices. If they were, we would be giving up something. What are we giving up? Still looking for an answer. I just think that term shouldn't be used. It is nonsensical, in my opinion and just adds a layer of unnecessary confusion. That's all. Again, just my opinion.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:44 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Why would people today proclaim these things as "sacrifices"? They shouldn't. It makes no sense.

The acts of praying, singing songs, walking in love, are not sacrifices. If they were, we would be giving up something. What are we giving up? Still looking for an answer. I just think that term shouldn't be used. It is nonsensical, in my opinion and just adds a layer of unnecessary confusion. That's all. Again, just my opinion.
No they wouldn't. I see it as Paul telling them to give up their sacrifices of animals ...which is what happed with Christianity.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:48 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
I’m having trouble making sense of your post. You seem to be all over the place. I don’t see how it relates to the OP topic.
That's because you don't understand the priesthood and High Priest shown in the OT, incl Melcheziedek, so there's no way you can understand how it is fulfilled in the New.
It didn't become 'extinct' as you call it!
God showed the plan from the beginning - Genesis 14 w/Melcheziedek,
and Paul 'got-it' and wrote about it in Hebrews ch7-10.
It's all right there - in scripture!

Old 03-10-2024, 08:12 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
This prophesy could have only begun in the last 80 years.

Where is God getting Levites from?

Isaiah 66
20And they will bring all your brothers from all the nations as a gift to the LORD on horses and chariots and wagons, on mules and camels, to My holy mountain Jerusalem,” says the LORD, “just as the Israelites bring an offering in a clean vessel to the house of the LORD.”

21“And I will select some of them as priests and Levites,” says the LORD.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:17 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
Quote:
I agree with what you wrote about discipline and staying on the good path. Everything we do for the Lord is spiritual sacrifice.

The offering of ourselves in a spiritual sacrifice.

“Therefore I exhort you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice⁠—living, holy, and pleasing to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” (Romans 12:1)

Praise is considered a spiritual sacrifice in the Bible. So is doing good and sharing.

15. Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. 16 But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. (Hebrews 13:15-16)

Loving others is a spiritual sacrifice.

And walk in love, just as Christ also loved us and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma. (Ephesians 5:2)
I found this good article while surfing the web

So, what exactly does the phrase living sacrifice mean?

We know from other places in Scripture that it cannot refer to a sacrifice that covers or atones for sin. We are told in numerous places that all the sins of the saints have been atoned for by the blood of Jesus (Heb. 9:12; 2 Cor. 5:21; Rom. 3:24-25, 5:9). Therefore, there is nothing for us to “make up,” in a sense. In addition, Paul openly condemns the idea of works-based salvation (Gal. 3:10-11; Eph. 2:9-10).

One way to understand sacrifice in the New Testament is as a service or offering to God. We see this idea in Philippians 4:18 when Paul describes a gift he received from the Philippian church as “a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.” Paul is not saying that they literally made an offering to God in an Old Testament sense. Rather, by serving Paul and meeting his needs, the Philippians served the cause of God, which was “acceptable and pleasing” to the Lord.

Naturally, our next question may be, “How do I live my life as an offering or service to God?” As with all biblical commands, we should begin with the attitude of our hearts. Without the right motives, our good deeds are nothing more than filthy rags to God (Isaiah 64:6).

The Lord graciously gives us examples of how we ought to be motivated in his Apostles. The Apostle Paul, who wrote the command for believers to present themselves as living sacrifices, understood that his life did not belong to him. In his letter to the Galatians, Paul says this, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” In a spiritual sense, Paul’s old self and the life he lived for himself died with Christ. His life now is given to him by Jesus. Therefore, Paul lives every day through faith in the life-giving power of Jesus.

What does that kind of dependence and indebtedness do to a person? Paul tells us in Romans 1:1. He describes himself as a “servant of Christ Jesus…set apart for the gospel of God….” The Greek word translated servant more accurately means slave. Paul is not the only apostle to think of himself as a slave of Christ. Peter also in his second epistle introduces himself as Jesus Christ’s servant. Servants and slaves do not live for themselves but do whatever their master wishes. Though it may offend our modern sensibilities to think of ourselves and other believers as slaves of Christ, this is the right way of thinking. We have been bought with an immeasurable price: the blood of the Son of God himself. Through the shedding of his blood, we have been raised to new life. It is only right that we would live our lives in complete service and devotion to the One who saved us.

https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bibl...sacrifice.html

God bless

Old 03-11-2024, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
That's because you don't understand the priesthood and High Priest shown in the OT, incl Melcheziedek, so there's no way you can understand how it is fulfilled in the New.
It didn't become 'extinct' as you call it!
God showed the plan from the beginning - Genesis 14 w/Melcheziedek,
and Paul 'got-it' and wrote about it in Hebrews ch7-10.
It's all right there - in scripture!
Jesus’ priesthood was in the order of Melchizedek. The Levitical priesthood was not.

Jesus was the perfect and final sacrifice, and as a result, we have no need of animal sacrifices or the Levitical priesthood. The Levitical priesthood ended at the cross.

Jesus is our ONE and only mediator now. We have direct access to God through Jesus, our ONE and only high priest.

All Christians are priests. Each has a role within the body of Christ. All offer spiritual sacrifices to God.

Have a blessed day,

Kate

Old 03-11-2024, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I found this good article while surfing the web

So, what exactly does the phrase living sacrifice mean?

We know from other places in Scripture that it cannot refer to a sacrifice that covers or atones for sin. We are told in numerous places that all the sins of the saints have been atoned for by the blood of Jesus (Heb. 9:12; 2 Cor. 5:21; Rom. 3:24-25, 5:9). Therefore, there is nothing for us to “make up,” in a sense. In addition, Paul openly condemns the idea of works-based salvation (Gal. 3:10-11; Eph. 2:9-10).

One way to understand sacrifice in the New Testament is as a service or offering to God. We see this idea in Philippians 4:18 when Paul describes a gift he received from the Philippian church as “a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.” Paul is not saying that they literally made an offering to God in an Old Testament sense. Rather, by serving Paul and meeting his needs, the Philippians served the cause of God, which was “acceptable and pleasing” to the Lord.

Naturally, our next question may be, “How do I live my life as an offering or service to God?” As with all biblical commands, we should begin with the attitude of our hearts. Without the right motives, our good deeds are nothing more than filthy rags to God (Isaiah 64:6).

The Lord graciously gives us examples of how we ought to be motivated in his Apostles. The Apostle Paul, who wrote the command for believers to present themselves as living sacrifices, understood that his life did not belong to him. In his letter to the Galatians, Paul says this, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” In a spiritual sense, Paul’s old self and the life he lived for himself died with Christ. His life now is given to him by Jesus. Therefore, Paul lives every day through faith in the life-giving power of Jesus.

What does that kind of dependence and indebtedness do to a person? Paul tells us in Romans 1:1. He describes himself as a “servant of Christ Jesus…set apart for the gospel of God….” The Greek word translated servant more accurately means slave. Paul is not the only apostle to think of himself as a slave of Christ. Peter also in his second epistle introduces himself as Jesus Christ’s servant. Servants and slaves do not live for themselves but do whatever their master wishes. Though it may offend our modern sensibilities to think of ourselves and other believers as slaves of Christ, this is the right way of thinking. We have been bought with an immeasurable price: the blood of the Son of God himself. Through the shedding of his blood, we have been raised to new life. It is only right that we would live our lives in complete service and devotion to the One who saved us.

https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bibl...sacrifice.html

God bless
Very good article. Thanks for sharing, Shana.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

I understand why you ask, “What are you giving up?”

When we think about Jesus dying on the cross, we think of Him sacrificing, offering or giving up His life for us.

So what do we give up? What sacrifice do we offer up to God? SELF! Everything we are. Everything we have. Our hopes and dreams. Our time. Our money. And even our lives. The giving of self is the greatest sacrifice we can make.

God wants our praise, our thanks, our prayers, our love. He wants us to give up self. He wants our all! And when we give these things to God, He is pleased. We are letting Him know that He is first in our lives, and that we trust Him completely. We are glorifying Him when we do these things.

I hope Romans 12:1 will help you to understand how our bodies can be a living sacrifice.

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.” (Romans 12:1)

Have a blessed day, Sparrow!

Kate

Last edited by MissKate12; 03-11-2024 at 05:45 AM..

Old 03-11-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No they wouldn't. I see it as Paul telling them to give up their sacrifices of animals ...which is what happed with Christianity.
Actually what Paul is telling them is to give up self. That’s what Christianity is all about. Put God first in your life. Put others ahead of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity