Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:15 PM

173 posts, read 328,340 times

Advertisements

The Bible talks about not being unequally yoked, but what about relationships betweeen a Protestant/Christian and a Catholic? Would it constitute being unequally yoked? I mean, besides our common beliefs in Trinity, there appears to be absolutely nothing in common in everything else! But if a Catholic guy asks me out on a date, should I accept? Or should I flatly decline? Is there even a possiblity that we can come to a neutral agreement in our faiths if we decide to date and marry? Is it ok to "compromise" in some ways? Will God hold it against us? After all, we both believe in the Trinity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
The Bible talks about not being unequally yoked, but what about relationships betweeen a Protestant/Christian and a Catholic? Would it constitute being unequally yoked? I mean, besides our common beliefs in Trinity, there appears to be absolutely nothing in common in everything else! But if a Catholic guy asks me out on a date, should I accept? Or should I flatly decline? Is there even a possiblity that we can come to a neutral agreement in our faiths if we decide to date and marry? Is it ok to "compromise" in some ways? Will God hold it against us? After all, we both believe in the Trinity.

You should thank your lucky stars you met a decent Catholic person and marry them on the spot. Well, okay, in the nearest Catholic parish, but not before you attended Catholic marriage classes. Then let the holy spirit work in you and start RCIA classes in September and by the next Spring you will also be Catholic and you both can live happily ever after. Amen.

Now ain't you glad we got to talk.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:
Can Protestants marry Catholics?
I don't know. As far as I know, my dad had to convert to Catholicism to marry my mom.
But that was a long time ago. Maybe the rules have changed.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
The Bible talks about not being unequally yoked, but what about relationships between a Protestant/Christian and a Catholic? Would it constitute being unequally yoked? I mean, besides our common beliefs in Trinity, there appears to be absolutely nothing in common in everything else! But if a Catholic guy asks me out on a date, should I accept? Or should I flatly decline? Is there even a possibility that we can come to a neutral agreement in our faiths if we decide to date and marry? Is it ok to "compromise" in some ways? Will God hold it against us? After all, we both believe in the Trinity.

Do you both believe in Jesus Christ as your Savior?
That is the most important.....in that alone you are equally yoke!

Catholic/Protestant or Baptist/Pentecostal whatever when Christ is in the heart as Lord and Savior He will gives us the peace to work through what ever may come our way....in our indifferences!
Being married brings lots of things the two will find they don't totally agree with one another.
But that love you have for your Lord pours out toward the one you are with and respects and honors that person you are married too. And overlooks the things that really have no eternal value.
I don't know what the Catholic Church do these days in when one is not a member of the Catholic Church....I haven't read through the thread. If one has to go through a marriage class & so forth, heck, I think every one would benefit from that, Catholic or not....

Just wanted to throw this in, IF..... that b/f or g/f, spouse is asking one to do things out of the will of God and scripture. Then there should be concern!! And if one isn't married yet and this is in your relationship, uh....drop them!!!

Blessings

Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Quote:
But if a Catholic guy asks me out on a date, should I accept?
I cant tell you what guy to go out with...

But I can tell you that my mom was Catholic and my dad was Lutheran.
Dad asked my mom out on a date...

They married.
Had kids.
Found a way to raise their kids and worship God at the same time...

Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
It depends on how important your own beliefs are, I would say. If you're half-hearted about them and wouldn't mind converting to Catholicism for a staunch Catholic guy, raising your children in the Catholic church, following the Catholic rules, then go ahead. But if you wholeheartedly believe in the Protestant doctrine and way and wouldn't want to raise your kids any other way, then I would say you would do best not to even get involved with someone who is a staunch Catholic. Of course, a Catholic who doesn't even practice his beliefs wouldn't be good, either!

I do know that having very different beliefs about God can really be divisive in a marriage. It's hard enough even when you pretty much totally agree about everything to do with God! (experience talking)

Why don't you research Catholic doctrines and practices for yourself and see if you could live with them?

Sounds like you may already have your eye on a Catholic guy.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post

Just wanted to throw this in, IF..... that b/f or g/f, spouse is asking one to do things out of the will of God and scripture. Then there should be concern!! And if one isn't married yet and this is in your relationship, uh....drop them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post

But I can tell you that my mom was Catholic and my dad was Lutheran.
Dad asked my mom out on a date...

They married.
Had kids.
Found a way to raise their kids and worship God at the same time...

This is of interest to June for a couple of reasons.

One, due to the fact that June's parents were not of the same religious affiliation, and had they not married, obviously June wouldn't be posting here. (Now there's a weird thought for June to ponder. Her own non-June existence!)

Two, if some nice Christian guy (Catholic, Protestant, Methodist, or whatever) should ask this little heathen out on a date, would he be "wrong" in doing so?

-Because June's thinking that how one answers number two, above, would say alot as regards one's perspectives, and whose side one was coming down on...

Take gentle care.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:18 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
This is of interest to June for a couple of reasons.

One, due to the fact that June's parents were not of the same religious affiliation, and had they not married, obviously June wouldn't be posting here. (Now there's a weird thought for June to ponder. Her own non-June existence!)

Two, if some nice Christian guy (Catholic, Protestant, Methodist, or whatever) should ask this little heathen out on a date, would he be "wrong" in doing so?

-Because June's thinking that how one answers number two, above, would say alot as regards one's perspectives, and whose side one was coming down on...

Take gentle care.
I'm not sure if I'm getting the drift here in this response......

What I stated there and in my thoughts was abuse.... maybe I should of made my self clearer put that word in the statement you think?

If a person is making someone I don't care who it is regardless of religion or whatever, but manipulating and wanting them to violate their conscience in what they believe morally about life, God or religion, whatever it is............... dump them!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:54 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:

Well of course they can marry, but the question is, will it last?

I mean anyone can marry, Christians can marry unbelievers, atheists can marry Christians, but it probably wouldn't end well.

So, yall can get married but there might be some conflicts in your beliefs. Catholics believe that you have to pray to Mary and things of that sort, but Christians believe that we pray through Jesus. So, there could be some issues.

But if you marry the person and already know that there could be some issues and still marry them, then you are responsible if they come up. I mean you knew before hand.

The best person to ask is God. Ask Him if he approves of you marrying outside of your belief and see what he says. Our opinion is just that, but we don't have anything to do with your life, God does.

This is one of those issues if I was you, I would only trust God, and not other people's opinions. Our opinions want make you happy and someones opinion has the danger of giving you bad advice that could hurt and even send you down a bad road. So, trust God and talk to Him about it.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:17 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well of course they can marry, but the question is, will it last?

I mean anyone can marry, Christians can marry unbelievers, atheists can marry Christians, but it probably wouldn't end well.

So, yall can get married but there might be some conflicts in your beliefs. Catholics believe that you have to pray to Mary and things of that sort, but Christians believe that we pray through Jesus. So, there could be some issues.

But if you marry the person and already know that there could be some issues and still marry them, then you are responsible if they come up. I mean you knew before hand.

The best person to ask is God. Ask Him if he approves of you marrying outside of your belief and see what he says. Our opinion is just that, but we don't have anything to do with your life, God does.

This is one of those issues if I was you, I would only trust God, and not other people's opinions. Our opinions want make you happy and someones opinion has the danger of giving you bad advice that could hurt and even send you down a bad road. So, trust God and talk to Him about it.
You don't have to pray to Marry. I very rarely do. And why do you separate Catholics from Christians.....It's true. We ARE Christians too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity