Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,092,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
I was just laughing at the "crazed maniac" thing.

I've studied Revelation for years and I know I'll never fully grasp it.

You don't have to lure me with a rep, but I'll see what I can come up with.
I'm sure in the mean time, you'll get some good answers.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,660,240 times
BT;

Revelation cannot be summed up in one simple answer or post. It takes years of study. I tried to share a study on Revelation a while back, but it turned into a preterist free-for-all. If you are sincere about it, there are many, many good in-depth studies available from most every evangelical known.

A couple that come to mind........

Perry Stone (amazing gift to bring it all together, and not just Revelation)
John Hagee
David Reagan

Take LT with you and get involved in a Bible study!!! Revelation is really fascinating, and the more you learn, the more you want to know.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM

11,968 posts, read 25,574,084 times
It couldn't apply today because John say "both slave and free" running - unless slavery makes a comeback.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:17 PM

4,212 posts, read 5,854,023 times
I believe it applies to today, but then again I like the endtimes scriptures. The biggest thing we all must know is that anything we come up with conscerning Revelations is that everything we think we know is merely theory.

Many believe there will be a rapture while many do not. Many believe that certain signs have been fulfilled while other believe they have all been fulfilled.

Me, I am still searching and believe there are alot of good theories out there.

What we must remember is that there are plenty of connected scriptures throughout the Bible that support and clarify Revelation.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM

20,741 posts, read 19,448,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Revelations..

I don't really "get it".

I've done minor research on the book and to me it just doesn't jive with me.

I tend to take the Thomas Jefferson approach to the Book of Revelations (i.e.. most likely the dreams of a crazed maniac).

What am I missing? Why should I believe it?
Hi bigthirsty,

Quite simply it is an apocalyptic poetic description of the destruction of Judea in 66-70 AD. It lasted 3 and 1/2 years, involved the known world(Roman) and the tribes of the earth(actually land) were brutally crushed. The Beast was Rome. The ***** was Jerusalem and I can logically prove this if you wish.

For example the ***** was a depiction of the corrupt Judean priesthood in Jerusalem. This is just some of the evidence. There is plenty more.

Exodus 28
5 “They shall take the gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and the fine linen, 6 and they shall make the ephod of gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen, artistically worked. 7 It shall have two shoulder straps joined at its two edges, and so it shall be joined together. 8 And the intricately woven band of the ephod, which is on it, shall be of the same workmanship, made of gold, blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen.

9 “Then you shall take two onyx stones and engrave on them the names of the sons of Israel: 10 six of their names on one stone and six names on the other stone, in order of their birth. 11 With the work of an engraver in stone, like the engravings of a signet, you shall engrave the two stones with the names of the sons of Israel. You shall set them in settings of gold. 12 And you shall put the two stones on the shoulders of the ephod as memorial stones for the sons of Israel. So Aaron shall bear their names before the LORD on his two shoulders as a memorial. 13 You shall also make settings of gold, 14 and you shall make two chains of pure gold like braided cords, and fasten the braided chains to the settings.
Revelation 17
4 The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the filthiness of her fornication.[
Exodus 28
die.
36 “You shall also make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it, like the engraving of a signet:

HOLINESS TO THE LORD.
37 And you shall put it on a blue cord, that it may be on the turban; it shall be on the front of the turban. 38 So it shall be on Aaron’s forehead, that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things which the children of Israel hallow in all their holy gifts; and it shall always be on his forehead, that they may be accepted before the LORD.
Revelation 17
5 And on her forehead a name was written:

MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
You can see my view of Revelation 16 and the bowl judgments here

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6435518-post180.html

Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwowl View Post
Bigthirsty, one might be quite willing to offer you a glass of water to drink, but even before that you tend to say you're not really thirsty.
leave the sarcasm to the professionals (i.e. me)

thanks.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
BT;

Revelation cannot be summed up in one simple answer or post. It takes years of study. I tried to share a study on Revelation a while back, but it turned into a preterist free-for-all. If you are sincere about it, there are many, many good in-depth studies available from most every evangelical known.

A couple that come to mind........

Perry Stone (amazing gift to bring it all together, and not just Revelation)
John Hagee
David Reagan

Take LT with you and get involved in a Bible study!!! Revelation is really fascinating, and the more you learn, the more you want to know.
Thanks, I appreciate the insight. I've taken a class on it.

It just seems to me so different than everything else in the NT and thus doesn't fit in for me.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,174,739 times
I had no idea until recently that people think that everything in Revelations has already happened. I'm wondering...if everything has already happened, then surely Jesus came back? Why don't we hear of that?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:31 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,461,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Revelations..

I don't really "get it".

I've done minor research on the book and to me it just doesn't jive with me.

I tend to take the Thomas Jefferson approach to the Book of Revelations (i.e.. most likely the dreams of a crazed maniac).

What am I missing? Why should I believe it?
The other chapters. Do you believe it "ALL"?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,363,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I had no idea until recently that people think that everything in Revelations has already happened. I'm wondering...if everything has already happened, then surely Jesus came back? Why don't we hear of that?
I don't think people believe everything in Revelation has happened, but that everything except His return has happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity