Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, Fundamentalist, eonian is the word. I shared the definition for it. God bless.
we don't mix the ancient greek with english in the bible, so what english word is best used to describe anionion when pertaining to the bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
we don't mix the ancient greek with english in the bible, so what english word is best used to describe anionion when pertaining to the bible?
Eonian is an english word. It is the adjective for eon. Aion (Greek) is eon (English) or age (English). I don't think that the English word, age, has an adjective. God bless.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,345,230 times
Quote:
Hi, Fundamentalist, eonian is the word. I shared the definition for it. God bless.
Indeed you did ShanaB! I have been exercised for a couple of years now considering exceeding an aionios weight of glory excessively. Aionios is one of those glorious words in the Sacred Secrets that reaches beyond time into excessively or caliber of life. "This is aionios zoe, that we may know You....

Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Eonian is an english word. It is the adjective for eon. Aion (Greek) is eon (English) or age. God bless.
I looked it up Eonian definition | Dictionary.com it said, it means eternal; everlasting.

This is the same interpretation game JW's play when using the word "worship" "proskuneo" to "obeisance".

I have read all your responses and I thank you for taking part but I have seen nothing to prove that us being with God is eternal when the same term is used for both? My conclusion is us being with the Lord is NOT eternal.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,345,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I looked it up Eonian definition | Dictionary.com it said, it means eternal; everlasting.

I have read all your responses and I thank you for taking part but I have seen nothing to prove that us being with God is eternal when the same term is used for both? My conclusion is us being with the Lord is NOT eternal.
Fundy: Please disclose to us how aionios can be exceeded, or if you prefer, what "before aionios (eternal) began" means?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:12 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Fundamentalist,

Ages have a beginning and they have an end. The scriptures refer to past ages, the present age, and ages to come. They cannot be eternal if they have a beginning and an end.

There was "a secret concealed from the aions" (ages/eons) (past) (Eph.3:9)
There was "the preparation of the aions"(ages/eons) (past) (Heb.11:3)
There is "the present wicked aion" (age/eon)(present) (Gal.1:4)
There is "the conclusion of the current aion" (age/eon) (present) (Matt 28:20)
There will be "the coming aion" (age/eon)(future) (Luke 18:30)
There will be "the oncoming aions" (ages/eon)(future) (Eph.2:7)

Eternity has no beginning and no end. If aion (eon) means eternity, there would be

a secret concealed from the eternities,
a preparation of the eternities,
the present wicked eternity,
the conclusion of the current eternity,
the coming eternity!
the oncoming eternities
(Correct tranlsation is important)

Aionios means of or relating to an age or the ages. It is the adjective of aion. Therefore, God who created the ages is called the aionion or eonian God in some translations, which means that He is the God of the ages. He is working out His plan for the creation during the ages. God transcends the ages, yet He is working, manifesting, , operating as this specifically relates to the ages. His glory, His righteousness, His kingdom, His wisdom are clearly manifested through the ages, during these periods of time in which He is working out His purpose for the creation. When the ages have run their course, when they have ended, God of the ages, who transcends the ages, will be all in all. Aionios life and aionios correction are life and correction which are related to the ages. Aionios life refers to the type of or quality of life that believers have during this age and in the age to come. It is the life of knowing God.

Different words are used for what we will have when we are raised by the Lord.

1 Cor. xv:51-54, "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, (aphthartoi,) and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, (aphtharsian,) and this mortal must put on immortality (athanasian). So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, (aphtharsian,) and this mortal shall have put on immortality, (athanasian,) then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory." Rom. ii:7, "To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, (aphtharsia,) eternal life." (aionios) 1 Cor. xv:42, "So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption (aphtharsia)." See also verse 50, 2 Tim i:10, "Who brought life and immortality (aphtharsian) to light, through the gospel." 1 Tim. vi:16, "Who only hath immortality (athanasian)." On Aionios/Aion/ Tentmaker

God is the God of the aions (eons) those periods of time through which He is working out His purpose for the creation. God who created the aions, transcends the aions (eons). Believers have aionion life, the life of knowing God, however we will have immortality when we are raised to immortality by the Lord. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-15-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Fundamentalist,

Ages have a beginning and they have an end. The scriptures refer to past ages, the present age, and ages to come. They cannot be eternal if they have a beginning and an end.

There was "a secret concealed from the aions" (ages/eons) (past) (Eph.3:9)
There was "the preparation of the aions"(ages/eons) (past) (Heb.11:3)
There is "the present wicked aion" (age/eon)(present) (Gal.1:4)
There is "the conclusion of the current aion" (age/eon) (present) (Matt 28:20)
There will be "the coming aion" (age/eon)(future) (Luke 18:30)
There will be "the oncoming aions" (ages/eon)(future) (Eph.2:7)

Eternity has no beginning and no end. If aion (eon) means eternity, there would be

a secret concealed from the eternities,
a preparation of the eternities,
the present wicked eternity,
the conclusion of the current eternity,
the coming eternity!
the oncoming eternities
(Correct tranlsation is important)

Aionios means of or relating to an age or the ages. It is the adjective of aion. Therefore, God who created the ages is called the aionion or eonian God in some translations, which means that He is the God of the ages. He is working out His plan for the creation during the ages. God transcends the ages, yet He is working, manifesting, , operating as this specifically relates to the ages. His glory, His righteousness, His kingdom, His wisdom are clearly manifested through the ages, during these periods of time in which He is working out His purpose for the creation. When the ages have run their course, when they have ended, God of the ages, who transcends the ages, will be all in all. Aionios life and aionios correction are life and correction which are related to the ages. Aionios life refers to the type of or quality of life that believers have during this age and in the age to come. It is the life of knowing God.

God bless.
Why is it so difficult to about accepting this as being the correct translation . All it can be is defending a doctrine that is based on the mistranslation of the scripture .
To believe it means the foundation of church doctrine you hold onto crumbles.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 PM

895 posts, read 474,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Yes, you are correct that bible has translation issues, that is why I said to study the original bible. You must have missed what I wrote. I'm not studying what happend to Elijah in the english bible, I am studying it in the original language.

When you study the bible in the orginal text there is little room for error.

I'm tired of saying the same thing over and over. I'm studying the Hebrew and Greek text, not the english text unlike most who don't spend the time to study it. MOst if all only look up a few words.

I don't need to look at your link when I have the original bible in front of me.
Of course that means God Himself is reading directly to you correct? I saw your posts about trying to learn in Greek and Hebrew, but let's face it, you will never understand the two languages anywhere near as well as of those that used it daily two thousand plus years ago. You must rely upon the passed along understanding of these languages including idioms, style, and local current events of the day, many of which have long since been lost. No copy of the "original" documents exists that is within 1,000 years of when the orignals did actually exist.

So, YEAH, there is a lot of room for error, starting with ourselves and our wicked hearts. We all have, mostly, the same study resources available to us here in the 21st century. And God's spirit is equally able to teach all of us today as when Noah was cruising around in his God designed Yacht. So don't get too pompous on me and don't be so quick to assume no on else here studies Greek or Hebrew either.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM

895 posts, read 474,942 times
Quote:
I don't mean any harm but I can post sites rather than attend seminary and study the bible in hebrew and greek.
The forums rules state that instead of plagiarising anyones work we are required to post links, so again why are you trying so hard debase everyone else as though, going to seminary automatically makes you the absolute authority? Most of the apostles never attended seminary.....

And just because you read the bible in Hebrew and Greek, does NOT mean you are catching ever nuiance. Assuredly there is room for learning from others that have studied before you.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
I say and feel the same way when someone explains the bible that haven't read through the entire bible in Hebrew and Greek, and haven't studied the original bible.

Some may not know the language but atleast they can try to learn it or atleast listen to it being read.
Excuse me miss, do you speak Hebrew or Greek fluently? Are either of them your native language? Or even a second or third language that you are confident enough to say, bargain for another persons life while using it?

My father was a preacher all of my childhood, and i have been studying the bible always going back to the original Greek and Hebrew for over 15 years. I am very confident in my understanding of the scripture and just because you say that you have the original language manuscripts means absolutely squat to me. One of my best friends is Hebrew(orthodox) and we converse about the meanings of words and the uses of language found in tenakh very often. I have friends also who are students of the Greek language as well ... As if it were necessary now with the abundance of information at our fingertips if you only know how to search for it. Any decent biblical concordance or lexicon provides the original words of the earliest Greek and Hebraic manuscripts. I am left to wonder how long you have been involved in the deep study of scripture, because from my perspective you have many false facts and presumptions ... I can only imagine you derived them from either studying the bible without understanding the culture and ideological developments which were common in the time of Christ and or recently thereafter , or you derived them simply from some professor who has been indoctrinated with the same fables that the rest of contemporary Christianity is saturated with. Keep at it ... Hopefully you come to a knowledge of the truth. I rest assured that we all will in the end.

God bless you on your journey for truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity