Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

There are many marriages between Catholics and non Catholics , most of the time everything works out.
BUT and that is a very BIG BUT there are some here that should not.
If the OP even has to ask the question if she should date or marry a Catholic, she should cross the street and walk down the other side if she should see someone else that is Catholic walking on the same side of the street, by all means avoid any contact with anyone that is not of your faith/denomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM

The only time I seen it be a problem is when a couple gets married and one person does not really care about what faith their children are raised in so they agree to raise the children in their spouse's faith.
Later on that person that did not care gets reconnected to the faith they were brought up in in and becomes conflicted that the children are being raised in a different faith.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
You don't have to pray to Marry. I very rarely do. And why do you separate Catholics from Christians.....It's true. We ARE Christians too.
Good point, I think these days less people pray to Mary or the Saints for intersession. Although there is nothing wrong with it, it was more of a common practice in the past.

Mary and the Saints will no doubt continue to inspire people, and will be a part of how they connect with God.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
You don't have to pray to Marry. I very rarely do. And why do you separate Catholics from Christians.....It's true. We ARE Christians too.
From my experience of talking with Catholics they say that they pray to Mary. I never understood the consept of why, but they do. I know that there are different sects of Catholics but don't really know all of the differences between them all.

I had it explained to me this way, that some pray to Mary and Mary intercedes to Jesus!! It beats me why but some do.

But I don't understand why anyone would pray to Mary. I mean Jesus is the one that has all power in His hands, not Mary.

But this is just my belief and if some want to pray to Mary then they have the right.

Actually what I wrote I meant to put was Protestant Christian and Catholic. After I relized that I left the Protestant out it was to late for me to go back and change.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
Love will find a way....

Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I don't know. As far as I know, my dad had to convert to Catholicism to marry my mom.
But that was a long time ago. Maybe the rules have changed.
Wow. Where does a church get the right to say that someone has to convert to be married??? That is so insane.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:00 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
The Bible talks about not being unequally yoked, but what about relationships betweeen a Protestant/Christian and a Catholic? Would it constitute being unequally yoked? I mean, besides our common beliefs in Trinity, there appears to be absolutely nothing in common in everything else! But if a Catholic guy asks me out on a date, should I accept? Or should I flatly decline? Is there even a possiblity that we can come to a neutral agreement in our faiths if we decide to date and marry? Is it ok to "compromise" in some ways? Will God hold it against us? After all, we both believe in the Trinity.

In all seriousness, it's better that you are of the same faith. Watered down faith is hardly a good thing and that is usually what happens to the kids.
Even if the confusion is not apparent it lies below the surface. Your lack of conviction in your faith is implicit by marrying somebody of another faith.

Every marriage in my family from parents to uncles to aunts to cousins to siblings is ONE Catholic and ONE Lutheran. We are German afterall, so the chances of a mixed marriage are not that remote. But it is uncanny how it is almost ALWAYS a Catholic and a Lutheran. I don't know one marriage with two Lutherans or two Catholics.

Except of course my own. I was a Lutheran and I decided because Catholicism was not that far off from Lutheranism and my wife was the more religious, I converted to Catholicism the spring before I got married. I have never regretted the decision despite my Father's anger over the situation. I believe it is important to be unified in faith for the children. I didn't actually have children until 4 years later, but now that some of my kids are in their twenties, I know I did the right thing. They all seem devout and committed to their faith despite their youth.

I hope you make a wise decision. God Bless!!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
In all seriousness, it's better that you are of the same faith. Watered down faith is hardly a good thing and that is usually what happens to the kids.
Even if the confusion is not apparent it lies below the surface. Your lack of conviction in your faith is implicit by marrying somebody of another faith.

Every marriage in my family from parents to uncles to aunts to cousins to siblings is ONE Catholic and ONE Lutheran. We are German afterall, so the chances of a mixed marriage are not that remote. But it is uncanny how it is almost ALWAYS a Catholic and a Lutheran. I don't know one marriage with two Lutherans or two Catholics.

Except of course my own. I was a Lutheran and I decided because Catholicism was not that far off from Lutheranism and my wife was the more religious, I converted to Catholicism the spring before I got married. I have never regretted the decision despite my Father's anger over the situation. I believe it is important to be unified in faith for the children. I didn't actually have children until 4 years later, but now that some of my kids are in their twenties, I know I did the right thing. They all seem devout and committed to their faith despite their youth.

I hope you make a wise decision. God Bless!!

my highlights understanding the propensity for thoroughness.

(leading to much grief, wise or not, imho)

Old 06-14-2009, 07:46 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
my highlights understanding the propensity for thoroughness.

(leading to much grief, wise or not, imho)
The classic back-handed compliment.

I am what I am.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:37 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
The Bible talks about not being unequally yoked, but what about relationships betweeen a Protestant/Christian and a Catholic? Would it constitute being unequally yoked? I mean, besides our common beliefs in Trinity, there appears to be absolutely nothing in common in everything else! But if a Catholic guy asks me out on a date, should I accept? Or should I flatly decline? Is there even a possiblity that we can come to a neutral agreement in our faiths if we decide to date and marry? Is it ok to "compromise" in some ways? Will God hold it against us? After all, we both believe in the Trinity.

No problem if you don't take your faith seriously.

Honestly...where would you go to church? What would you teach the kids? As you've observed--there are some pretty major differences in teachings. Personally, I'm glad my wife and I can share a common faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity