Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times

Advertisements

i didnt write once a week....I wrote every week

If I would've wrote every day of the week then that would be wrong as they dont celebrate it on Good Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Actually, you are wrong. In the Catholic Church, Mass is said every day (yes, I said EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK) EXCEPT Good Friday. During every Mass, the Liturgy of the Eucharist is included. So when you said we only celebrate communion once a week, you are completely wrong. Yes, some people only go to Mass once a week, but as I said, it's not just a once a week thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM

396 posts, read 838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
i didnt write once a week....I wrote every week

If I would've wrote every day of the week then that would be wrong as they dont celebrate it on Good Friday.
You were still wrong in what you said. I just corrected you. I'm sorry you dont' like to be corrected by a Catholic.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 AM

i didnt know you were a catholic....but again...you wrote that i wrote 'once per week', and i didnt write that.

i guess catholics like being wrong when they're trying to prove someone else wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
You were still wrong in what you said. I just corrected you. I'm sorry you dont' like to be corrected by a Catholic.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
"what did Jesus eat when the disciples came back to visit Him when He was at the well, and He said He already ate?"

Maybe he had rack of ram or whatever was left over.

"I have been told by MANY...actually maybe every Catholic that I know that the Bible is "just a book written by men". That it is not credible. So my impression that the Catholic Church is not biblical comes from Catholics. My MIL, who teaches at a Catholic school has told me on a couple of occassions that it isn't until recently that the Catholic Church encouraged members to read the Bible! In discussions, I will pull out the Bible to make a scriptural point and since it's not a credible source to them...they brush it aside."

So why was I taught "Bible History" back in the 50's when I was in elementary school?

There are too many Catholics who don't take the time to know what the church teaches. Take Nancy Pelosi for instance, she openly stated that the RC church has not decided when "life begins" so she is for abortion. Biden feels the same way. The RC church has always said that life begins at conception! Those two and many others have no right to tell people what the church teaches when they don't even know themselves. I read in a catholic paper that Pelosi's bishop said he was going to have a little chat with Nancy over her beliefs. Those two and many others are an embarrassment to the Church.

If you want to know what the Church teaches, ask a theologian, not a cafeteria catholic.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Quote:
So why was I taught "Bible History" back in the 50's when I was in elementary school?
Nice to hear you had Bible history. My husband who attended Catholic School from k-8th also learned about the Bible...that it was written by men...that it was not credible...he had no faith in it as the word of God. Which makes no sense to me when supposedly it should be the central document of the church.
Quote:
There are too many Catholics who don't take the time to know what the church teaches. Take Nancy Pelosi for instance, she openly stated that the RC church has not decided when "life begins" so she is for abortion. Biden feels the same way. The RC church has always said that life begins at conception! Those two and many others have no right to tell people what the church teaches when they don't even know themselves. I read in a catholic paper that Pelosi's bishop said he was going to have a little chat with Nancy over her beliefs. Those two and many others are an embarrassment to the Church.

If you want to know what the Church teaches, ask a theologian, not a cafeteria catholic.
Maybe it's ok for Catholics to call other Catholics that, but I think my Catholic friends would take offense if I referred to them as that
My MIL will ask her Priest some of the things we talk about and he usually does not rely on the Bible either. Go figure...

Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 PM

322 posts, read 737,902 times
Quote:
Clearly Peter did mention it in the NT

28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell.

but it's to the contrary of what you wrote.
In other scriptures Paul had more to say about the practice of eating food by Christians. Certainly abstaining from blood was not a statement about the holy communion. Paul taught that if food was bought in the market place, ask no questions as to where it came from. If it was sacrificed to an Idol (or had any history with a sinful practice) it was ok to eat as long as one did not know where it came from. All food is given by GOD. Idols are nothing, so in reality can't really effect the meat. But the sin could occur if the one eating the food percieved the food as sinful.

In the scripture you give, the food restrictions were based on the fact of having a direct connection with pagan practices, which would cause the partaker to be aware of sin. This was not a restriction on food types, but a very strict commandment to have nothing to do with idolotry, which was connected with pagan practices involving animals.

I've stated no contradictions.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 PM

the scriptures provided were also taught in the OT which indicates that you can't eat food with blood because the blood was the life not because of idolatry

Either way it's been clarified what Jesus said about the words being SPIRIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
In other scriptures Paul had more to say about the practice of eating food by Christians. Certainly abstaining from blood was not a statement about the holy communion. Paul taught that if food was bought in the market place, ask no questions as to where it came from. If it was sacrificed to an Idol (or had any history with a sinful practice) it was ok to eat as long as one did not know where it came from. All food is given by GOD. Idols are nothing, so in reality can't really effect the meat. But the sin could occur if the one eating the food percieved the food as sinful.

In the scripture you give, the food restrictions were based on the fact of having a direct connection with pagan practices, which would cause the partaker to be aware of sin. This was not a restriction on food types, but a very strict commandment to have nothing to do with idolotry, which was connected with pagan practices involving animals.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM

322 posts, read 737,902 times
Quote:
the scriptures provided were also taught in the OT which indicates that you can't eat food with blood because the blood was the life not because of idolatry

Either way it's been clarified what Jesus said about the words being SPIRIT
Well if your understanding were the case, then we all better order our steaks well done!

But I know that there is nothing sinful about eating any food as long as it is not thought of as a sin by the idividual Christian.

If you have beliefs that certain foods are sinful, don't eat them! And I shouldn't try to persuade you to eat what you think is sinful. That would be a sin.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Default Paul speaking to the church at Corinth

those Corinthians...

1Co 6:12
“All things are lawful for me” – but not everything is beneficial. “All things are lawful for me” – but I will not be controlled by anything.

Does all things mean all things?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM

19 posts, read 98,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Read the writing of the early church fathers, I DARE you, and you will read the beliefs that I wrote to you. DNick
Dnick, Reading the writings of some of the early church Fathers, even if some of them agreed with your point of view, would NOT, in ANY way, prove that what some of them believed was actual TRUTH.
FYI, The early church father's have ALWAYS been divided on hundreds upon hundreds of scriptural interpretations, as the churches still are today! So, your "dare to "read the early church fathers" is quite pointless don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity