Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM

14,911 posts, read 17,219,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jesus(my Lord) taught that only a few (relatively) would be saved.
Few will be saved in this age, Alpha. There will come a time when all will be subjected to our Lord so that God may be all in all. (1 Corinthians 15) Jesus our Lord has also said that the ruler of this world has been cast out and that if He was lifted up from the earth, He would draw all men to Himself. (John 12) The apostle Paul of our Lord taught that it was God's good pleasure to reconcile all to Himself. (Colossians 1) Jesus is Lord of all. (Philippians 2) God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-01-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 PM

702 posts, read 1,007,889 times
Some of you need to realize too, that if you obey Jesus and go into all the world and preach the "Good News" to every creature, then He's made you a liar. Even worse, because you know ahead of time (as one of you has just conversely said) most are going to be ceaselessly tortured for ever, you will be intentionally lying to them. Unless, Jesus knows something you say you don't believe.

I notice how so many do not say the actual words of Scripture to express what they believe. If you would confine yourselves to the actual words God the Holy Spirit chose to make His revelation known you'll be surprised (as I have) at what is and is not written.

P.S. Don't be so silly as to say ceaseless torture for ever is good. God hates those who say good is evil and evil is good. If it wasn't an evil, but good, why whould you use it as something to be avoided?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM

283 posts, read 410,051 times
Born once die twice, born twice die once.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 PM

Folks John 3:1-21 from the mouth of Jesus 1Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."

3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.[a]"
4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[c] must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
9"How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.
10"You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.[d] 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.[e] 16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.[g] 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." see also Luke 16:19-31.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM

14,911 posts, read 17,219,900 times
Hi, here is the Young's Literal

John 3

1And there was a man of the Pharisees, Nicodemus his name, a ruler of the Jews,
2this one came unto him by night, and said to him, `Rabbi, we have known that from God thou hast come -- a teacher, for no one these signs is able to do that thou dost, if God may not be with him.'
3Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;'
4Nicodemus saith unto him, `How is a man able to be born, being old? is he able into the womb of his mother a second time to enter, and to be born?'
5Jesus answered, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born of water, and the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the reign of God;
6that which hath been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which hath been born of the Spirit is spirit.
7`Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
8the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.'
9Nicodemus answered and said to him, `How are these things able to happen?'
10Jesus answered and said to him, `Thou art the teacher of Israel -- and these things thou dost not know!
11`Verily, verily, I say to thee -- What we have known we speak, and what we have seen we testify, and our testimony ye do not receive;
12if the earthly things I said to you, and ye do not believe, how, if I shall say to you the heavenly things, will ye believe?
13and no one hath gone up to the heaven, except he who out of the heaven came down -- the Son of Man who is in the heaven.
14`And as Moses did lift up the serpent in the wilderness, so it behoveth the Son of Man to be lifted up,
15that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during,
16for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.
17For God did not send His Son to the world that he may judge the world, but that the world may be saved through him;
18he who is believing in him is not judged, but he who is not believing hath been judged already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19`And this is the judgment, that the light hath come to the world, and men did love the darkness rather than the light, for their works were evil;
20for every one who is doing wicked things hateth the light, and doth not come unto the light, that his works may not be detected; 21but he who is doing the truth doth come to the light, that his works may be manifested, that in God they are having been wrought.'

God bless.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Okay great, thank you?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 PM

606 posts, read 1,982,267 times
Default A Moot Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Alpha, do you honestly think the apostle Paul never read John 1:10-13?
Eusebius, It is highly unlikely that the Apostle Paul ever read 1 John, or any other book of the Christian Bible outside of his own correspondence with the churches. John 1 was originally a sermon, not a letter. It was probably preached during the first quarter of the first century, but it is not cited or quoted from until 117 AD in a letter from Polycarp to the church in Phillipi. The real Eusebius tells us this in his work, Church History. (Have you read it?)

Paul died about AD 60 - 62. The likelyhood of him reading this sermon before his death is remote at best.

Blessings,
Tracey

Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM

702 posts, read 1,007,889 times
Confusion often grows out of using terminology like "get saved" for an experience related to conversion. Many claim another experience a little later and turn away from going on with God. The phrase, "born again experience" isn't in the Bible. I believe we can have many experiences with God, including when He initiates us into His Spirit and fills us with His Spirit. My salvation is not based on what God has done in me; but, what God has done in Christ. That can never be undone and is a sure foundation for building my life as a temple for the presence of God. Jesus is Himself called "Salvation." I am not Jesus.

The assumption often accompanying this idea of conversion experience as salvation is that if it doesn't happen before we die, then we are not saved. This is man's lying tradition and is not anywhere in the Bible. All you need do is find one verse that says otherwise to prove me wrong. I'll be waiting...

Old 05-02-2009, 04:50 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,902,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Few will be saved in this age, Alpha.
That's what Shana says, I've already shown you what my Jesus said.

Now, who would you advise me to listen to?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Your thread is not getting hijacked. Look at your question.

If Jesus is your Lord, why do you not do what He tells you to do?

I postulate that Heaven may be a state of mind rather than a destination. If we are capable of elevating our state of mind to this "heaven" rather than following rules to gain access to a place called "heaven", then we are doing precisely what Jesus tells us to do.

Perhaps you are assuming that Christ still speaks primarily through the Bible, so therefore you do not agree with my response because it bypasses the Bible as an absolute, literal authority. But it is a response to your question, and a valid one based on my personal experience with Christ.
Dear Bluefly,
The question starting this entire thread is: "If Jesus is your Lord why do you not do what He tells you to do." That topic is directly related to 1 Timothy 4:11 where we are told to charge and teach that God is the Saviour of all mankind and that God will save all mankind because Christ ransomed all mankind (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11).

Jesus, outside of the Bible, would not instruct you or anyone to charge and teach that God will not save all mankind and that God is not the Saviour of all mankind.

Let me ask you directly: Are you being obedient to the Lord in telling people that God will save all mankind and is all mankind's Saviour?

Eusebius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity