Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

Why do you belive in the spiritual?

I'll share my story. My parents were Jewish agnostics, who drifted to flat out atheism by the time I was 12. I really didn't label myself as anything, but truthfully, I didn't even wonder if there was, or even thought about God.

At age 20 my grandmother invited me to attend her "church". It was a spiritualist church. To make a long story short after four visits, I saw and experienced things that convinced me that the spiritual realm was real. One example was the readings. The reverand was blindfolded. She was given a pile of sealed envelopes with a question inside and one's initials on the envelope. I had brought a friend to visit with me. The reverand picked up his envelope (left sealed) and called out his full name (had no way of knowing it as my friend just came in and sat down-first time visit) answered his question and talked about his recently deceased uncle. My freind and I were shocked and a bit freaked out.

We never returned, but the whole experience shattered my agnostic mindset and so my spiritual journey began. Many stops along the way and four years later I became a Christian. I also should say that I explored many other paths. The occultic ones were a bit scary. Buddhism did nothing for me. Just being a theistic Jew was OK, but something was missing-temple was nice tho.
How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,952 times
Thanks for sharing! Praise God that you are walking in the truth.

Demon possession is very real and I've read and heard about people's experiences being able to open doors just by a thought in their mind, pushing people away without touching them, etc... One of my closest friends went to Africa on a mission's trip and her experience was very scary. She and the other people from the church couldn't sleep because they felt pure evil throughout the night. They were living among the occult and there was a witch doctor in the village. She saw an exorcism.

I've been miraculously healed. Someone with the gift of prophecy told me about how God was going to be using me and none of it made any sense until about a year or two after. My parent's had been trying to get pregnant for 3 years and my mother went to a healing and praying service at her church. A missionary came and prayed over her body. She felt a burning sensation in her ovaries. A while later, my mom was reading the Bible and God told her to rejoice because she was pregnant! She was pregnant with me. There are so many reasons I could go on and on, but I'll stop now

Old 09-16-2010, 12:23 PM

308 posts, read 427,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I'll share my story. My parents were Jewish agnostics, who drifted to flat out atheism by the time I was 12. I really didn't label myself as anything, but truthfully, I didn't even wonder if there was, or even thought about God.

At age 20 my grandmother invited me to attend her "church". It was a spiritualist church. To make a long story short after four visits, I saw and experienced things that convinced me that the spiritual realm was real. One example was the readings. The reverand was blindfolded. She was given a pile of sealed envelopes with a question inside and one's initials on the envelope. I had brought a friend to visit with me. The reverand picked up his envelope (left sealed) and called out his full name (had no way of knowing it as my friend just came in and sat down-first time visit) answered his question and talked about his recently deceased uncle. My freind and I were shocked and a bit freaked out.

We never returned, but the whole experience shattered my agnostic mindset and so my spiritual journey began. Many stops along the way and four years later I became a Christian. I also should say that I explored many other paths. The occultic ones were a bit scary. Buddhism did nothing for me. Just being a theistic Jew was OK, but something was missing-temple was nice tho.
How about you?

I'd be willing to bet you could see a similar trick at any good Vegas magician act.

I mean, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but what you described sounds like a cross between a magician and a "psychic" like Jon Edwards.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:03 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Thanks for sharing! Praise God that you are walking in the truth.

Demon possession is very real and I've read and heard about people's experiences being able to open doors just by a thought in their mind, pushing people away without touching them, etc... One of my closest friends went to Africa on a mission's trip and her experience was very scary. She and the other people from the church couldn't sleep because they felt pure evil throughout the night. They were living among the occult and there was a witch doctor in the village. She saw an exorcism.

I've been miraculously healed. Someone with the gift of prophecy told me about how God was going to be using me and none of it made any sense until about a year or two after. My parent's had been trying to get pregnant for 3 years and my mother went to a healing and praying service at her church. A missionary came and prayed over her body. She felt a burning sensation in her ovaries. A while later, my mom was reading the Bible and God told her to rejoice because she was pregnant! She was pregnant with me. There are so many reasons I could go on and on, but I'll stop now
That is very interesting and God must have a real purpose for you here on this Earth 1) to heal your Mom so that she could have you and 2) to heal you

Great story and thanks for sharing!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,696 times
Quote:

How about you?
Well, thank you for sharing your story. But sadly someone will probably attack you and even call you crazy for the story that you shared. Yes, God is real and the spiritual realm is very real, even though people who are blind will try to convince you other wise due to them being deceived and blind. Thank you for sharing your story.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well, thank you for sharing your story. But sadly someone will probably attack you and even call you crazy for the story that you shared. Yes, God is real and the spiritual realm is very real, even though people who are blind will try to convince you other wise due to them being deceived and blind. Thank you for sharing your story.
Interesting.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Thank you for you kind and observent post. I know from experience that if God Himself slapped most of these atheists in the face they would still rationalize the experience away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
I'd be willing to bet you could see a similar trick at any good Vegas magician act.

I mean, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but what you described sounds like a cross between a magician and a "psychic" like Jon Edwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Interesting.
No proof will ever be good enough. Even a night in the National Hotel (Jamestown CA) would work. Very haunted BTW.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,521 times
Quote:
Thank you for you kind and observent post. I know from experience that if God Himself slapped most of these atheists in the face they would still rationalize the experience away.

No proof will ever be good enough. Even a night in the National Hotel (Jamestown CA) would work. Very haunted BTW.
I think this is true. I was discussing this very subject last weekend with an acquaintance who noted that there are many visionaries who claim that the veil is rapidly thinning. If this is truly the case, it will be interesting to see how these folks who deny the metaphysical (supernatural and preternatural) "rationalize" away some of what is going to be coming down the pike quite soon.

Either way, since "man is mortal", we will each of us find out the truth soon enough won't we?

BTW - thanks for your testimony. I loved it.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:

How about you?
I don't usually come on this thread but I was intriqued by the title.

I was hoping to read some really good rational and evidence - based reason why someone could no longer adhere to agnosticism/atheism.

What do we get. Someone conned into Faith through a cheap stage trick. Sorry, but that is to me just symptomatic of the whole big con - trick that theism is.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
I know from experience that if God Himself slapped most of these atheists in the face they would still rationalize the experience away.
I know from experience that if aliens came down and gave proof they they created the Earth and that humans were just a biology experiment most theists would rely on 'faith' to dismiss the evidence. So how do we differ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity