Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Excellent for an article full of strawmans.

LOL Did you even read the article? Here is a small portion:

Psalm 5:5 clearly and plainly states: God hates ALL who work iniquity. That leaves us in an interesting situation with Scripture. Paul said it very plainly:
Rom 3:23
ALL HAVE SINNED, and come short of the glory of God;

Isa 53:6
All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned EVERY ONE to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
That means you. That means me. That means "every one." That means, according to the Bible, God hates ALL, because ALL have been "workers of iniquity." Are you with me so far?
2 Corinthians 5:14
For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead.
Everyone was dead in sin. Paul said: when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.(Romans 5:6). So, let's get this straight, if theologians interpret God's hate as being an emotional reaction, which would AS A RESULT, preclude him from loving too much, what is going on here. Would God send his Son to die for people he hates, or people he loves?

As a human, have you ever HATED anyone? I mean have you felt that hot poison in your stomach? Have you then been able to emotionally love that same person that you would kill your child for them? It's a bit hard to imagine isn't it? That's because God's ways are higher than our ways. Even his hatred is higher.

God hated this world of sinners, yet he loved those same sinners.

From Mercifultruth.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,170,876 times
Quote:
God’s love for the world is manifested in the fact that He gives people the opportunity to repent.......
Quote:

From my understanding, Calvinism does not present that God gives everyone an opportunity to repent. The majority has no opportunity for salvation. God is only merciful to a select few that He chose to be the elect.

Quote:
God hated this world of sinners, yet he loved those same sinners.

Amen.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-26-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
I cannot accept God as ever hated sinners . Yes He hates sin because , sin corrupts a mans mind and conscience and in turn He thinks God is against him because His heart condemns him .

The reason he was slain before the foundations of the earth was because He loved the sinner.

Jesus Christ is the same today , yesterday and forever Hebrew chapter 13 verse 8 . God is love 1 John chapter 4 verse 8

Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 PM

More notes:

Quote:
The dictionary defines "hyperbole" this way:

hyperbole (hi-per-bowl-ee)
1) obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2) an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Jacob I have loved, Esau I have hated
There you have it, according to them. God does not just hate the sin, but the sinner as well. Case closed, we should all go home right? Wait a minute. Let's take a close look at that. Let's find out whether this verse really is about God hating a sinner:
Rom 9:10-13
And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; It was said unto her (Rebecca), The elder shall serve the younger. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
This is not a even a scripture about God hating a sinner. According to the Bible, God had made a decision about Esau, and Jacob without them "having done any good or evil."

Within these scriptures we begin to see clues about what God really means by "hating Esau." Obviously God is using "linguistic hyperbole" to illustrate His choice before either son had been born, before either had done good or evil. Hi choice was not based on that criteria. God made a choice, and by action, He loved Jacob (by choosing him) and hated Esau (by not choosing him). This verse has nothing to do with lustful human hatred from a deeply wicked heart.
The Merciful Truth

I believe that hate means opposition when the scriptures speak of God hating workers of iniquity. He opposes sin and our old sinful/carnal man which is to be destroyed, yet He loves the person who is enslaved to sin, who is lost in sin, helpless. Whoever is commits sin is a slave to sin until the Son sets us free. God loves the sinner not the fact that we sin. God bless.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
What's more God's love is reliable we can rely on it 100% of the time

1 John chapter 4

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,392,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
B 57---I'm not trying to pick on you, but will use this post for example purposes.

GOD is very misunderstood by many, many people. I recall a scripture in the Old Testament where HE told His people Israel, that they did not understand Him.

The distinction made between Jacob and Esau, is the same as the distinction made between the Church and the unbelieveing Hebrews in the book of Romans. While GOD can and does sever all ties with some people, that is He kills them and cast thier soul into hell, yet, sometimes while people are still in the world, He will use His temporary rejection of them, in an effort to save them. So GOD Who is love, is always working to help people come to true repentance and faith towards Him.

Jacob recieved special favor from GOD. This was the will of GOD, and not by the will of Jacob. Jacob recieved grace. But GOD had and has an eternal purpose in what He did with Jacob. He would bless Jacob and use Him in blessing others and helping others come to the knowledge of the Truth, because GOD wants to save all people. GOD is love.

But all people can only be saved when they are willing to recieve the grace from GOD and continue to walk therein.

Esau, even so, was granted love from GOD. GOD still gave him enough to continue living. As it it written, "GOD sends rain upon the just and the unjust."

Esau still could have turned from his wicked ways and repented.

People do have the ability to accept or reject fellowship with GOD.

Those who end up in hell are those who have totally rejected the love of GOD. They rejected the only one Who could save them. So there is no more redemption possible.

The rich young ruler loved his money. He was not willing at that time to follow JESUS CHRIST, because JESUS ordered him to give all his wealth to the poor, then come and be a part of His decipleship. So the young man rejected CHRIST, though CHRIST offered Him salvation. The young man chose to serve money. So, unless that man later repented, GOD would have also rejected him.

In edit...It is important not to take for granted the offer of grace from GOD. We none know the time of our departure. Follow JESUS today. Do not put it off!
God Loved Jacob and hated easu, there is no rationalization from those facts..

rom 9:

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

God hates the seed of the serpent, the workers of iniquity.

ps 5:

5The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

He hates them and is going to punish them for their sins, because He did not love them in christ, and hence christ did not die for their sins..

Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 PM

pc says:

Quote:
God loves workers of iniquity
The inspired writer said ps 5:

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Psalm 145
9 The LORD is good to all;
he has compassion on all he has made.
10 All you have made will praise you, O LORD;
your saints will extol you.

17 The LORD is righteous in all his ways
and loving toward all he has made.

Matthew 5

43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust

God bless.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 PM

106 posts, read 136,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
God Loved Jacob and hated easu, there is no rationalization from those facts..

rom 9:

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

God hates the seed of the serpent, the workers of iniquity.

ps 5:

He hates them and is going to punish them for their sins, because He did not love them in christ, and hence christ did not die for their sins..
Are those who are a part of the "seed of the serpent" sinners? And are ALL SINNERS from among the seed of the serpent?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoman View Post
Are those who are a part of the "seed of the serpent" sinners? And are ALL SINNERS from among the seed of the serpent?
No, all sinners are not of the seed of the serpent..for the elect fell and sinned in adam their father..the non eect, fell and sinned in their father the devil..

Those men and women who fell in adam, have been saved, but those who sinned in the devil will not be saved but the wrath of God abideth on them..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity