Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,203,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Revelations is a very difficult book to interpret but for us to decipher it we must still read it literally and then the Holy Spirit can guide us to the truth through our literal understanding.
Our "literal understanding" reverts back to our carnal mind, does it not? Filtered through the natural reasoning, a person can draw many different beliefs. Judgement is a huge point of contention, for instance.

These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Corinthians 2:13-14)

That doesn't sound like a scenario where one reads the text and then ponders through a set of answers that might fit - His ways and thoughts are higher than any of those natural ponderings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,585,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Our "literal understanding" reverts back to our carnal mind, does it not? Filtered through the natural reasoning, a person can draw many different beliefs. Judgement is a huge point of contention, for instance.

These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Corinthians 2:13-14)

That doesn't sound like a scenario where one reads the text and then ponders through a set of answers that might fit - His ways and thoughts are higher than any of those natural ponderings.
I am sorry I am now in a spiritual speaking mode so I don't understand this literal post to me but then I shouldn't be able to respond back either.....I know you don't understand...but you do....Oh I give up! I did it again.....I must speak spiritual...Noooooo!!!!......grrrr!!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,203,944 times
Quote:
I am sorry I am now in a spiritual speaking mode so I don't understand this literal post to me but then I shouldn't be able to respond back either.....I know you don't understand...but you do....Oh I give up! I did it again.....grrrr!!!!
I know what you mean - the key - imo - is having an intimate relationship with Him and knowing and understanding His ways. I don't believe He strays from that (though He can do whatever He wants), and that all His ways are prefect, just, and for the benefit of showing His creation who He is. His heart and passion are for His prize creation - man - and His desires for him have no need of changing, because He's almighty God...

...take it from there.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,223,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
If you really had the answer, you could explain it to him better.....so, i am wondering.....
Fortunately I do have the answer....but alas, those of a carnal mind will never understand it.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,223,765 times
Quote:
True, but it will not differ from what is written...the difference will come in the acceptance or rejection of the revealed word.....IOW will you take it for what it says or try to rationalize it into something that is more appealing to your senses.....
The Spirit begs to differ on that and so do I.....what a carnal mind reads literally and what the Spirit reveals about scripture to one of a spiritual mind differ greatly. If you truly seek the spiritual meanings of scripture...God will reveal it to you one day and then you will understand exactly what I am speaking about.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,096,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Sigh. No one ever can tell me where it says we all deserve to go to hell.

Yes I would tell people they have to repent if they wanted to know what the good news was.

No I will not run around telling people they have to repent or burn in hell forever, because that is not the truth, and it is not the good news.

This is the whole point. How is it good news to say "repent or burn forever"? That is not a good news message. The so called good news preached by many is really not that good at all. Its actually DEVASTING news if you have just found out that your loved ones who have died are actually burning in torment forever.

Fundy, you and Richard1965 seem to be focusing on the bad news, when the good news is that ultimately THERE WILL BE NO BAD NEWS. Try to understand this. Good will prevail over bad, whether you like it or not.
Repenting does not allow you to know the good news, the good news causes you to repent but only if God has quickened your spirit and gave you ears to hear,,,,,,

Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I said, nothing of burning in hell. I asked, do you tell people they have to repent and put their trust in Christ. If you don't then you are not giving the whole gospel.

do you explain to them what is repentance and to repent from what?
But, why must they repent?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,585,545 times
Quote:
But, why must they repent?
Repentance is not a work that earns salvation but we broke God's law and He is angry-His wrath remains on us unless we repent and put our trust in Him. Repentance is a change in behaviour, obviously you can't continue living the same way you always have with no change and still be a Christian, you must show some fruit which is why John the baptist said, produce fruit in keeping with repentance.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
You are focusing on the bad news and missing the point: the good news is that eventually there won't be bad news.
No, i have a well balanced theology.....But, what is the point in repenting in this life if i am going to have a second shot at it after the judgement?...there has to be a reason for me to repent....

Old 12-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
People tend to forget that Jesus...that Jesus they don't like.
It doesn't fit with the "i'm ok, you're ok" new age mantra....most of what i've seen on this site is New Age teachings.....The "everybody gets saved in the end" mantra is from eastern religions....it borders on reincartion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity