Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much. Ya'll trying to make a brotha cry You all don't know how much this means to me. At the end of the day all I want to do is make the savior happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
MY parents are fundamentalists, and the pastor at their "megachurch" gave them a sermon on tithing and told them to make sure their 10% was "pre-tax". Is that Biblical or just an outrage? Of course their pastor needs more money to fund his legal team as he's under investigation by the IRS, drives a Hummer w/armed guard, and lives in a mansion.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
MY parents are fundamentalists, and the pastor at their "megachurch" gave them a sermon on tithing and told them to make sure their 10% was "pre-tax". Is that Biblical or just an outrage? Of course their pastor needs more money to fund his legal team as he's under investigation by the IRS, drives a Hummer w/armed guard, and lives in a mansion.
An outrage!!! Not only cuz of pre-tax, but to preach tithing at meaning 10%, period.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM

381 posts, read 798,948 times
tithing is this day and age is not only unbiblical, it is wrong. Robert Kelley has a book out and I urge to go on youtube. I ask you? what part of the law in deuteronomy do you want to leave t? is it goat's blood? animal sacirfice? the bible says grain , so please don't start changin the bible on me and say cash. NO it says grain. I ask, where do I park my pickup?

Jesus nailed the handwriting requirements of the law to a tree. In every one of Paul's letters he talks about grace and not works which is what your tithe is. to suggest you can pay a fixed amount and please God is assuming God makes deals with people. Isaiah said all your tithes are oily rags. you cannot add one nickel to what Jesus did at the cross and I think anyone of your peers that suggest the checks started coming the minute they tithed their 10 percent are in Joe Osteens, creflo dolllar's or T D Jakes world.

Friend, read Mark12:41. jesus condemned the pharisees for giving their tithe because they did it in observance of the law just like you want to.

My point: Iam not against giving. i am for spirit led, heart purposed sacrificial giving which is what jesus meant when he said "the widow gave more"

you see with Jesus, the young ruler thought he had complied but Jesus said, Nope, you still lack this one thing, go and sell everyhting and give it to the poor. and follow me."

Do you see now? don't let these wolves tell you you're not loved by God. Tihting when you can't financially is not only irresponsible, it is foolish and heresy. give the two minas if you feel you should, but you can't give god anything but praise because that is what he wants. Glory and Praise.

one last point . the you tube videos by ringo TV do a great job of showing how black preachers prey on the ignorant masses in the pews. they distort the word of God to line their walet and put a burden on the poor.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
lif you cut her spending her lawyer will throw you out in the street and when you are renting a room the church will hardly know you.
been there done that.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:18 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
nothing divides like discussions on Baptism and Tithing.

Here's what God says in Malachi
Mal 3:10
“Bring the entire tithe into the storehouse so that there may be food in my temple. Test me in this matter,†says the Lord who rules over all, “to see if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until there is no room for it all.

The only place where God says... I dare ya... go 'head and try me on this one. Has anyone ever tried this? I double dare ya... and from a spiritual perspective... give first fruits, give cheerfully and not under obligation.

"A man's heart is reveled in his check book".

Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Maybe y'all should put this in the "trust your bible thread" ! The bible states we are to tithe 10 percent. So, what does that say about those that don't? Are they sinners? Are they not following God word?

What does everyone think?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
I think God was with me at the library the other day. He wasn't looking up at me from a collection plate in a church building...He was just with me in a library.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Good day to all.

I've been really playing tug of war with God in regards to my personal life. I truly believe the Lord is directing me to get my house in order. I've been struggling with tithes and offering. I want to start tithing but in order to do so it really will throw me off financially. I really want to start believing and trusting the Lord to tithe regardless of my circumstances, but my wife is not on the same page. I want to be respectful of my wife, but I also want to do right. How do you go about trying to do God's will and also let the wife know that this is what we need to do? Has anybody been in this situation and overcame it? If so how?
What does God need your money for, Jayman? Think and pray about this..Tithing was done in the OT because the temple needed to be kept up..The priests in the temple also distributed the tithes of the land to the needy..
No need to pay for a building and the things within it now..We are the building, the temple today.
Yes God does love a cheerful giver.
Be happy giving food to the food bank, clothing to the thrift store, a meal to the beggar, your extra dollar to a charitable event, a helping hand to an elderly neighbor, a visit to a nursing home, etc, etc..Betcha that will add up to much more than 10%,and if you think about it I imagine you already do those things.If you donate money where you attend give what you desire to give, not what they say you HAVE to give
That's just my humble opinion, nothing more

Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Good day to all.

I've been really playing tug of war with God in regards to my personal life. I truly believe the Lord is directing me to get my house in order. I've been struggling with tithes and offering. I want to start tithing but in order to do so it really will throw me off financially. I really want to start believing and trusting the Lord to tithe regardless of my circumstances, but my wife is not on the same page. I want to be respectful of my wife, but I also want to do right. How do you go about trying to do God's will and also let the wife know that this is what we need to do? Has anybody been in this situation and overcame it? If so how?
Man, I feel for you because I went through the same IDENTICAL thing as a church member. If you and your wife are "born again" christians and do not agree on tithing, you and your wife will have major problems and major disagreements.

In my opioion, you have two options:

1. Leave your church and join another church that does not require its members to Tithe.

2. Swallow your pride and true feelings and tithe to make your wife happy. Yes, you'll be miserable but your wife will be delighted her husband is a "tither" and "following God's will".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity