Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Baptism Required for Salvation?
Yes 29 31.87%
No 62 68.13%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 01:14 AM

45,677 posts, read 27,308,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I answered your question, but you did not answer mine. Here it is again.

If Jesus did not command immersion in water, why did Peter say the following? “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.(Acts 10:47-48)
Because the whole idea of the church was a new phenomenon, and he was still figuring it out the requirements. Ultimately, the water didn't matter as the family was baptized with the Holy Spirit, sent by God from heaven.

Note that when Peter went back and explained to the Jews what had happened in Acts 10, there was no reference to water baptism - other than mentioning Jesus' statement from Acts 1 - John baptized with water and Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Question for you..

In Acts 15 when the apostles were figuring out what should be required for new Gentile believers, how come water baptism was not included?

Old 12-10-2021, 04:56 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,453,047 times
Water baptism? NO.

Holy Spirit baptism? YES. Case in point is Acts 10, where God gave the Gentiles the Spirit prior to any application of water. It's by the Spirit that one is sealed (Eph 1:13-14, 2 Cor 1:21-22), so at that moment in time, eternal salvation became permanent and immutable for those who whom the Spirit was given. So whether the command to be baptized in water was followed or not is in no way a requirement for eternal salvation. The Spirit is given by faith (Gal 3:2, 3:14), not water. If any man does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His - Rom 8:9. Where Holy Spirit baptism does not occur, it is because there was never any saving faith. So this is not something man does. It's something God does when you simply believe. Hence why it's so simple: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:13 AM

9,901 posts, read 1,288,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Because the whole idea of the church was a new phenomenon, and he was still figuring it out the requirements. Ultimately, the water didn't matter as the family was baptized with the Holy Spirit, sent by God from heaven.

Note that when Peter went back and explained to the Jews what had happened in Acts 10, there was no reference to water baptism - other than mentioning Jesus' statement from Acts 1 - John baptized with water and Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Question for you..

In Acts 15 when the apostles were figuring out what should be required for new Gentile believers, how come water baptism was not included?
Because it was never an issue with the early Christians. Every single one of them was immersed in water. It was understood from Pentecost forward. Philip was sent by the Holy Spirit to the desert where he preached the gospel to the eunuch and immersed him in water. Ananias was sent to Saul (later called Paul and said to him,
“And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’ (Acts 22:16).

Do you think the Holy Spirit didn’t get the message that immersion in water was no longer needed? Was the Lord confused when He sent Ananias to Saul?

There is only ONE baptism, not two. So which is it?

Old 12-10-2021, 08:16 AM

9,901 posts, read 1,288,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Water baptism? NO.

Holy Spirit baptism? YES. Case in point is Acts 10, where God gave the Gentiles the Spirit prior to any application of water. It's by the Spirit that one is sealed (Eph 1:13-14, 2 Cor 1:21-22), so at that moment in time, eternal salvation became permanent and immutable for those who whom the Spirit was given. So whether the command to be baptized in water was followed or not is in no way a requirement for eternal salvation. The Spirit is given by faith (Gal 3:2, 3:14), not water. If any man does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His - Rom 8:9. Where Holy Spirit baptism does not occur, it is because there was never any saving faith. So this is not something man does. It's something God does when you simply believe. Hence why it's so simple: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.
There are ONLY two cases of baptism with the Holy Spirit, the first on Pentecost, the second at the house of Cornelius. Neither was for salvation. We are told the purpose of both in the Scriptures.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:09 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,177,521 times
Baptism WAS required during the earthly ministry. Not required now for sure.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:44 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
There are ONLY two cases of baptism with the Holy Spirit, the first on Pentecost, the second at the house of Cornelius. Neither was for salvation. We are told the purpose of both in the Scriptures.
That's simply not true. As Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 12:13 ''For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves of free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.''

It is by the baptism of the Holy Spirit that all church-age believers are placed into the body of Christ with reference to the church.

Got it? Not by one dunking into water, but by one Spirit.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:47 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
That's simply not true. As Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 12:13 ''For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves of free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.''

It is by the baptism of the Holy Spirit that all church-age believers are placed into the body of Christ with reference to the church.

Got it? Not by one dunking into water, but by one Spirit.
Yep, not 2 Baptisms

A water baptism is allowed because of the earthly and symbolism and representation but the reality is from above

Old 12-10-2021, 06:12 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yep, not 2 Baptisms

A water baptism is allowed because of the earthly and symbolism and representation but the reality is from above
If you're saying what I think you're saying, I agree. That being that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is a real baptism while water baptism is simply a ritual baptism which pictures what happens with the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:15 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
If you're saying what I think you're saying, I agree. That being that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is a real baptism while water baptism is simply a ritual baptism which pictures what happens with the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Yep, exactly

The figurative, the image, the picture, the mirror- it’s all the same sort of thing

Old 12-10-2021, 06:27 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,568,370 times
In the church that I was raised in, Evangelical Lutheran; the progressive branch of Lutheranism, Baptism is a sacrament and is thus required for all believers. It is not thought of as an "outward public display of accepting Christ". It is a means of conferring grace thru "water and Word" and by following the mandates of Jesus Christ.

I lean universalist, though. Many pastors, not only in the ELCA privately are universalists. I had my children baptized and would do that again.

To me, it doesn't matter when or how you are baptized - by sprinkling, emersion, pouring, dunking ones, or three times - I have heard it all. What does matter to me is that the baptism involves water and that the person is Baptised in the name of the Triune God. Our church accepts converts from any other Christian religion who were baptized with water, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I admit feeling some conflicts about thinking that people such as Adolph Hitler would ever be in God's presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity