Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,011,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Hey, Eusebius, I'd love to see your response to this article:

1 Tim. 4:10 and universalism | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

I'm guessing you'll just dismiss it outright and won't even read it...but oh well.
I don't know why you say such demeaning things. Have I ever just dismissed anything anyone has brought to my attention? I know Matt Slick and have dealt at length with him. He is a Calvinist who believe God has elected just so many to be saved and that's that. So his belief structure will not allow him to believe 1 Timothy 4:10.

I dealt with Matt Slick here:
Matthew 25:46 and Universalism on Matt.25:46

and here:
Mark 3:28-29 and Universalism on the "unforgivable sin"

So I am well aware of Matt's opinions.

But let us make some comments on what Matt says in his article you want me to read:

Matt states:
Quote:
Consider also Matt. 13:24-30 and the parable of the wheat and the tares. In it Jesus compares the world to a field. He later interprets it by stating that "the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one," (Matt. 13:38). But in Matt. 13:20-30 Jesus states that the tares are not dealt with right away because the wheat is there among them. "But he *said, ‘No; lest while you are gathering up the tares, you may root up the wheat with them. 30 ‘Allow both to grow together until the harvest," (NASB).
So, can it be said that the tares were saved from judgment? Yes...temporarily. The unbeliever enjoys a delayed judgment. But with the Christian, Jesus is especially their Savior and judgment is permanently removed from them.
The above by Christ was addressed to the Jews. Jesus Himself said it was about the kingdom (Matt.13:24). I agree with Matt that the tares will be judged. It is all about the kingdom He is going to set up on the earth for 1000 years. Prior to that setting up He, with his angels are going to come and root out of Israel ALL doing lawlessness and will cast them outside Israel into the figurative furnace of fire. Israel was in the furnace while in Egypt for 400+ years. The bible says so. But this judgment concerning the Jews does not preclude God's promise to later save all mankind as He says he surely will in 1 Timothy 2:4-6.

Matt Slick wrote:
Quote:
All are made saveable by Jesus' sacrifice
Another way in which Jesus is the savior of all men is that He has made all people saveable. Without Jesus' sacrifice, none could ever be saved. Since Jesus, who is the word made flesh (John 1:1,14), atoned for sin, all people are now redeemable. He is the Savior of all, but especially of believers. That is, all are now redeemable due to the sacrifice of Christ, but redemption is specifically applied to those who trust in Christ.
That is not what 1 Timothy 2:4-6 says. It does not say all mankind are saveable. It says "God WILL save all mankind . . . for . . . Christ gave Himself a ransom for all." According to the Old Testament any animal or human which is ransomed MUST be freed, no ifs ands or buts about it. God cannot break His own law. All mankind have been ransomed therefore . . . ?

Also, what Matt states above is not what 1 Timothy 4:10 is saying. "God is the Saviour of all mankind, especially of those that believe." God is all mankind's Saviour (not experiencially NOW as He is the believer). A Saviour is One Who saved, not just offers salvation. Just as God is the Saviour of the believer, thus is He the Saviour of all mankind. If He does not save all mankind neither will He save the believer. Since He will save the believer He will save all mankind.

Matt states:
Quote:
It is obvious that the term [Saviour] refers to God in the generic sense of being the Savior of all men since He brings salvation to all though it is not accepted by all. This is why it says that God (not Jesus) is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. How is it especially to believers? Simple. It is especially and specifically realized only by those who are believers.
I agree with Matt! The sacrifice of Christ and God's salvation is not accepted by all. That is why God is **especially** the Saviour of the believers. But just as God is the Saviour of the believers because He saves them, thus is He the Saviour of all mankind because He saves them due to Christ ransoming them.

Finally Matt said:
Quote:
Furthermore, only Jesus is the mediator between God and men (1 Tim. 2:5) and He mediates only between the saved and God. He does not mediate His atoning work for the unredeemed. His being Savior is generic for all, but specific for the saved.
Therefore, this verse does not necessitate that all will be redeemed.
In the literal of the Greek it is:
". . . and one Mediator of God and of humans." The subject of 1 Timothy 2:4 is "humans" in the plural, not "believers" or "redeemed." God is the saviour of all humans (Grk. ANTHROPOUS, plural humans). So the same all humans God will save are the same all humans Christ is the mediator between God and them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM

64,000 posts, read 40,305,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Obviously that is what scripture says. I follow scripture, nothing else. The exclusive club is called "heaven". In fact this is what it reads on the invitation

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."
Too many of your cohorts think the exclusive club is their brand of religion. Think of this correctly as the only entrance (gate) to God . . . not the only path to the gate. The admission ticket is your "state of mind" in "love of God and each other" . . . not how you got there.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,591,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Too many of your cohorts think the exclusive club is their brand of religion. Think of this correctly as the only entrance (gate) to God . . . not the only path to the gate. The admission ticket is your "state of mind" in "love of God and each other" . . . not how you got there.
Jesus made it exclusive not me, the difference in this club is that ANYBODY can join my friend. I didn't create the club, I had to join as well. Read scripture.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Jesus made it exclusive not me, the difference in this club is that ANYBODY can join my friend. I didn't create the club, I had to join as well. Read scripture.
Not the Jesus I know, Fundy. He just collects the "admission tickets" at the door. You know I read the scripture . . . I just read it maturely for its SPIRITUAL content (not as the literal carnal milk presented to our primitive ancestors who were only motivated by fear of the dominant Alpha presence).

Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,591,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticphd View Post
not the jesus i know, fundy. He just collects the "admission tickets" at the door. You know i read the scripture . . . I just read it maturely for its spiritual content (not as the literal carnal milk presented to our primitive ancestors who were only motivated by fear of the dominant alpha presence).
You hit the nail on the head, the Jesus YOU know.......collects the tickets????....ok???????

Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head, the Jesus YOU know.......collects the tickets????....ok???????
Come on, literalist . . . thinking really doesn't hurt. If your spirit doesn't resonate with Jesus's in "love of God and each other" . . . you don't get in, period. What would you call that?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,732,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Along these same lines, I was reading the other day a passage in which God speaks of Heaven not as a destination, but rather as a state of mind.

There is no place to go. We simply are aware we are in what we call "Heaven" or we are not. Once aware, we simply move closer to that source of love at the root of all existence.

It's rather beautiful, though I'm sure I will be attacked for suggesting God exists in a realm of beauty and love. God just can't be that perfect for some. He must be jealous and angry and judgmental. Very odd.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,011,490 times
My thread is getting hijacked.

Let's get it back to its original intent.

If Jesus is your Lord, why do you not do what He tells you to do?

He specifically tells you this:

" Faithful is the saying and worthy of all welcome (10) (for for this are we toiling and being reproached), that we rely on the living God, Who is the Saviour of all mankind, (11) especially of believers. These things be charging and teaching." (1Tim. 4:9-11)

When are you going to start teaching others these things and be obedient to your Lord?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,732,727 times
Your thread is not getting hijacked. Look at your question.

If Jesus is your Lord, why do you not do what He tells you to do?

I postulate that Heaven may be a state of mind rather than a destination. If we are capable of elevating our state of mind to this "heaven" rather than following rules to gain access to a place called "heaven", then we are doing precisely what Jesus tells us to do.

Perhaps you are assuming that Christ still speaks primarily through the Bible, so therefore you do not agree with my response because it bypasses the Bible as an absolute, literal authority. But it is a response to your question, and a valid one based on my personal experience with Christ.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,909,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
When are you going to start teaching others these things and be obedient to your Lord?
As already stated here, what you teach is different than what Jesus taught us.

Jesus(my Lord) taught that only a few (relatively) would be saved.

Whoever your lord is that's telling you otherwise, is teaching you something anti-to what Jesus the Christ teaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity