Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,100,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yep. They are lost. That's not to say that Jesus doesn't comfort us. But this world is not the be all end all.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Let me expand a bit on my answer. Look at what this world is full of:
- people sinning
- extortion
- murders
- wars
- hate
- heartache
- disasters
- disease
- death

Sure there is some joy in this world too, but all men will eventually die. We have people telling us there is nothing after death. We have other people telling us that you are doomed to burn in fire forever if you don't do as they say. Then other people tell you, no they are wrong, if you don't do what we say, then you are doomed to be in eternal torment.

There is mass confusion. People are corrupt. People love money more than other humans. Everyone is selfish. People don't love as they should.

This is what the world is. Its bad news. All those people in the U.S. who are happy right now with the world, where is their foundation? What will happen when the U.S. suddenly disappears or falls bankrupt? Will they still think the world is so great if the U.S. were a 3rd world country? Why don't they care about all the familes destroyed in Iraq? People are lost, because they don't love, and they don't realize it.

I'm not saying everyone is like this, but if someone is content with this world and their position in it, they are lost, and probably won't understand the bad news. To a drug addict, the next hit of crack is good news. But maybe God will open their heart so they will understand they are being destroyed by the very thing they thought was "good news". Then they will realize they need a savior; then they will understand the real good news.
I think that verse is speaking of Values and desires etc.....i love the worls that God created....i love it everytime i look at a tree or a blade of grass or a mountain......it awes me when i know that it was made by his hand and it is also sustained by His hand.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
So....why should they? Children are starving because their governments are corrupt. What can they do, invade their country? but you don't like war remember. They can only live their life how do you suppose they help these children?
What about the chideren in our own country? take care of your own family first............

Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I think you are missing the point here Fundy.

If you are saying, people are aware of starving children, but feel helpless and powerless to do anything about it (because of corrupt governments etc.), then you can't also say that those same people are happy with the world. That is a bad news situation. People are in trouble and there's no way to save them. Thus we need a savior - a way out. Enter the good news....

Now on the other hand if you are saying people are aware of starving children, and they just don't give a damn, then this is still a bad news position. They may not see it, but you and I should see this (I would hope).

No matter how you look at it, this world needs a savior.
The world already has a Savior, they've had it for the last 2000 years, His Name is Jesus the Christ.....

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,144,488 times
Quote:
I won't even waist my time because you choose to believe what you want. I asked, do you tell people they have to repent?
Sigh. No one ever can tell me where it says we all deserve to go to hell.

Yes I would tell people they have to repent if they wanted to know what the good news was.

No I will not run around telling people they have to repent or burn in hell forever, because that is not the truth, and it is not the good news.

This is the whole point. How is it good news to say "repent or burn forever"? That is not a good news message. The so called good news preached by many is really not that good at all. Its actually DEVASTING news if you have just found out that your loved ones who have died are actually burning in torment forever.

Fundy, you and Richard1965 seem to be focusing on the bad news, when the good news is that ultimately THERE WILL BE NO BAD NEWS. Try to understand this. Good will prevail over bad, whether you like it or not.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The world already has a Savior, they've had it for the last 2000 years, His Name is Jesus the Christ.....
No kidding.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,586,604 times
Quote:
Sigh. No one ever can tell me where it says we all deserve to go to hell.

Yes I would tell people they have to repent if they wanted to know what the good news was.

No I will not run around telling people they have to repent or burn in hell forever, because that is not the truth, and it is not the good news.

This is the whole point. How is it good news to say "repent or burn forever"? That is not a good news message. The so called good news preached by many is really not that good at all. Its actually DEVASTING news if you have just found out that your loved ones who have died are actually burning in torment forever.

Fundy, you and Richard1965 seem to be focusing on the bad news, when the good news is that ultimately THERE WILL BE NO BAD NEWS. Try to understand this. Good will prevail over bad, whether you like it or not.
I said, nothing of burning in hell. I asked, do you tell people they have to repent and put their trust in Christ. If you don't then you are not giving the whole gospel.

do you explain to them what is repentance and to repent from what?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
What?!? Just because people go through horrible suffering, it doesn't mean they want to commit suicide. Some do, but the vast majority endure.

Well isn't that what you believe, even under your fundamentalist belief system? Jesus was beaten, mocked, killed so you could have eternal life?

You seem to be avoiding the issue: do you think this world is perfectly fine and doesn't need a savior?
He was talking about PHYSICAL life not spiritual life......we still have to play all this out to the end......it is just the way it is...........

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
I am curious Legoman, what is the bad news? I mean in order to have good news there must be bad news for the good news to be good, right? so what is the bad news?

Good point
You are focusing on the bad news and missing the point: the good news is that eventually there won't be bad news.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I agree this world needs a saviour which they have but not so we can be clothed and well fed and not have war in our back yard.
Jesus said He di not come to bring peace, but, a sword...and what do you do with a sword?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,586,604 times
Quote:
You are focusing on the bad news and missing the point: the good news is that eventually there won't be bad news.
I am focusing on the gospel and how it is presented rightly. Do you explain repentance and what they are repenting from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity